Israel’s Ben-Gurion Ordered ‘Pestering’ of Palestinians to Force them to Move Eastward

Israel’s first Prime Minister, David Ben-Gurion.
Israel’s first Prime Minister, David Ben-Gurion.
TT

Israel’s Ben-Gurion Ordered ‘Pestering’ of Palestinians to Force them to Move Eastward

Israel’s first Prime Minister, David Ben-Gurion.
Israel’s first Prime Minister, David Ben-Gurion.

The Institute for Palestinian Israeli Conflict Research (Akevot) published new pages from the diaries of Israel’s first Prime Minister, David Ben-Gurion, dating between 1948 and 1953.

Ben-Gurion’s journals expose many secrets, such as having Mizrahi Jews surveilled, trying to get Palestinian refugees to leave and detailing rapes committed by soldiers.

In one entry, Ben-Gurion explained how he gave orders to army forces to pester Palestinian refugees to force them to move eastward so that they would not return to their homes and territories in the area that Israel occupied in 1948.

In some cases, refugees from al-Ramla and Lod cities fled to Gaza through Ramallah because they thought it will be easier for them to return to their homes from there, Ben-Gurion wrote.

To avoid their return, the government ensured they were given a hard time to move east (to Jordan) because they will not head to the sea and Egypt will not receive them, he added.

On September 26, 1948, Ben-Gurion wondered who would prevent refugee attempts to return to their homes and cities that had come under Israeli occupation. Yosef Weitz, director of the Land and Afforestation Department of the Jewish National Fund (JNF), suggested the first Director of the Mossad, Reuven Shiloah, with the help of Weitz’s Transfer Committee.

The committee was founded during the Palestine War in 1948 in order to implement the Israeli government’s policies related to Arab refugees, especially means of encouraging them to leave the country.

On April 2, 1950, Ben-Gurion wrote that the situation in the Negev desert was “not good.”

He wrote details about the Israeli soldiers’ killing and raping of Arab women, and the Egyptian army’s response.

“They once again arrested our soldiers, who killed and raped two Arab girls. In response, the Egyptians planted a landmine, ambushed and killed five people: three soldiers and two civilians.”

Akevot said parts of the revealed entries were previously redacted and have now been released for public access. The newly unredacted segments were uploaded at its request.

It explained that the former PM wrote a detailed diary until he died, a practice he said he picked up at age 14.

“His diaries have been preserved and are now accessible to the public at the Ben-Gurion Archive. Still, many decades after they were written, numerous segments remain redacted and classified.”

The Institute stressed it will continue to fight for the release of archival materials that have been restricted for public access for no genuine reason, in keeping with the Archive Law and Access Regulations.



Report: Western Powers Warn Syria over Foreign Fighters in Army

Hayat Tahrir al-Sham fighters in Damascus. (Reuters)
Hayat Tahrir al-Sham fighters in Damascus. (Reuters)
TT

Report: Western Powers Warn Syria over Foreign Fighters in Army

Hayat Tahrir al-Sham fighters in Damascus. (Reuters)
Hayat Tahrir al-Sham fighters in Damascus. (Reuters)

US, French and German envoys have warned Syria's new rulers that their appointment of foreign fighters to senior military posts is a security concern and bad for their image as they try to forge ties with foreign states, two sources familiar with the matter said.

The warning from the US, part of Western efforts to get Syria's new leaders to reconsider the move, was delivered in a meeting between US envoy Daniel Rubinstein and Syria's de facto ruler Ahmed al-Sharaa on Wednesday at the presidential palace overlooking Damascus, a US official said.

"These appointments will not help them with their reputation in the US," the official said.

The foreign ministers of France and Germany, Jean-Noel Barrot and Annalena Baerbock, also broached the issue of foreign fighters drafted into the army during their meeting with Sharaa on Jan. 3, an official aware of the talks said.

Reuters reported the appointments on Dec. 30. The envoys' comments on the appointments have not previously been reported.

Sharaa's armed group, Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, led an offensive that ousted former president Bashar al-Assad on Dec. 8 and has since installed a government and disbanded the Assad-era army. It is now making efforts to reconstitute the armed forces.

Late last year, it made nearly 50 appointments including at least six foreign fighters, among them Chinese and central Asian Uyghurs, a Turkish citizen, an Egyptian and a Jordanian, Reuters reported at the time.

Three were given the rank of brigadier-general and at least three others the rank of colonel, a Syrian military source said.

HTS and allied groups have hundreds of foreign fighters in their ranks who came to Syria during the country's 13-year civil war, many of them followers of hardline interpretations of Islam.

Foreign capitals generally view foreign fighters as a key security threat as they suspect that some may seek to carry out attacks in their home countries after gaining experience abroad.

Officials of the new Syrian administration have said foreign fighters made sacrifices to help overthrow Assad and would have a place in Syria, adding they could be granted citizenship.

The Syrian defense ministry did not respond to a request for comment. The German foreign ministry did not comment.

A State Department spokesperson said Washington is in a continuing dialogue with the interim authorities in Damascus.

"Discussions have been constructive and have covered a wide range of domestic and international issues," the spokesperson said, adding there has been "tangible progress on counter-terrorism priorities, including ISIS."

The US official and a Western source said that Damascus explained the appointments of foreign fighters by saying they could not simply be sent back home or abroad where they may face persecution, and it was better to keep them in Syria.

The US official said authorities also explained that these people had helped rid Syria of Assad and some had been in the country for more than 10 years and so were part of society.