A New Test For Kadhimi’s Pragmatism In Washington

Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi (AP)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi (AP)
TT

A New Test For Kadhimi’s Pragmatism In Washington

Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi (AP)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi (AP)

Acting US Assistant Secretary of State Joey Hood spoke during a virtual forum last week about the complexities of consolidating stability in Iraq with the presence of Iranian-backed militias, saying "they have to leave us, and the Iraqis, alone.”

Hood further stressed that his country “is not at war” with Iraq.

The concept that Hood promotes about the partnership with Iraq is to some extent used by the Iranians to describe their relationship with the country, which they say is based on common interests primarily focused on “opposing the American project in the region.”

This raises more pressure on the Baghdad government and reduces its chances of adopting an independent strategy on the regional and international situation.

With the publication of this news analysis, Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi would be on his way to Washington to meet with US President Joe Biden and to complete the fourth round of the strategic dialogue, which includes a varied schedule, including discussions over the controversial withdrawal of combat forces from the country.

When the two presidents meet, they will have to talk frankly about the two countries’ intersecting paths regarding the conflict with Iran and the changes that have occurred in Iraq since Kadhimi met with former President Donald Trump in August 2020.

The Iraqi premier heads to the White House leaving behind a heated scene with armed factions rapidly gaining field and political influence, without any indications of a clear government policy to deter outlaw groups and impose the authority of government institutions on vital state facilities.

Last week, Asharq Al-Awsat quoted US officials close to the Biden administration as expressing disappointment with the performance of the Iraqi prime minister, as he “must do more to deter the armed factions.”
Decision-makers in Baghdad, however, say that Kadhimi was a very realistic person, and his containment policy was more effective than opening a broad front of violence.

The fact is that the Iraqi premier and his government team are based in a small area of influence within the country’s political arena. A senior Iraqi officer told Asharq Al-Awsat that confrontation between the two parties was not possible, as “the influence of the factions literally starts from the Green Zone.”

It seems that the Americans are fully aware of the difficult equation in Iraq. General Kenneth McKenzie, the commander of the US Central Command, was closely monitoring the field developments and provided a flood of data and information about Iraq’s struggle with the armed factions.

But Baghdad continues to bet on the “principle of dialogue” to achieve the minimum level of calm. In this regard, Iraqi Foreign Minister Fouad Hussein called on Iran to intervene to stop the attacks on diplomatic missions.

“This doesn’t seem enough,” a Western diplomat told Asharq Al-Awsat, noting that Kadhimi must “devise other solutions and be more courageous.”

Nonetheless, the position of the White House tends to continue to support Kadhimi, for objective considerations, the most important of which is that the Iraqi premier is “an independent person who is not loyal to Iran,” and that the opportunity to achieve a more stable equation is still available, according to US diplomatic sources.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.