Iraq: 'Iranian Factions' Divided Over Response to US Strikes

Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units march during a parade marking the annual Quds Day, or Jerusalem Day, in Baghdad, Iraq, June 23, 2017. - REUTERS/Khalid al Mousily
Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units march during a parade marking the annual Quds Day, or Jerusalem Day, in Baghdad, Iraq, June 23, 2017. - REUTERS/Khalid al Mousily
TT

Iraq: 'Iranian Factions' Divided Over Response to US Strikes

Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units march during a parade marking the annual Quds Day, or Jerusalem Day, in Baghdad, Iraq, June 23, 2017. - REUTERS/Khalid al Mousily
Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units march during a parade marking the annual Quds Day, or Jerusalem Day, in Baghdad, Iraq, June 23, 2017. - REUTERS/Khalid al Mousily

The pro-Iranian Popular Mobilization factions in Iraq failed to reach a consensus on the military response to the US air raid that targeted the headquarters of a faction on the Iraqi-Syrian border last week.

The leaders of the factions held successive meetings to discuss the timing of the response, without reaching an agreement, as some parties warned against “delicate and difficult calculations” that might open the door to “more severe” US strikes.

However, high-ranking sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the meetings witnessed sharp differences between leaders, who wanted a quick and strong strike, and others who called for the need to study the dangerous repercussions of a continued confrontation, noting that the US strike increased the division and confusion among the factions.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a leader in the Al-Fateh Alliance said that the division of the leaders was focused on two main points.

Some saw that ignoring the US raid would weaken the factions’ influence vis-à-vis the Iraqi government, while others cautioned that any response would mean that the next blow of the Biden administration would be inevitably fatal.

The leader claims that a number of faction senior members “have new security data regarding the nature of the US moves, which gives the impression that Washington’s concessions with Iran do not mean the cessation of military strikes against its interests in Iraq, especially against the Popular Mobilization camps.”

On Monday, the US Department of Defense said that the strikes it had carried out were necessary and deliberate against Iranian-backed factions, in response to drone attacks, noting that the targeted camps were used by Kataeb Hezbollah and Sayyid al-Shuhada.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.