Sudan’s commander-in-chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan referred to the prosecutors seven accused and 92 suspects involved in last week’s unrest near the Army General Command in Khartoum.
On Tuesday, security forces killed two people and injured dozens in an attack on a peaceful sit-in commemorating the second anniversary of the crackdown on the Ramadan 2019 protest, which left hundreds of people dead and injured.
The army said Saturday it had handed prosecutors the results of a probe into the 2019 killings after hundreds rallied this week calling for justice.
Burhan handed the results to prosecutor general Tagelsir al-Hebr, the military said in a statement.
The results included a list of army personnel suspected to be involved in the unrest, as well as an order “to lift their immunity” to initiate legal proceedings and reach final rulings, it added.
Earlier, a member of the Transitional Sovereignty Council Lieutenant General Shams El-Din Kabbashi confirmed that a number of officers and soldiers were arrested and are under investigation on charges of killing protesters in front of the army headquarters last Tuesday.
Kabbashi said the armed forces formed a committee to investigate who caused the events.
Sudanese Minister of Cabinet Affairs Khaled Omar Youssef said on his Facebook page that these are the first steps towards achieving justice for the two martyrs shot dead last week.
Youssef indicated that the immunity of the convicts was waived, and they were transferred to the public prosecutor for investigation, ahead of trial.
He stressed that the government is determined to achieve justice, in fulfillment of the slogans of the Sudanese revolution.