Palestinian Authority Demands Activating Role of Int’l Quartet

Israeli PM Bennett (C) and FM Lapid (L) during a cabinet meeting on Sunday. (AP)
Israeli PM Bennett (C) and FM Lapid (L) during a cabinet meeting on Sunday. (AP)
TT

Palestinian Authority Demands Activating Role of Int’l Quartet

Israeli PM Bennett (C) and FM Lapid (L) during a cabinet meeting on Sunday. (AP)
Israeli PM Bennett (C) and FM Lapid (L) during a cabinet meeting on Sunday. (AP)

The Palestinian Authority has called for activating the role of the International Quartet, which has been almost frozen for several years.

“We demand that the role of the International Quartet be activated, and we support the Russian invitation for a ministerial-level meeting for this committee,” announced member of the Fatah Central Committee and Minister of Civil Affairs Hussein al-Sheikh.

Earlier this month, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov called for activating the work of the Quartet on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Moscow is working to organize a meeting of the Quartet, which includes the US, Russia, European Union and UN, at the level of foreign ministers.

A Palestinian source told Asharq Al-Awsat that Washington does not want to launch any initiatives of any kind at this time and prefers to wait, fearing that pressure will cause the collapse of the government in Israel.

The source emphasized that attempts to revive the Quartet have been in place for a long time, without success.

He added that the PA officially requested the revival of the Quartet and confirmed its willingness to engage in negotiations under its sponsorship but has not received an answer.

The Quartet was formed in 2002 to sponsor the Palestinian-Israeli negotiations, but it ended because the parties believed its role was ineffective.

The Trump administration refused to activate its role unless the Palestinians agreed to a peace solution according to his so-called “deal of the century” proposal.

The committee held its first meeting on March 24 after Joe Biden assumed the presidency. It called for resuming meaningful negotiations based on a two-state solution in line with international resolutions.

The PA is counting on a more active US role amid attempts to strengthen the authority politically and economically.

The ruling coalition in Israel, meanwhile, appears so far unqualified to take major steps. At the moment, the government is focused on approving a new budget in November before making political proposals.

Israeli officials on Sunday predicted that PM Naftali Bennett’s government may collapse after the approval of the budget due to American demands related to the Palestinians.

Israel Hayom newspaper reported that the Biden administration had postponed all requests regarding Israel’s contribution to the Palestinian issue until after the government approves the budget.

A right-wing source told the newspaper some of the demands the White House is expected to make could lead to the government’s resignation. These demands include plans to reopen an embassy to the Palestinians in Jerusalem, in what would offer de facto recognition of Jerusalem as the future capital of a Palestinian state.

This development could spark sharp criticism from right-wing members of the coalition, leading to the government’s demise. The official said that as soon as the budget is approved, disagreements would rise, making it harder to overcome internal tensions.

Members of the coalition, such as Foreign Minister Yair Lapid and Defense Minister Benny Gantz, want to launch negotiations with the Palestinians. Bennett and Gideon Saar, however, do not believe in negotiations or the Palestinians’ right to a state.

Israeli analyst Yoni Ben Menachem said Bennett is not interested in the return of negotiations with the PA.

The government could also face external opposition, as the coalition is expected to be met with fierce criticism from the parliament, which is likely to witness sharp divisions over proposed laws.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.