Premier League: 10 Talking Points From the Weekend’s Action

Xisco Muñoz was relieved of his duties on Sunday. Photograph: Richard Lee/Shutterstock
Xisco Muñoz was relieved of his duties on Sunday. Photograph: Richard Lee/Shutterstock
TT

Premier League: 10 Talking Points From the Weekend’s Action

Xisco Muñoz was relieved of his duties on Sunday. Photograph: Richard Lee/Shutterstock
Xisco Muñoz was relieved of his duties on Sunday. Photograph: Richard Lee/Shutterstock

1) Solskjær and United face defining period

“The short answer is yes,” said Ole Gunnar Solskjær. “We’ve got loads to work on and we need to improve. We know that and I know that but I do believe in this group of players and the coaching staff. I’m very confident that we will get the best out of this squad.” Thus far, despite unconvincing performances, the evidence is that Manchester United’s board share that confidence: they gave him a new three-year contract in July. But, externally at least, questions are being asked of Solskjær. He faces a defining period – against Leicester, Atalanta, Liverpool, Tottenham, Atalanta again and Manchester City – with increasing criticisms of United’s disjointed displays and a seeming reliance on individual inspiration to conjure results. And yet the paradox in his record is that a manager often accused of not being good enough has a history of winning many such games against supposedly superior coaches. Richard Jolly

Match report: Manchester United 1-1 Everton

2) Traoré must wait for his turn at Wolves

Adama Traoré, subject of a summer loan bid from Tottenham, is yet to agree a new deal on a contract that runs until 2023. He started the season in sensational form, but failed to score, as Wolves lost their three games. Hwang Hee-chan has scored three goals, as Wolves have since won three out of four, impressing with his ability to make runs from wide to create clear goalscoring opportunities that he seized with aplomb. “This is football. This is our job, we don’t have easy decisions,” Bruno Lage said of Traoré, who featured only briefly as a sub. “I can choose Adama for another game; it’s not about Adama. It’s about the players and I think they need to understand my way to work, but also to understand the men they have in front of them. I never lie to them, I’m here to help them but they need to continue to work. I choose the best guys for the game.” Peter Lansley

Match report: Wolves 2-1 Newcastle

3) Muñoz sacking was predictable from Watford

International breaks are dangerous times for managers and, sure enough, Watford sacked Xisco Muñoz on Sunday. “I’m sad and disappointed,” acknowledged Muñoz after a defeat more comprehensive than Diego Llorente’s solitary goal suggests. “The whole game went wrong,” said Ben Foster, Watford’s goalkeeper. “We weren’t at the races. We knew what Leeds would be about, that they’d be pressing us and high tempo but we didn’t do a single thing we wanted to do, which was concerning.” Watford possess a point more than Leeds but there are no doubts about Marcelo Bielsa’s job security following his side’s first league win of the season. Even so, they got slightly lucky when an uncharacteristic goalkeeping error saw the ball creep into Illan Meslier’s net only for that effort to be controversially disallowed. “Our “goal” should probably have stood,” said Foster. “But it would have papered over the cracks. We were miles off.” Louise Taylor

Match report: Leeds 1-0 Watford

4) Barkley revival the latest success for Tuchel

“He does not have to love the situation but he needs to accept it in a positive way,” Thomas Tuchel said when asked about Ross Barkley’s place in his plans last month. The words were not particularly encouraging for the 27-year-old, who struggled on loan at Aston Villa last season, and it was hard to see him forcing his way into Chelsea’s midfield. At that stage he seemed an afterthought, especially as the European champions had just borrowed Saúl Ñíguez from Atlético Madrid. Yet Barkley’s response has left Saúl looking like a luxury signing. He accepted Tuchel’s challenge and has become a useful option off the bench. Barkley impressed after coming on against Juventus in midweek and against Southampton on Saturday. He replaced Ruben Loftus-Cheek, another revived talent, and was involved when Timo Werner scored the decisive goal in a late 3-1 win. Tuchel, who left Kai Havertz and Hakim Ziyech on the bench, showed meritocracy in action. Jacob Steinberg

Match report: Chelsea 3-1 Southampton

5) Potter’s reputation continues to swell

Brighton were without several key players on Saturday, including the vaunted midfielder Yves Bissouma, and also found themselves up against the defender they had sold to Arsenal for £50m. But while Ben White held firm for the visitors, the abiding memory was of a marvellously dynamic performance from Graham Potter’s side that deserved more even though clear chances were rare. Their clarity and consistency have few peers; their level in general play rarely dipped even last winter. When wins were not forthcoming and there were isolated calls for his head, Potter has created a team in his own image, one that operates with supreme intelligence and, for all its quality, is not reliant on individuals. The manager’s understated demeanor belies the reality that he is one of the best around. When one of the top jobs next comes up there is logically no reason why he should not be near the top of anyone’s shortlist. Nick Ames

Match report: Brighton 0-0 Arsenal

6) Moura key to Spurs’ front three

For a man who scored a hat-trick on Tottenham’s greatest night of the past 20 years, Lucas Moura remains a weirdly low-key player. To an extent that is a result of his own humility but it’s also to do with his curious goals return. He’s a great man for a Europa League goal against smaller opposition, but in the last two seasons he has scored just seven in the Premier League. His energy and application, though, are unimpeachable and with Harry Kane seemingly under instruction to remain higher up the pitch against Aston Villa, his shuttling runs were the only real link between midfield and forward line. The goal he seemed to have scored was eventually credited as an own goal by Matt Targett, but if he could get back to something closer to the 10 league goals he managed in his first full season, Spurs might actually have a front three that can compete at the highest level. Jonathan Wilson

Match report: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Aston Villa

7) Wissa shows Brentford have options as well as quality

Yoane Wissa has made quite the impact since arriving at Brentford from Lorient in August and it is even more remarkable given that, a matter of weeks previously, he had to undergo emergency eye surgery after being the victim of a liquid attack at his home. His winner at West Ham made it five goals in six league and cup games, four of those appearances coming off the bench, meaning the outstanding strike duo of Ivan Toney and Bryan Mbeumo have genuine competition. “Wissa is a game changer coming off the bench,” Thomas Frank said. “Will it stay like that for ever? I don’t know, but I have two fantastic strikers in Bryan and Ivan.” That is fair enough: Mbuemo scored the Bees’ opener at the London Stadium and was a constant handful, while Toney played a crucial part in that goal and was a danger throughout. But Brentford, who were rocked by injuries before and during the game, answered any questions about their squad depth in emphatic fashion. Nick Ames

Match report: West Ham 1-2 Brentford

8) City’s lack of striker will continue to be scrutinized

Jack Grealish is a lovely footballer with lovely calves and Pep Guardiola is an irredeemable aesthete with an insatiable desire for attacking midfielders of unspecified position, so it is no surprise to see the former playing for the latter. But as a consequence, Riyad Mahrez and Raheem Sterling have been sidelined, a move that makes little sense. Even if Grealish is better than both the other two are both good enough, reliable scorers and proven at the top level. On the other hand, City have needed a centre-forward since Sergio Agüero’s fitness deteriorated, so why they didn’t put all their money towards Harry Kane or similar is unfathomable now, following a second straight match of spurned opportunities. This is not to say that a draw at Anfield is a poor result, but City performed well enough in the first half to put Liverpool away in humiliating fashion, an oversight they might live to regret. Daniel Harris

Match report: Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City

9) Olise repays fans with fine strike

The growing clamor among Crystal Palace supporters for Patrick Vieira to give new signing Michael Olise his opportunity proved to be worth it, the 19-year-old inspireing a thrilling comeback against Leicester. Since joining from Reading in the summer he has been restricted to cameos while he recovered from injury, but brought off the bench in the 54th minute, he made an instant impact by scoring an excellent goal. An elegant playmaker who is eligible to represent France, Algeria, England and Nigeria, he looks capable of providing Palace with the creative spark they are missing in the absence of the injured Eberechi Eze, although Vieira is wary of expecting too much of his rising star. “It’s about him keeping working,” he said. “He’s doing well in training, he can score goals, but we have to support him to develop himself.” Ed Aarons

Match report: Crystal Palace 2-2 Leicester City

10) Idah deserves chance as Canaries need goals

Norwich have scored just twice in their seven league games, three fewer than any other team, while only Newcastle have conceded as many as their 16. These are worrying statistics, so given Daniel Farke has few defensive options, perhaps he needs to reimagine his attack. Teemu Pukki is undroppable – without him, that goals-for tally would still sit at zero – but it is time that Adam Idah, who has started every game bar one on the bench, was given a run. During the last international break, Stephen Kenny picked him for all three of Ireland’s games and was rewarded with decent showings. Idah’s qualities of pace, touch, strength and mentality are extremely transferable to a relegation battle, and though it’s unlikely he’ll return the numbers to save Norwich, by running channels and holding it up he’ll give them an out-ball, taking pressure off their defence and building their attackers a platform. Daniel Harris

Match report: Burnley 0-0 Norwich



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.