The UN human rights office (OHCHR) said that vulnerable people on the move in Libya experience “a myriad of daily violations and abuses at the hands of both State and non-state actors.”
Marta Hurtado, spokesperson for OHCHR, expressed concern at a number of major incidents in which migrants and asylum seekers had been targeted since the beginning of October.
Migrants and asylum seekers in Libya have been facing increasingly heavy-handed treatment from targeted security operations, that have resulted in at least six deaths.
According to OHCHR, all those arrested were taken to the al-Mabani Government-run detention center in Tripoli and kept in extremely overcrowded cells with little access to food or water.
On October 6, 500 migrants managed to escape from the Gheriyan center and were chased by guards who opened fire using live ammunition.
According to preliminary information, at least four individuals were shot dead, and many others injured.
The UN and aid organizations concerned with migration constantly denounce the inhuman conditions at the detention centers in Libya.
The UN refugee agency said it had recovered the bodies of 15 migrants and 177 survivors from two coastguard boats returning to Libya people who had sought to cross the Mediterranean. It further published footage showing dozens of migrants not feeling well and receiving medical care.
More than 26,000 migrants or refugees were reported as having been intercepted by the Libyan coastguard since the beginning of the year, which is double that of last year of less than 11,000.