China Blasts Dam to Divert Floods that Killed at Least 12

In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, vehicles pass through floodwaters in Zhengzhou in central China's Henan Province on Tuesday, July 20, 2021. (Zhu Xiang/Xinhua via AP)
In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, vehicles pass through floodwaters in Zhengzhou in central China's Henan Province on Tuesday, July 20, 2021. (Zhu Xiang/Xinhua via AP)
TT
20

China Blasts Dam to Divert Floods that Killed at Least 12

In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, vehicles pass through floodwaters in Zhengzhou in central China's Henan Province on Tuesday, July 20, 2021. (Zhu Xiang/Xinhua via AP)
In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, vehicles pass through floodwaters in Zhengzhou in central China's Henan Province on Tuesday, July 20, 2021. (Zhu Xiang/Xinhua via AP)

China’s military has blasted a dam to release floodwaters threatening one of its most heavily populated provinces.

The operation late Tuesday night in the city of Luoyang came after at least 12 people died in severe flooding in the Henan provincial capital of Zhengzhou, where residents were trapped in the subway system and left stranded at schools, apartments and offices, The Associated Press reported.

Transport and working life have been disrupted throughout the province, with torrents of rain turning streets into rapidly flowing rivers, washing away cars and rising into people’s homes.
More than 100,000 people have been evacuated to safety. Henan province is home to many cultural sites and a major base for industry and agriculture.

State media on Wednesday showed waters at waist height, with rain still coming down.

To the north of Zhengzhou, the famed Shaolin Temple, known for its Buddhist monks’ mastery of martial arts, was also badly hit.

China experiences regular flooding during the summer, but the growth of cities and conversion of farmland into subdivisions has raised the impact of such events.



Russia Says it Downs 11 Ukrainian Drones Overnight

Servicemen of the 15th Separate Artillery Reconnaissance Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine prepare a Shark drone for launching in Kharkiv region, Ukraine, October 30, 2023. Alina Smutko, Reuters
Servicemen of the 15th Separate Artillery Reconnaissance Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine prepare a Shark drone for launching in Kharkiv region, Ukraine, October 30, 2023. Alina Smutko, Reuters
TT
20

Russia Says it Downs 11 Ukrainian Drones Overnight

Servicemen of the 15th Separate Artillery Reconnaissance Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine prepare a Shark drone for launching in Kharkiv region, Ukraine, October 30, 2023. Alina Smutko, Reuters
Servicemen of the 15th Separate Artillery Reconnaissance Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine prepare a Shark drone for launching in Kharkiv region, Ukraine, October 30, 2023. Alina Smutko, Reuters

Russian air defence units intercepted and destroyed 11 Ukrainian drones overnight, the Russian defense ministry said on Sunday.
Drones were destroyed over the Kursk and Belgorod border regions and over the southern Russian Rostov region, the ministry said in a post on Telegram.
Yuri Slyusar, acting governor of the Rostov region, said earlier in a Telegram post that there were no injuries reported in the attack, but there were reports of drone debris falling on administrative buildings in one of the region's districts, Reuters reported.