Kadhimi’s Government Aborts Attempt to Forge October’s Elections

 Iraq’s Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi is welcomed to the US Capitol by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) ahead of a bipartisan leadership meeting with the prime minister, in Washington, US, July 28, 2021. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz
Iraq’s Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi is welcomed to the US Capitol by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) ahead of a bipartisan leadership meeting with the prime minister, in Washington, US, July 28, 2021. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz
TT

Kadhimi’s Government Aborts Attempt to Forge October’s Elections

 Iraq’s Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi is welcomed to the US Capitol by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) ahead of a bipartisan leadership meeting with the prime minister, in Washington, US, July 28, 2021. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz
Iraq’s Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi is welcomed to the US Capitol by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) ahead of a bipartisan leadership meeting with the prime minister, in Washington, US, July 28, 2021. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz

Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi government announced its success in thwarting a possible fraud in the early parliamentary elections scheduled for October.

A statement issued on Wednesday by the Prime Minister’s Office said that the security services succeeded, under the direct supervision of the Iraqi judiciary, in implementing a proactive operation that thwarted an attempt to falsify the elections by putting pressure on a number of Electoral Commission employees, with the aim of shuffling the results and stirring chaos.

The statement said: “After careful technical investigations by the concerned bodies, and under the direct supervision of the judiciary, the security services were able to arrest a number of suspects in a group that tried to commit electoral fraud, by using their relations with employees of the Electoral Commission.”

“This came with the aim of provoking information and creating political chaos in Iraq, via a network of electronic communication sites, including a site called ‘Lady of Green’, where those in charge tried by various means to suggest that it was linked to the office of the Prime Minister, its employees, or the Prime Minister’s advisors,” according to the statement.

The Prime Minister’s Office was referring to a new website that published news and scandals some political blocs and figures, including an attack on the visit of the leader of the State of Law Coalition, Nuri al-Maliki to the Kurdistan region last week.

The statement continued: “Some media outlets - particularly those affiliated with some political powers - echoed these false slanders in a manner that lacks professionalism and fairness. This is considered a blatant violation of law and professional principles. Justice found its way to prove the invalidity of these lies…”

Kadhimi’s office stressed that the government would continue to “implement its commitments to secure fair elections, provide all its requirements and maintain its neutrality in terms of competition in the electoral process.”



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.