Egyptian authorities said on Thursday they have thwarted a plot aimed at financing the banned Muslim Brotherhood and reviving its activities in the country.
The plot aimed to funnel funds using imprisoned Brotherhood leader Safwan Thabet’s companies into “terrorist activities,” the interior ministry said in a statement, adding that $8.4 million and ammunition had been found in an apartment in Giza, across the Nile from central Cairo.
According to the statement, the National Security Agency found out that Brotherhood member Yehia Mahran Othman played a prominent role in the plan.
Thabet assigned Othman to use his companies in transferring and concealing the terrorist organization’s funds in an attempt to circumvent the legal measures taken to freeze his assets, Akhbar el-Yom reported, quoting the statement.
Thabet was arrested in December on charges of joining an outlawed group, inciting violence, and financing a terrorist group. His son Seifeldin was detained in February after taking over as chairman.
Egypt banned the Brotherhood in 2014, designating it as a terrorist organization.
It has been accused of involvement in violent acts that took place after the ouster of president Mohammed Morsi – a member of the group – in 2013.
Hundreds of its leaders and supporters, including its supreme guide Mohammed Badie, are on trial on charges largely related to incitement to violence. Several verdicts, including death sentences, have been issued against the suspects.
Commenting on the latest security operation, former Assistant to the Minister of Interior, Farouk al-Mekrahi told Asharq Al-Awsat the ministry is keen to take preemptive measures against the group to avoid any attempts that would harm Egypt’s security.