US-African Efforts Racing against Time to Resolve GERD Crisis

Water flows through Ethiopia's Grand Renaissance Dam as it undergoes construction work on the river Nile in Ethiopia. (Reuters file photo)
Water flows through Ethiopia's Grand Renaissance Dam as it undergoes construction work on the river Nile in Ethiopia. (Reuters file photo)
TT

US-African Efforts Racing against Time to Resolve GERD Crisis

Water flows through Ethiopia's Grand Renaissance Dam as it undergoes construction work on the river Nile in Ethiopia. (Reuters file photo)
Water flows through Ethiopia's Grand Renaissance Dam as it undergoes construction work on the river Nile in Ethiopia. (Reuters file photo)

The joint US and African efforts to resolve the Grand Ethiopia Renaissance Dam (GERD) crisis are racing against time, as Ethiopia insists on implementing the second filling next July, while Egypt and Sudan reject any partial solution.

US Special Envoy for the Horn of Africa Jeffrey Feltman concluded on Monday his tour to Egypt, Sudan, and Ethiopia where he met with the Ethiopian Minister of Water, Irrigation, and Energy Seleshi Bekele, in the presence of the Ethiopian GERD negotiating team.

Bekele briefed the special envoy on the process of building the dam and the tripartite negotiations, explaining that the GERD is a source of cooperation and helps achieve regional integration.

Feltman, who was recently assigned to his post, asserted that he will focus on resolving the dispute. He is expected to hold talks with UN and African Union (AU) officials in Addis Ababa.

Cairo views the dam on the main tributary of the Nile River as an "existential threat", warning that it will have a negative impact on its limited water share, while Khartoum fears that the GERD will affect its dams. They are both insisting on an agreement that regulates the filling and operation.

The US envoy’s tour coincides with AU efforts, which sponsored the stalled negotiations between the three countries launched in July last year, to reduce tensions.

Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi, who chairs the African Union, conducted a similar round of talks in an attempt to resume negotiations.

Tshisekedi put forward a new initiative to bring the parties together and reach a solution before the second filling.

Addis Ababa announced in 2020 that it had completed the first phase of filling the dam, achieving its target of 4.9 billion cubic meters, which allowed the testing of the first two turbines of the dam. This year, it is targeting filling an additional 13.5 billion cubic meters.

The dam is expected to become the largest hydroelectric power station in Africa, with an expected capacity of 6,500 megawatts to meet the needs of Ethiopia’s 110 million people.

A spokesman for the Ethiopian Foreign Ministry said that the construction and filling of the dam would proceed according to plan, adding that Addis Ababa is determined to make fair use of the Nile's resources without harming the two downstream countries.

Over the past weeks, Ethiopia reintroduced an old proposal, by signing a procedure agreement on the second filling only and offered to exchange data of the second filling. However, Egypt insists on a binding legal agreement.

President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi has told Tshisekedi that his country would not accept a compromise of its water security over the ongoing dispute.

Sisi stressed the need for a legally binding deal that preserves Cairo’s water rights and averts further tensions and instability in the region.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.