French Open 2021: Is it Time for the Changing of the Guard?

Novak Djokovic. (AP)
Novak Djokovic. (AP)
TT

French Open 2021: Is it Time for the Changing of the Guard?

Novak Djokovic. (AP)
Novak Djokovic. (AP)

Forgive Novak Djokovic if he's just a little bit tired of hearing about, and being asked to address, how much longer he, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer can stay at the top of tennis.

Or, put another way, whether a younger generation of men finally is poised to consistently win Grand Slam titles.

“I mean, I said it a thousand times. I don’t know how many times people want me to repeat it. Of course the ‘Next Gen’” — a marketing slogan pushed by the ATP — “is there, is coming, whatever. But here we are, still winning the biggest tournaments and Slams. I don’t know what to tell you other than that,” Djokovic said.

“I’m not focused on the ‘Next Gen,' even though I know ... it creates a story. People like to talk about it. Fine. The guys are there. They are already establishing themselves in the Top 5, Top 10 of the world. Nothing new,” he continued, then noted with pride: “But we are still there.”

When the French Open begins in Paris on Sunday, it will feel in some ways like order restored after the 2020 edition was altered in two significant ways because of the coronavirus pandemic: Only 1,000 spectators were let into Roland Garros per day, and competition started in September instead of May. Back in its rightful spot on the calendar — well, delayed by a week because of COVID-19 concerns, but close enough — and with about 5,300 fans allowed in each of the first 10 days, then 10,000 or more each of the last five days, could the clay-court championship serve as the setting for a symbolic changing of the guard?

Or, to Djokovic's point, will the elders remain in charge?

“A lot of people underestimate the time and the era we are playing in, with by far the three best players in the history of the game,” said Dominic Thiem, whose US Open title last September makes him the only first-time major men's champion since 2014. “It's more than clear that it’s incredibly tough to win Grand Slam tournaments, having to beat, most of the times, two of them.”

A glimpse at the dominance:

— 15 of the past 16 Grand Slam tournaments were won by the Big Three;

— starting with the 2005 French Open, they collected 54 of the past 63 major titles;

— in that same span, 23 Slam finals involved one of these matchups: Djokovic vs. Nadal, Djokovic vs. Federer, or Nadal vs. Federer.

That can’t happen at Roland Garros because they are in the same half of the bracket for the first time at a Grand Slam tournament. No. 1 Djokovic could face No. 8 Federer in the quarterfinals; one of them could meet No. 3 Nadal in the semifinals.

The other half includes No. 5 Stefanos Tsitsipas and No. 6 Alexander Zverev, who are among the 20-something men considered contenders to grab a first major trophy, along with No. 2 Daniil Medvedev (although even he would acknowledge not in Paris, where he is 0-4 so far) and No. 7 Andrey Rublev.

Things look quite different in the women's game, where the question is which player might extend the recent run of success of the younger set in women’s tennis. Iga Swiatek, for example, won last year’s French Open at age 19 (she turns 20 on Monday). Other relatively recent Slam champs include Ash Barty, 25, Sofia Kenin, 22, and Bianca Andreescu, 20.

And then there is someone like Coco Gauff, still just 17, who keeps moving up the WTA rankings. She, like 19-year-old Jannik Sinner in the men's game, is seen as part of a group of possible future stars, ready to step forth as Serena Williams, who is 39, and the top men move on.

As in any sport — or, truthfully, any business — eventually there is turnover. Has to be, of course.

The guessing game in tennis has been about both who will break through and when.

With Federer turning 40 in August, Nadal turning 35 next week and Djokovic now 34, there did seem to be some recent evidence that such a shift might be happening, including in the rankings, where Medvedev is the first man other than the Big Three or Andy Murray to be ranked in the Top 2 in 15 years.

Thiem's triumph in New York at age 27 made him the first man born in the 1990s to win a Grand Slam title. Runner-up Zverev and the other semifinalists at Flushing Meadows also belong to that decade — and the 2020 U.S. Open was the first Slam since 2004 without at least one of Djokovic, Nadal or Federer in the semifinals.

A caveat, though: Neither Federer (coming off two knee operations that sidelined him for more than a year) nor Nadal entered the US Open, and Djokovic was disqualified in the fourth round.

Three recent Masters 1000 finals featured matchups between up-and-comers, including Tsitsipas vs. Rublev at Monte Carlo.

But at the last Masters 1000, on clay at the Italian Open this month, Djokovic faced Nadal in the final (Nadal won, perfect preparation for his bid for a 14th French Open title and 21st Grand Slam trophy overall).

After beating Tsitsipas in the semifinals in Rome, Djokovic ran into Nadal in the locker room.

“We kind of joked around,” Djokovic said, “that the old guys are still not giving up.”



Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.


Japan Hails ‘New Chapter’ with First Olympic Pairs Skating Gold 

Gold medalists Japan's Riku Miura and Japan's Ryuichi Kihara pose after the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
Gold medalists Japan's Riku Miura and Japan's Ryuichi Kihara pose after the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Japan Hails ‘New Chapter’ with First Olympic Pairs Skating Gold 

Gold medalists Japan's Riku Miura and Japan's Ryuichi Kihara pose after the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
Gold medalists Japan's Riku Miura and Japan's Ryuichi Kihara pose after the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Japan hailed a "new chapter" in the country's figure skating on Tuesday after Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara pulled off a stunning comeback to claim pairs gold at the Milan-Cortina Olympics.

Miura and Kihara won Japan's first Olympic pairs gold with the performance of their careers, coming from fifth overnight to land the title with personal best scores.

It was the first time Japan had won an Olympic figure skating pairs medal of any color.

The country's government spokesman Minoru Kihara said their achievement had "moved so many people".

"This triumph is a result of the completeness of their performance, their high technical skill, the expressive power born from their harmony, and above all the bond of trust between the two," the spokesman said.

"I feel it is a remarkable feat that opens a new chapter in the history of Japanese figure skating."

Newspapers rushed to print special editions commemorating the pair's achievement.

Miura and Kihara, popularly known collectively in Japan as "Rikuryu", went into the free skate trailing after errors in their short program.

Kihara said that he had been "feeling really down" and blamed himself for the slip-up, conceding: "We did not think we would win."

Instead, they spectacularly turned things around and topped the podium ahead of Georgia's Anastasiia Metelkina and Luka Berulava, who took silver ahead of overnight leaders Minerva Fabienne Hase and Nikita Volodin of Germany.

American gymnastics legend Simone Biles was in the arena in Milan to watch the action.

"I'm pretty sure that was perfection," Biles said, according to the official Games website.


Mourinho Says It Won’t Take ‘Miracle’ to Take Down ‘Wounded King’ Real Madrid in Champions League

Benfica's coach Jose Mourinho reacts during a press conference on the eve of their UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match against Real Madrid at Benfica Campus in Seixal, outskirts of Lisbon, on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
Benfica's coach Jose Mourinho reacts during a press conference on the eve of their UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match against Real Madrid at Benfica Campus in Seixal, outskirts of Lisbon, on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Mourinho Says It Won’t Take ‘Miracle’ to Take Down ‘Wounded King’ Real Madrid in Champions League

Benfica's coach Jose Mourinho reacts during a press conference on the eve of their UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match against Real Madrid at Benfica Campus in Seixal, outskirts of Lisbon, on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
Benfica's coach Jose Mourinho reacts during a press conference on the eve of their UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match against Real Madrid at Benfica Campus in Seixal, outskirts of Lisbon, on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

José Mourinho believes Real Madrid is "wounded" after the shock loss to Benfica and doesn't think it will take a miracle to stun the Spanish giant again in the Champions League.

Benfica defeated Madrid 4-2 in the final round of the league phase to grab the last spot in the playoffs, and in the process dropped the 15-time champion out of the eight automatic qualification places for the round of 16.

Coach Mourinho's Benfica and his former team meet again in Lisbon on Tuesday in the first leg of the knockout stage.

"They are wounded," Mourinho said Monday. "And a wounded king is dangerous. We will play the first leg with our heads, with ambition and confidence. We know what we did to the kings of the Champions League."

Mourinho acknowledged that Madrid remained heavily favored and it would take a near-perfect show for Benfica to advance.

"I don’t think it takes a miracle for Benfica to eliminate Real Madrid. I think we need to be at our highest level. I don’t even say high, I mean maximum, almost bordering on perfection, which does not exist. But not a miracle," he said.

"Real Madrid is Real Madrid, with history, knowledge, ambition. The only comparable thing is that we are two giants. Beyond that, there is nothing else. But football has this power and we can win."

Benfica's dramatic win in Lisbon three weeks ago came thanks to a last-minute header by goalkeeper Anatoliy Trubin, allowing the team to grab the 24th and final spot for the knockout stage on goal difference.

"Trubin won’t be in the attack this time," Mourinho joked.

"I’m very used to these kinds of ties, I’ve been doing it all my life," he said. "People often think you need a certain result in the first leg for this or that reason. I say there is no definitive result."