Dbeibeh Discusses Libyan Political Crisis with Egyptian Officials

The Egyptian Minister of Trade and Industry during her meeting in Cairo with the Libyan Ministers of Transportation and Economy, Mohamed al-Shoubi and Mohamed al-Hawij (Libyan Ministry of Economy and Trade)
The Egyptian Minister of Trade and Industry during her meeting in Cairo with the Libyan Ministers of Transportation and Economy, Mohamed al-Shoubi and Mohamed al-Hawij (Libyan Ministry of Economy and Trade)
TT

Dbeibeh Discusses Libyan Political Crisis with Egyptian Officials

The Egyptian Minister of Trade and Industry during her meeting in Cairo with the Libyan Ministers of Transportation and Economy, Mohamed al-Shoubi and Mohamed al-Hawij (Libyan Ministry of Economy and Trade)
The Egyptian Minister of Trade and Industry during her meeting in Cairo with the Libyan Ministers of Transportation and Economy, Mohamed al-Shoubi and Mohamed al-Hawij (Libyan Ministry of Economy and Trade)

Libya's Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibeh will visit Cairo to discuss the political crisis with Egyptian officials and sign several agreements in the economic and trade fields.

A Libyan ministerial delegation arrived in Cairo Tuesday, consisting of Economy Minister Mohammad al-Hawaij, Transport Minister Mohammad al-Shhoubi, Housing and Construction Minister Abu Bakr al-Ghawi, and a number of officials.

Hawaij chaired the ministerial delegation of the unity government, ahead of the meetings of the Libyan-Egyptian Joint Higher Committee scheduled for Thursday.

The committee's meeting will be chaired by the Libyan PM and his Egyptian counterpart Mostafa Madbouly, which comes within the framework of boosting bilateral relations, increasing trade exchange, and concluding agreements in several areas of common interest.

The Libyan and Egyptian governments had previously signed 11 agreements to enhance cooperation in several areas during Madbouly's visit to Tripoli in April at the head of a large ministerial delegation.

The two sides signed several memoranda of understanding (MoU) on cooperation in road and infrastructure projects, transportation, and health, and in addition to investments in the electricity sector.

In September 2020, Egypt's Minister of International Cooperation Rania al-Mashat received Hawaij to discuss the ongoing preparations for the meetings of the eleventh session of the Egyptian-Libyan Supreme Committee.

The Libyan-Egyptian Joint Ministerial Committee held its second Cairo meeting on September 10. The panel discussed issues of the Egyptian workers, and the date they will be allowed to return in addition to their integration into the Libyan labor market.

The Libyan Ministry of Labor and Rehabilitation said in a previous statement that the joint meeting, which was held at the office of the Egyptian Ministry of Manpower in Cairo, discussed the issue of Egyptian workers in Libya and the mechanism for their entry under the supervision of the Libyan Ministry of Labor provided that it is done during the current year.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.