Hamdok Urges Parties to Conflict in Ethiopia to Hold Dialogue, End Fight

Ethiopian army prisoners held by the Tigrayan forces during a parade in Mekelle on Friday (Reuters)
Ethiopian army prisoners held by the Tigrayan forces during a parade in Mekelle on Friday (Reuters)
TT

Hamdok Urges Parties to Conflict in Ethiopia to Hold Dialogue, End Fight

Ethiopian army prisoners held by the Tigrayan forces during a parade in Mekelle on Friday (Reuters)
Ethiopian army prisoners held by the Tigrayan forces during a parade in Mekelle on Friday (Reuters)

Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok called on the conflicting parties in Ethiopia to end the fighting and engage in a negotiation process “for a comprehensive national dialogue.”

Hamdok stressed that his country will provide all support to Ethiopia to overcome its current crisis.

The Sudanese government held a high-level meeting, which included the Chairman of the Sovereign Council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and Foreign Minister Mariam al-Mahdi to discuss the latest developments in Ethiopia.

The Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), the regional authority drove out last year by Ethiopian forces and troops from neighboring Eritrea, returned to the region's capital Mekelle.

Hamdok said on his Facebook page that he agrees with the United Nations Security Council meeting in early July on Ethiopia, especially positions of the African countries, on the consolidation of a comprehensive and permanent ceasefire and ensuring the delivery of humanitarian aid to the Tigray region.

After the high-level meeting, Sudan expressed its deep concern over these developments, warning it might impact regional stability. It stressed the importance of facilitating humanitarian aid access to those affected by the conflict and declared that it would work closely with neighboring countries and the international community to achieve stability.

The government said it will spare no effort to work with all Ethiopian parties to reach a consensus that enhances the country’s unity in accordance with the vision decided by the Ethiopians.

A senior Sudanese government official, who spoke to Asharq Al-Awsat on the condition of anonymity, expressed his fear that Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed would deploy his troops at the border “to turn his defeat in the Tigray region into a victory.”

The media advisor to the Prime Minister, Faisal Mohamed Salih, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Sudanese government supports the efforts of the African Union (AU) or Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to resolve the conflict between the Ethiopian parties.

“The current situation in Ethiopia is very worrying and dangerous, and this may not be the end of the conflict,” said the spokesman, referring to Tigray’s possible declaration of independence.

He explained that Sudan has determined its position on developments in Ethiopia by calling on all parties to resort to negotiations to resolve the dispute.

Ethiopia had previously rejected the Sudanese Prime Minister's efforts to mediate in the Tigray conflict and had also shut the door on any mediation by the AU or IGAD.

Political science professor Bashir al-Sharif said the Sudanese Prime Minister wants to establish strategic relations with Ethiopia, regardless of differences over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).

Sharif added that the regional and international situation realizes the necessity of ending the intra-Ethiopian conflict through the negotiating table, warning that prolonging it may spark a war that will affect Eritrea and spread to neighboring countries and the entire Horn of Africa.

Sudan's good relations with the Ethiopian parties, and its official position on the necessity of a peaceful solution, are pushing towards negotiated solutions, according to the expert.

Following the outbreak of war between the Ethiopian government and the Tigray region in November 2020, the Sudanese army deployed its forces on the border to protect its territory and prevent military operations.

The Sudanese army regained control of more than 90 percent of its territory, including the al-Fashqa region, which was occupied by Ethiopia, prompting Addis Ababa to accuse Khartoum of exploiting the domestic situation for its benefit.

Sudan confirms its ownership of these lands in accordance with an agreement signed between the two countries in 1902 and refuses to retreat its forces from the areas it regained control over after many years.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.