UN to Take Over Distribution of Qatari Grant in Gaza

Commissioner-General of UNRWA, Philippe Lazzarini, plays soccer with students at the summer schools in Gaza (AP)
Commissioner-General of UNRWA, Philippe Lazzarini, plays soccer with students at the summer schools in Gaza (AP)
TT

UN to Take Over Distribution of Qatari Grant in Gaza

Commissioner-General of UNRWA, Philippe Lazzarini, plays soccer with students at the summer schools in Gaza (AP)
Commissioner-General of UNRWA, Philippe Lazzarini, plays soccer with students at the summer schools in Gaza (AP)

The United Nations agreed to a joint proposal by several mediators, to take over the distribution of the Qatari grant to families in the Gaza Strip.

Multiple sources said that the UN envoy for the Middle East Peace Process, Tor Wennesland, informed Israel and Qatar of the agreement to take charge of the grant and disburse it.

Israeli and Palestinian media confirmed that the money would be distributed through banks affiliated with the Palestinian Monetary Authority, such as the Bank of Palestine, and not through the post or Hamas-affiliated banks, as the case during the last war.

This came after the Israeli government decided to ban the transfer of Qatari funds or other funds to the Gaza Strip, as it was during the government of former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said: “Israel is interested in calm and has no interest in harming Gaza residents, but violence… will be met with a strong response.”

Speaking at the Israeli cabinet, Bennett also indicated: “We are also working on a solution to allow humanitarian assistance to Gaza residents, without suitcases of dollars,” referring to the money that Qatar has provided the Strip in recent years.

The Israeli government wants to achieve specific goals, without Hamas benefiting from them. It has prevented the transfer of Qatari funds to Gaza since the 11-day war last month and has allowed only part of the money to be used to supply fuel to the Strip.

Israel offered to transfer the money through the Palestinian Authority, but Hamas and Qatar strongly rejected this, so the United Nations was chosen.

Meanwhile, the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions (PGFTU) demanded, on Sunday, lifting the Israeli siege imposed on the Gaza Strip since 2007, the opening of the crossings, and the immediate and rapid reconstruction of destroyed infrastructure.

This came during a sit-in organized by the Federation of Trade Unions in front of the Beit Hanoun - Erez checkpoint in the Gaza Strip.

Union official Khaled Hussein said that the Israeli blockade and the closure of the crossings are pressuring Gazan families. The number of poor families has increased, and medicine and food supplies have run out.

Hussein stated that tens of thousands of families in the Gaza Strip are without any source of income, noting that hundreds of homes that were destroyed in the 2014 war have not been built yet, and their families are still homeless, according to DPA.

Israel restricted the operations at the Gaza crossings and prevented goods and basic commodities from entering for two months, according to Hussein, adding that this caused a major humanitarian disaster.

He also indicated that the poverty rate among workers rose to more than 80 percent, and the unemployment rate exceeded 60 percent, while the number of unemployed people reached 270 thousand workers as a result of the blockade.

He warned that Israel's measures constitute a “slow death” against two million people in the Gaza Strip, calling for the speedy reconstruction of destroyed buildings during the last round of tension to restore the economic activity and alleviate the severity of the situation.

The official called for the establishment of a support fund for Palestinian workers in the face of unemployment, blockade, and poverty.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.