Israel Drops Warning Leaflets over Syria’s Quneitra

Israeli soldiers during a military exercise in the occupied Golan Heights on Wednesday. (AFP)
Israeli soldiers during a military exercise in the occupied Golan Heights on Wednesday. (AFP)
TT
20

Israel Drops Warning Leaflets over Syria’s Quneitra

Israeli soldiers during a military exercise in the occupied Golan Heights on Wednesday. (AFP)
Israeli soldiers during a military exercise in the occupied Golan Heights on Wednesday. (AFP)

The Israeli army dropped warning leaflets over Syria’s Quneitra region overnight Tuesday, reported Israel’s Kan radio.

The leaflets were dropped in wake of an attack blamed on Israel that night, said Syrian opposition figures on Wednesday.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that fires had broken out in a military position belonging to regime forces and Iranian militias west of the town of Khodr in Quneitra’s northern countryside after being struck by three rockets fired by Israel on Tuesday night.

The leaflets delivered warnings to the Syrian military against cooperating with the Lebanese Hezbollah party, specifically one its senior members, whom it identified as Hajj Jawad Hashem, who is active in Syria and had been named in previous leaflets.

“Carrying out dirty work for Hezbollah has become a priority for the Syrian army,” read the leaflet.

It added: “Hajj Hashem and his men roam positions in southern Syrian, including positions in Qars al-Naql and the 90th Brigade that were targeted the night before yesterday.”

“The members of the Syrian army have been turned into Hezbollah’s dummies without them even realizing it,” it read.

It warned that the members of the Syrian military are being closely watched and that they should be careful of their actions.

“Abetting Hajj Hashem will lead to your destruction,” it warned.

Syrian television on Tuesday reported that Israel had struck the border region of Quneitra near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Syrian opposition sources said the attack targeted military positions, including one affiliated with Hezbollah. The other belongs to the military’s 90th Brigade.



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.