Int’l Effort to Launch Integrated Program for Humanitarian Response to Lebanon’s Crisis

French President Emmanuel Macron meets members of the military mobilized for the reconstruction of the port of Beirut, Sept. 1, 2020. (Reuters)
French President Emmanuel Macron meets members of the military mobilized for the reconstruction of the port of Beirut, Sept. 1, 2020. (Reuters)
TT

Int’l Effort to Launch Integrated Program for Humanitarian Response to Lebanon’s Crisis

French President Emmanuel Macron meets members of the military mobilized for the reconstruction of the port of Beirut, Sept. 1, 2020. (Reuters)
French President Emmanuel Macron meets members of the military mobilized for the reconstruction of the port of Beirut, Sept. 1, 2020. (Reuters)

World powers are trying to secure humanitarian aid for the Lebanese people as the country continues to collapse economically amid a deadlock in the formation of a new government.

French President Emmanuel Macron recently announced that he was working with international partners to establish a financial mechanism that guarantees the continuation of main public services in the country.

“We are technically working with several partners in the international community so that at some point, (...) if the absence of a government persisted, we could succeed in preserving a system under international constraint, which would then allow the funding of essential services and support the Lebanese people,” Macron told a news conference last week.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a Lebanese minister said that Paris was adopting a new approach to the Lebanese situation, in coordination with the European Union and through US support, to resolve certain social and economic problems “after realizing that it was unable to achieve a political breakthrough.”

According to the official, the international community will focus on two aspects.

“The first is aid, which will be provided through international institutions as loans from the World Bank that have already been approved. But their purpose will be changed to suit the developments taking place and fill social and humanitarian gaps,” said the official.

“The second is represented by the establishment of a fund for urgent aid, provided that the assistance goes directly to the relevant institutions such as schools, municipalities and hospitals” in an effort to help the poor.

The head of the Parliament’s Finance and Budget Committee, MP Ibrahim Kanaan, said after a meeting with a delegation from the World Bank earlier this week that World Bank projects worth one billion dollars have not been implemented. “We are discussing the reallocation of the funds to meet current needs.”

Professor of Politics and Planning at the American University of Beirut and supervisor of the Crisis Observatory Dr. Nasser Yassin told Asharq Al-Awsat that the international community was seeking to “launch an integrated humanitarian response program to target about one million Lebanese.”

Yassin had followed the recent discussions that took place at the United Nations headquarters in Geneva over the humanitarian situation in Lebanon.

“This program will focus on basic and humanitarian services from food security to health and education, with an initial funding of USD300 million over the next eight months,” he said.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.