Sisi Says Egypt Aims to Rationalize Water Consumption

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi during the inauguration of Bahr El Baqar wastewater treatment plant (Egyptian Presidency)
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi during the inauguration of Bahr El Baqar wastewater treatment plant (Egyptian Presidency)
TT

Sisi Says Egypt Aims to Rationalize Water Consumption

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi during the inauguration of Bahr El Baqar wastewater treatment plant (Egyptian Presidency)
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi during the inauguration of Bahr El Baqar wastewater treatment plant (Egyptian Presidency)

President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi has said that the government aims to rationalize water consumption in Egypt despite stressing that the country’s water share from the Nile River will not decline.

Egypt is in conflict with Addis Ababa over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) it is building on the main tributary of the Nile.

Cairo fears that the dam will damage its limited share of the Nile water of about 55.5 billion cubic meters. The country needs more than 90 percent for its drinking water supply, irrigation for agriculture, and industry.

Sisi inaugurated Bahr el-Baqar wastewater treatment plant, the largest of its kind worldwide with a daily production capacity of 5.6 million cubic meters.

The triple-treated water will be transferred to North Sinai to contribute to the reclamation of agricultural land within the framework of the national project for the development of Sinai and to support making the best use of the state's water resources.

The President stressed that his country is working to preserve its water resources due to its scarcity.

Sisi said that the reclamation of 500,000 feddans in Sinai had cost LE150-160 billion acquired through loans, which is crucial to maintain existing canals and Nile mainstream.

The President warned that the punishment to individuals, who commit encroachments, would include the withdrawal of any subsidies they get, and that even applies to subsidized bread and staples.

He further added, "encroachments will not just be removed. They will be removed at the expense of violators,” setting a six-month ultimatum.

"We must improve the quality and efficiency of irrigation systems," asserted Sisi, stressing that developing the agricultural sector leads to self-sufficiency and reduces imports.

Farmers can't afford the cost to improve the canals, and the government aims to improve water access to agricultural lands so that production does not decrease and farmers lose, asserted Sisi.

The President warned that wasting water leads to the waste of agricultural land and reducing arable land.

Egypt and Sudan have been negotiating with Ethiopia for ten years to reach an agreement on the Renaissance Dam without any result.

The UN Security Council called on the three countries to resume negotiations under the auspices of the African Union (AU), stressing in a presidential statement the need to reach a binding agreement acceptable to all and within a reasonable timetable.

Egypt, along with Sudan, wants to conclude a binding legal agreement regulating the filling and operation of the dam, despite Ethiopia’s rejection.

On Monday, Egypt's Foreign Minister, Sameh Shoukry, described an Ethiopian negotiator's remarks about reaching an agreement on GERD as "evasive."

"Such Ethiopian statements are a continuation of fallacies, prevarication, and lack of credibility, which does not bode well for the existence of a political will to reach an agreement," Shoukry said.

Earlier on Saturday, a member of the Ethiopian negotiating team on the dam, Ibrahim Idris, said his country "will not accept a settlement that goes against its national interests in any form."

"If Ethiopia signs an agreement with Egypt and Sudan, this will only happen when national interests and the future development of water resources are secured," he added.

Shoukry explained that the meeting with the UN Secretary-General understood Egypt's stance regarding GERD and that the Security Council stressed the importance of reaching a binding solution on the dam.



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".