Kadhimi, Biden to Meet Soon, Discuss Withdrawal of US Troop

  Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi. (Khalid Mohammed/Pool via REUTERS)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi. (Khalid Mohammed/Pool via REUTERS)
TT
20

Kadhimi, Biden to Meet Soon, Discuss Withdrawal of US Troop

  Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi. (Khalid Mohammed/Pool via REUTERS)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi. (Khalid Mohammed/Pool via REUTERS)

Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi will travel to Washington in July and meet with US President Joe Biden.

The two leaders are set to discuss the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, based on previous talks with former US President Donald Trump.

Biden’s administration, however, seeks to tackle means of addressing pro-Iranian factions active in Iraq.

Earlier on Sunday, the US forces launched airstrikes targeting pro-Iranian militants near the Albu Kamal district on the Syrian side of the border.

The Pentagon said the strikes targeted operational and weapons storage facilities at two locations in Syria and one in Iraq, all near the common border, that had been used by militias engaged in drone attacks against US interests in Iraq.

According to sources familiar with the matter, Kadhimi held talks with Head of the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) Badr Organization Hadi al-Ameri following the attacks.

During the meeting, Ameri stressed that the demands of the Shiite political forces and armed factions changed after the recent US strikes, calling for an immediate and complete withdrawal of the US forces from the country, the sources affirmed.

Kadhimi vowed to discuss the matter during his upcoming visit to Washington, the sources added.

Iraq’s National Security Adviser Qassem al-Araji affirmed that Kadhimi will address the issue with Biden.

“The position of the Iraqi government is clear in this regard. The prime minister condemned the attack, describing it as a violation of the state’s sovereignty. The premier is planning a visit to Washington to set a timetable for US troop withdrawal,” he stressed.

Al-Jazeera quoted Araji as noting that his country does not need foreign combat forces on its soil and has enough forces.

Earlier in April, the US and Iraq agreed on the withdrawal of all remaining US and coalition combat troops deployed to fight ISIS in the Middle Eastern country.

Kadhimi also ordered the formation of a committee that would hold technical talks with the US side to approve “mechanisms and timings” related to the redeployment.



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.