Amid Outcry, Iran Confirms Recent Prison Deaths

Image from release footage of accessed surveillance cameras at Tehran's Evin prison showing mistreatment of inmates. (AP)
Image from release footage of accessed surveillance cameras at Tehran's Evin prison showing mistreatment of inmates. (AP)
TT

Amid Outcry, Iran Confirms Recent Prison Deaths

Image from release footage of accessed surveillance cameras at Tehran's Evin prison showing mistreatment of inmates. (AP)
Image from release footage of accessed surveillance cameras at Tehran's Evin prison showing mistreatment of inmates. (AP)

Iran's Prison Organization confirmed the death of two detainees in jail south of Tehran and opened an investigation into the circumstances.

The Prison Organization formed a committee to investigate the death of Amir Hossein Hatami, 22, in Greater Tehran Prison, announced the authorities in a brief statement, AFP reported.

The Kurdistan Human Rights website, which monitors violations against Kurds in Iran, reported that the detainee made a phone call before his death and pleaded for help from his father.

On Sunday, Iran's Ghanoun newspaper reported that Hatami was arrested after getting into a fight without providing additional details.

Hatami's father said that his son was "beaten by prison officers," and his family learned in the call that he was waiting to be taken to the hospital, according to people close to the victim.

They indicated that he had difficulty speaking before his family received a call from the prison the following day, informing them of his death.

Videos circulated on social media of a protest in front of the Great Tehran Penitentiary, also known as Fashafouyeh prison.

Previously, head of the Prison Organization, Mohammad-Mehdi Hadj-Mohammadi had announced the death of Shahin Naseri in custody, asserting that a committee would investigate the incident.

Naseri testified in the 2020 murder trial of wrestler Navid Afkari, who was executed last year.

The two incidents sparked outcry on social media, prompting authorities to issue a statement.

Hadj-Mohammadi said in a statement published by the judicial authority's website, Mizan Online, that he is waiting for the final report of the investigation.

Last August, Hadj-Mohammadi blamed prison officials for "unacceptable behavior" after foreign media outlets published footage from the notorious Evin Prison, north of the capital, showing detainees being beaten and mistreated.

Amnesty International leaked surveillance footage from Evin, showed "appalling abuse of prisoners," which is evidence of the torture and other cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment prisoners receive.

Iran criticizes reports issued periodically by the United Nations and human rights organizations accusing Tehran of mismanaging prisons and mistreating detainees.

Amnesty denounced the impunity granted to prison officials in Iran. At least 70 deaths in custody in ten years have been confirmed, with information indicating that many of these deaths are linked to torture.

On September 8, Yaser Mangouri, 31, was reported dead in Urmieh, in the West Azerbaijan province, by the Ministry of Intelligence.

Amnesty investigated the cases of 72 men and women who were recorded as having died in custody since January 2010 in Iran. The deaths occurred at 42 prisons and detention centers in 16 provinces across the country.

In 46 cases, informed sources, including the deceased's relatives and/or fellow inmates, reported that the death resulted from physical torture or other ill-treatment at the hands of intelligence and security agents or prison officials.

In July, Amnesty International and other NGOs urged the United Nations Human Rights Council members to establish an investigative mechanism to collect and analyze evidence of the most serious crimes committed in Iran.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.