Qatar Refuses Responsibility for Kabul Airport

Afghan passengers walk in front of Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul (File Photo: Reuters)
Afghan passengers walk in front of Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul (File Photo: Reuters)
TT

Qatar Refuses Responsibility for Kabul Airport

Afghan passengers walk in front of Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul (File Photo: Reuters)
Afghan passengers walk in front of Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul (File Photo: Reuters)

Qatar would not take responsibility for Afghanistan's Kabul Hamid Karzai International Airport without "clear" technical and security agreements between all parties involved, including the Taliban.

Doha has become a key broker in Afghanistan following last month's withdrawal of US forces. It plays the role of mediator between the Taliban and the international community.

Many countries, including the US, have moved their embassies from Kabul to Doha.

"We need to make sure that everything is addressed very clearly otherwise... we are not able to take any responsibility of the airport (if) all these things are not addressed," Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammad bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said at a press briefing with his Spanish counterpart.

Airport halls and technical infrastructure were severely damaged after the Taliban entered Kabul on August 15, when thousands of people stormed the airport hoping to escape.

"Right now, the status is still (under) negotiation because we need to have an agreement that's clear for everyone for all the parties and who is going to take care of the technical (side), who's going to take care of the security aspects," added the Minister.

He indicated that there is a possibility for "collaboration with other countries if needed, but until now, the discussion is only among us and Turkey and the Taliban."

A Pakistan International Airlines plane landed at Kabul on Monday, marking the first international commercial flight since the Taliban militants took control of the capital.

An Afghan airline also resumed its domestic services on September 3.

The resumption of commercial flights will be a crucial test for the Taliban, which has repeatedly promised to allow Afghans with the proper documents to leave the country freely.

Kabul Airport was severely damaged during the evacuation of more than 120,000 people, and since then, the Taliban has been seeking to resume operations with technical assistance from several countries.

Qatar Airways operated several flights out of Kabul last week, carrying foreigners and Afghans who could not leave before the US withdrawal.

Tens of thousands of Afghans fear reprisals for helping foreign powers over 20 years. However, the Taliban insist it has granted a general amnesty to everyone, including the security forces that fought it.

The movement promised a better regime than its previous rule between 1996 and 2001. However, it moved quickly to crush dissent, with its members dispersing recent protests demanding women's right to education and work.

A prominent former Afghan diplomat described the human rights situation in his country as deteriorating, warning that women's rights began to disappear entirely under the rule of the Taliban.

Speaking at a meeting of the Human Rights Council in Geneva, Ambassador Nasir Ahmed Andisha said that the Taliban are carrying out "widespread atrocities."

He called for the Council to form a fact-finding committee to monitor Taliban actions in the country.

Meanwhile, a former government official and local television indicated that thousands of Afghans protested in Kandahar after the Taliban demanded the evacuation of a housing complex for families of the army and security forces.

Protesters gathered in front of the governor's house in Kandahar after 3,500 families were given three days to leave a government-owned residential area.

A Taliban spokesman was not available for comment on the eviction orders.



Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.


Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
TT

Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)

Princes and officials appointed by royal orders to their new positions took the oath of office before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in Riyadh on Tuesday.

They included Deputy Governor of Al-Baha Region Prince Fahd bin Saad bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz bin Turki; Member of the Shura Council Prince Dr. Saad bin Saud bin Mohammed bin Abdulaziz; Deputy Governor of Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud; Deputy Governor of Northern Borders Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz; and Minister of Investment Fahd Al-Saif.

They swore to be faithful to their religion, then their King and country, not to reveal any of the state’s secrets, to preserve its interests and regulations, and to perform their duties with honesty, trustworthiness, and sincerity.


Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)

The Saudi government condemned on Tuesday Israel’s decision to West Bank lands as "state lands."

Reiterating its absolute rejection of these illegal measures, the Cabinet warned that they undermine peace efforts and violate the Palestinian people's inherent right to establish an independent, sovereign state within the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chaired the Cabinet session that was held in Riyadh.

The Cabinet congratulated citizens and Muslims on the advent of the holy month of Ramadan, expressing gratitude for the Kingdom's honor in caring for the two holy mosques and their visitors.

The Cabinet highlighted the success of the Hajj and Umrah seasons, noting that the Kingdom welcomed 19.5 million international pilgrims and Umrah performers in 2025, setting new records that reflect rapid progress toward the goals of Vision 2030 and the Pilgrim Experience Program.

The Cabinet described the Kingdom's Founding Day celebration on February 22 as an expression of pride in the Saudi state's nearly three-century history, underscoring the foundations of justice, unity, and development established by leaders and citizens throughout history to ensure the nation remains a global leader in all fields.

The Cabinet was briefed on recent talks between Saudi Arabia and various nations, which focused on strengthening bilateral and multilateral cooperation and boosting coordination to foster regional and international security, stability, and prosperity.

The session further reviewed the Kingdom's economic, cultural, and social activities, stressing the state's commitment to social solidarity and giving. This includes continued support for the sixth National Campaign for Charitable Work, set to begin on Friday.

The Cabinet commended the success of the third World Defense Show held in Riyadh under the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques' patronage, during which strategic partnerships, agreements, and memoranda of understanding were signed to localize military technologies and strengthen local supply chains in alignment with Vision 2030 objectives.