Gulf and Arab countries, as well as the United States, slammed the Iran-backed Houthis militias in Yemen for their continued terrorist attacks against Saudi Arabia.
They urged the international community to take an immediate decisive position to end these repeated violations, adding that their continuation is a dangerous escalation and new evidence of the militias’ undermining of regional security and stability.
The Saudi-led Arab coalition announced on Monday that it had intercepted and downed an armed Houthi drone targeting Khamis Mushait in southern Saudi Arabia.
On Sunday, the Kingdom’s civil defense directorate announced that another drone, fired by the Houthis from Yemen, had crashed on a school in the Asir Region. No one was injured in the attack.
The US on Monday slammed the Houthis for their attack on Abha city in Saudi Arabia, urging the militias to commit to a lasting ceasefire.
In a tweet, the US Department of State for Near Eastern Affairs said: “We strongly condemn the Houthi drone attack that struck and damaged a school in the Asir Region of Saudi Arabia.”
“Such attacks threaten civilians, including school children. We join other nations in condemning the attack and call on the Houthis to commit to a lasting ceasefire.”
Egypt condemned the Houthis for persisting in their terrorist attacks against Saudi territory. In a statement, the foreign ministry expressed its full solidarity with the Kingdom and all the measures it takes to protect its security, stability and the safety of its citizens and residents.
France strongly denounced the Houthi attack on Asir. French Ambassador to Riyadh, Ludovic Pouille tweeted that he was “scandalized by the fall of a drone loaded with explosives launched by the Houthis on a school in Asir.”
“In the name of the French Embassy in Riyadh I very strongly condemn this unacceptable coward attack on a civilian place dedicated to knowledge and education.”
The United Arab Emirates slammed the Houthis, saying their acts are blatant defiance of the international community and international laws and norms. It urged the international community to take an immediate decisive stance to put an end to such attacks that target vital installations in the Kingdom, as well as the global economy and energy supplies.
Bahrain’s foreign ministry condemned the Houthi attack, saying it violates international humanitarian law.
Jordan reiterated that it will constantly stand by Saudi Arabia against any threat. The security of both kingdoms is indivisible and any threat to Saudi Arabia is a threat to the security and stability of the entire region, said its foreign ministry.
Organization of Islamic Cooperation Secretary-General Dr. Yousef A. Al-Othaimeen condemned the Houthis, denouncing the parties that are supporting them with weapons and funds.
The Gulf Cooperation Council also slammed the repeated Houthi terrorist attacks. GCC Secretary-General Dr. Nayef al-Hajraf said the militias’ persistence in carrying out such attacks reflects their disregard of international laws and norms. He urged the international community to assume its responsibilities and put an end to these violations that target vital installations and civilian facilities.
On the diplomatic level, US Special Envoy to Yemen Tim Lenderking is continuing his efforts to reach a political and humanitarian solution to the Yemeni crisis. He held meetings with several European Union ambassadors and representatives of international relief agencies to that end.
In a tweet, the State Department said that Lenderking had held a fruitful meeting with head of the US Agency for International Development (USAID), Samantha Power “to discuss need for more donors to provide additional humanitarian funding to address the growing crisis in Marib, ensuring free flow of fuel into and throughout Yemen, and overcoming obstacles to lifesaving humanitarian assistance in Yemen.”
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken had last week vowed that his country will continue to pressure the Houthis to accept a ceasefire and agree to take part in real negotiations to resolve the conflict.
“The United States will continue to apply pressure to the Houthis, including through targeted sanctions, to advance those goals,” he said in a statement.
The US last week slapped sanctions on members of a smuggling network that generates funds for the Houthis. The network works with the Quds Force, the arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, to generate “tens of millions of dollars in revenue from the sale of commodities, like Iranian petroleum,” a US Treasury statement said.