Four Dead from Devastating Cyprus Forest Fire

Smoke from a forest fire is seen in Ora village, Larnaca, Cyprus, July 3, 2021, in this picture obtained from social media. (Andrea Anastasiou via Reuters)
Smoke from a forest fire is seen in Ora village, Larnaca, Cyprus, July 3, 2021, in this picture obtained from social media. (Andrea Anastasiou via Reuters)
TT

Four Dead from Devastating Cyprus Forest Fire

Smoke from a forest fire is seen in Ora village, Larnaca, Cyprus, July 3, 2021, in this picture obtained from social media. (Andrea Anastasiou via Reuters)
Smoke from a forest fire is seen in Ora village, Larnaca, Cyprus, July 3, 2021, in this picture obtained from social media. (Andrea Anastasiou via Reuters)

Four people were found dead on Sunday as a huge fire raged for a second day in Cyprus, razing tracts of forest and gutting dozens of homes in a blaze one official called the worst on record.

The blaze, fanned by strong winds, affected at least 10 communities over an area exceeding 50 square kilometers (19 square miles) in the foothills of the Troodos Mountain range, an area of pine forest and densely vegetated shrubland.

"It’s one of the most destructive (fires) we have experienced, unfortunately, with victims," Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades told reporters from the area. The state would stand by and support all those affected, he said.

The area includes some of Cyprus's most picturesque mountain villages. Witnesses said slopes of lush pine or fruit tree orchards had been turned to smoldering black stumps on a barren grey landscape.

"It will take them at least 10 years to grow back. How are we to survive?" said farmer Andreas Costa, 70, who wept as Anastasiades tried to comfort him.

"It burnt everything," Costa told state TV.

The victims, thought to be Egyptian nationals, were found dead close to Odou, a mountainous community north of the cities of Limassol and Larnaca.

"All indications point to it being the four persons who were missing since yesterday," Interior Minister Nicos Nouris said.

The EU's executive, the European Commission, said firefighting planes had departed from Greece to battle the fire and Italy was also planning to deploy aerial firefighters.

Israel also pledged assistance and aircraft from British military bases in Cyprus also contributed.

The EU's emergency Copernicus satellite was activated to provide damage assessment maps of the affected areas, the Commission said in a statement.

The cause of the fire, which started around midday on Saturday, was unclear. Cyprus experiences high temperatures in the summer months, with temperatures in recent days exceeding 40 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit).

Police said they were questioning a 67-year-old person in connection with the blaze.



India Seizes Three Iran-linked US-sanctioned Tankers

This photo posted on the X account of the US Department of Defense on February 15, 2026 shows what the Department of Defense says are US military forces preparing to interdict and board an oil tanker, the Veronica III, in the Indian Ocean. (Photo by Handout / US Department of Defense / AFP)
This photo posted on the X account of the US Department of Defense on February 15, 2026 shows what the Department of Defense says are US military forces preparing to interdict and board an oil tanker, the Veronica III, in the Indian Ocean. (Photo by Handout / US Department of Defense / AFP)
TT

India Seizes Three Iran-linked US-sanctioned Tankers

This photo posted on the X account of the US Department of Defense on February 15, 2026 shows what the Department of Defense says are US military forces preparing to interdict and board an oil tanker, the Veronica III, in the Indian Ocean. (Photo by Handout / US Department of Defense / AFP)
This photo posted on the X account of the US Department of Defense on February 15, 2026 shows what the Department of Defense says are US military forces preparing to interdict and board an oil tanker, the Veronica III, in the Indian Ocean. (Photo by Handout / US Department of Defense / AFP)

India has seized three US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran this month and stepped up surveillance in its maritime zone to curb illicit trade, a source said on Monday, confirming a post on X by Indian authorities earlier in February that had been deleted.

India aims to prevent its waters from being used for ship-to-ship transfers that obscure the origin of oil cargoes, the source with direct knowledge of the matter told ‌Reuters.

The seizures and ‌heightened surveillance follow an improvement in US-India relations. Washington ‌earlier ⁠this month announced it ⁠will cut import tariffs on Indian goods to 18% from 50%, after New Delhi agreed to stop Russian oil imports.

The three sanctioned vessels - Stellar Ruby, Asphalt Star and Al Jafzia - frequently changed their identities to evade law enforcement by coastal states, the source said, adding that their owners were based overseas.

VESSELS SEIZED OFFSHORE MUMBAI

Iranian state media cited the National Iranian Oil Company as ⁠saying that the three tankers seized by India ‌had no connection to the company. It ‌said that neither the cargoes nor the vessels were linked to the company.

Indian authorities ‌had said in a post on X on February 6 that ‌they intercepted three vessels about 100 nautical miles west of Mumbai after detecting suspicious activity involving a tanker in India's exclusive economic zone.

The post was later deleted, but the source confirmed that the vessels had been escorted to Mumbai for ‌further investigation.

The Indian Coast Guard has since deployed about 55 ships and between 10 and 12 aircraft for round-the-clock ⁠surveillance in its ⁠maritime zones, according to the source.

The US Office of Foreign Assets Control said last year it had sanctioned three vessels, called Global Peace, Chil 1, and Glory Star 1, with IMO numbers identical to the ships lately captured by India.

Two of the three tankers are linked to Iran, with Al Jafzia having carried fuel oil from Iran to Djibouti in 2025 and Stellar Ruby flagged in Iran, according to LSEG data.

The Asphalt Star mostly operated on voyages around China, the data show.

Sanctioned oil and fuel are often sold at deep discounts due to the risks involved, with intermediaries moving cargo through complex ownership structures, false documentation and mid-sea transfers that complicate enforcement.


Moscow, Kyiv Set for Geneva Peace Talks amid Russian Attacks

FILE PHOTO: Soldiers hold a Russian flag in Pokrovsk, Donetsk Region, Ukraine, in this screengrab from video released December 1, 2025. Russian Defense Ministry/Handout via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: Soldiers hold a Russian flag in Pokrovsk, Donetsk Region, Ukraine, in this screengrab from video released December 1, 2025. Russian Defense Ministry/Handout via REUTERS
TT

Moscow, Kyiv Set for Geneva Peace Talks amid Russian Attacks

FILE PHOTO: Soldiers hold a Russian flag in Pokrovsk, Donetsk Region, Ukraine, in this screengrab from video released December 1, 2025. Russian Defense Ministry/Handout via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: Soldiers hold a Russian flag in Pokrovsk, Donetsk Region, Ukraine, in this screengrab from video released December 1, 2025. Russian Defense Ministry/Handout via REUTERS

Russian and Ukrainian delegations are set for another round of talks on Tuesday in Geneva as part of the latest fraught push by the United States to end the four-year war.

US President Donald Trump is seeking to position himself as peacemaker of the conflict unleashed when Russia invaded Ukraine in February 2022, but two previous rounds of talks mediated by the White House have yielded no breakthroughs, said AFP.

"Ukraine better come to the table, fast," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One while en route to Washington.

Ukraine says Russia is unwilling to compromise on its sweeping territorial and political demands, and wants to keep fighting.

"Even on the eve of the trilateral meetings in Geneva, the Russian army has no orders other than to continue striking Ukraine. This speaks volumes about how Russia regards the partners' diplomatic efforts," Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky posted on social media Monday.

"Only with sufficient pressure on Russia and clear security guarantees for Ukraine can this war realistically be brought to an end," he added.

The talks, which the Kremlin said will be held behind closed doors and with no media present, comes after two earlier rounds held this year in Abu Dhabi.

- Sticking points -

The war has spiraled into Europe's deadliest conflict since World War II, with hundreds of thousands killed, millions forced to flee their homes in Ukraine and much of the eastern and southern part of the country scarred by war.

Russia occupies around one-fifth of Ukraine -- including the Crimean peninsula it seized in 2014 -- and areas that Moscow-backed separatists had taken prior to the 2022 invasion.

It wants Ukrainian troops to withdraw from swathes of heavily fortified and strategic territory as part of any peace deal.

Kyiv has rejected this deeply unpopular demand, which would be politically and militarily fraught, and has instead demanded robust security guarantees from the west before agreeing to any proposals with Russia.

Ukraine has recently made significant battlefield gains, recapturing 201 square kilometers (78 square miles) last week, according to an AFP analysis of data from the Institute for the Study of War (ISW).

The counterattacks likely leveraged Russian forces' lack of access to Starlink, which has disrupted communications, the ISW said.

The territorial gain is concentrated mainly around 80 kilometers east of the city of Zaporizhzhia, an area where Russian troops have otherwise made significant progress since last summer.

The centrally located region hosts Europe's largest nuclear power plant, which Russia currently controls -- another sticking point in negotiations.

For the talks in Geneva, the Kremlin has reinstated nationalist hawk and former culture minister Vladimir Medinsky as its lead negotiator.

"This time, we plan to discuss a broader set of issues, focusing on key ones related to the territories and other demands," a spokesperson for Vladimir Putin told reporters, including AFP, explaining the personnel change.

Kyiv's team will be led by former defense minister Rustem Umerov, while the White House is expected to dispatch Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and businessman and Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner.


US and Iran to Hold a Second Round of Nuclear Talks in Geneva

US and Iranian flags are seen in this illustration taken, September 8, 2022. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration
US and Iranian flags are seen in this illustration taken, September 8, 2022. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration
TT

US and Iran to Hold a Second Round of Nuclear Talks in Geneva

US and Iranian flags are seen in this illustration taken, September 8, 2022. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration
US and Iranian flags are seen in this illustration taken, September 8, 2022. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

The US and Iran are expected to hold their second round of talks about Iran’s nuclear program Tuesday in Geneva as the United States ramps up its military presence in the Middle East and Iran holds large-scale maritime exercises.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to use force to compel Iran to agree to constrain its nuclear program. Iran has said it would respond with an attack of its own. Trump has also threatened Iran over its deadly crackdown on recent nationwide protests, The Associated Press said.

The first round of talks Feb. 6 were held in Oman, a sultanate on the eastern edge of the Arabian Peninsula, and were indirect, with SUVs flying the American flag entering the palace venue only after it appeared the Iranian officials had left. The arrangements for Tuesday's round of negotiations were not clear.

Trump’s envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner were traveling for the new round of talks. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, visiting Budapest, Hungary, said Monday that the US hopes to achieve a deal with Iran, despite the difficulties. “I’m not going to prejudge these talks,” Rubio said. “The president always prefers peaceful outcomes and negotiated outcomes to things.”

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who is leading the talks for Iran, met with the head of the UN nuclear watchdog agency Monday in Geneva.

“I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal,” Araghchi wrote on X. “What is not on the table: submission before threats.”

Last week, a top Iranian security official traveled to Oman and met with Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi, the chief intermediary in the talks, in a meeting likely focused on updates from the first round and next steps.

“Regional peace and security is our priority, and we urge restraint and wise compromise,” al-Busaidi wrote on X after his meeting with Ali Larijani, a former Iranian parliament speaker who now serves as the secretary to the country’s Supreme National Security Council.

Iran has in the past communicated its positions in writing when dealing with the Americans. Famously, Japan’s then-Prime Minister Shinzo Abe tried to hand Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei a letter from Trump in 2019 that he refused to take.

Iran holds naval drills against the US military buildup

Iran announced that its paramilitary Revolutionary Guard started a drill early Monday morning in the Strait of Hormuz, the Arabian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, waterways that are crucial international trade routes through which 20% of the world’s oil passes.

Separately, EOS Risk Group said sailors passing through the region received a radio warning that the northern lane of the Strait of Hormuz, in Iranian territorial waters, likely would see a live-fire drill Tuesday. Iranian state TV did not mention the live-fire drill.

It was Iran's second warning in recent weeks about a live-fire drill.

Last week, Trump said the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, was being sent from the Caribbean Sea to the Mideast to join other warships and military assets the US has built up in the region.

The Ford, whose new deployment was first reported by The New York Times, will join the USS Abraham Lincoln and its accompanying guided-missile destroyers, which have been in the region for over two weeks. US forces already have shot down an Iranian drone that approached the Lincoln on the same day last week that Iran tried to stop a US-flagged ship in the Strait of Hormuz.

Gulf Arab nations have warned any attack could spiral into another regional conflict in a Mideast still reeling from the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip.

Iran says any deal must include easing of punishing sanctions

The Trump administration is seeking a deal to limit Iran’s nuclear program and ensure it does not develop nuclear weapons. Iran says it is not pursuing weapons and has so far resisted demands that it halt uranium enrichment or hand over its supply of uranium.

Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi signaled that Tehran could be open to compromise on the nuclear issue, but is looking for an easing of international sanctions led by the United States.

“The ball is in America’s court. They have to prove they want to have a deal with us,” Takht-Ravanchi told the BBC on Sunday. “If we see a sincerity on their part, I am sure that we will be on a road to have an agreement.”

“We are ready to discuss this and other issues related to our program provided that they are also ready to talk about the sanctions,” he added.

The US and Iran were in the middle of months of meetings when Israel’s launch of a 12-day war against Iran back in June instantly halted the talks. The US bombed Iranian nuclear sites during that war, likely destroying many of the centrifuges that spun uranium to near weapons-grade purity. Israel’s attacks decimated Iran’s air defenses and targeted its ballistic missile arsenal as well.

Iran has insisted its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes. Before the June war, Iran had been enriching uranium up to 60% purity, a short, technical step away from weapons-grade levels.