Lebanon’s Presidency Considers Calling National Dialogue if Govt Crisis Persists

Lebanon's President Michel Aoun talks to Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri during a cabinet meeting in Baabda near Beirut, Lebanon December 5, 2017. (Reuters)
Lebanon's President Michel Aoun talks to Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri during a cabinet meeting in Baabda near Beirut, Lebanon December 5, 2017. (Reuters)
TT

Lebanon’s Presidency Considers Calling National Dialogue if Govt Crisis Persists

Lebanon's President Michel Aoun talks to Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri during a cabinet meeting in Baabda near Beirut, Lebanon December 5, 2017. (Reuters)
Lebanon's President Michel Aoun talks to Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri during a cabinet meeting in Baabda near Beirut, Lebanon December 5, 2017. (Reuters)

Head of Lebanon’s Free Patriotic Movement, MP Gebran Bassil has recently called on President Michel Aoun to hold a national dialogue, amid severe disputes over the formation of a new government.

Sources close to the president said that dialogue was one of the options on the table if the government deadlock continued, adding: “But no decision has been taken so far in this regard; the idea is being discussed and assessed because the priority now is to form a government.”

“If it became clear that it was impossible to speed up the formation process, then it would be better to engage in dialogue and set a specific date for it,” the sources remarked.

However, the Mustaqbal Movement, Progressive Socialist Party (PSP) and Lebanese Forces all agree that national dialogue would be pointless in the cabinet formation efforts.

Deputy leader of Mustaqbal Mustafa Alloush said he supported dialogue in general, but added that based on previous experiences, such option would not be fruitful “because everyone comes to speak, but no one listens to the other.”

“The priority today is not for dialogue, but to form a salvation government and stop the collapse; only then would it be possible to call for dialogue or even discuss dissolving parliament to hold new elections, because the electoral law needs dialogue, just like any constitutional amendment,” Alloush told Asharq Al-Awsat.

PSP MP Hadi Abu Al-Hassan said: “In principle, we always support the call for any dialogue with Lebanese parties to find solutions to crises. However, if the goal of the dialogue today is to form a government, then we will not support it because we believe that this issue must be resolved between Aoun and Prime Minister-designate Saad al-Hariri according to the constitution.”

Lebanese Forces MP Fadi Saad reaffirmed his party’s demand for the need to hold early parliamentary elections.

On the other hand, Speaker Nabih Berri’s Development and Liberation bloc has expressed support to holding a national dialogue.

MP Yassine Jaber told a television interview: “What is required today is an initiative by the President of the Republic to hold a serious discussion in the country.”

Addressing Aoun, Jaber said: “Mr. President, the country is drowning, and you have to call for a dialogue.”



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.