Turkish Defense Minister Warns Against Alliances that Harm NATO

Turkey's Defense Minister Hulusi Akar attends a NATO defense ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium February 13, 2020. (Reuters)
Turkey's Defense Minister Hulusi Akar attends a NATO defense ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium February 13, 2020. (Reuters)
TT

Turkish Defense Minister Warns Against Alliances that Harm NATO

Turkey's Defense Minister Hulusi Akar attends a NATO defense ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium February 13, 2020. (Reuters)
Turkey's Defense Minister Hulusi Akar attends a NATO defense ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium February 13, 2020. (Reuters)

NATO-member Turkey’s defense minister said the forming of alliances outside of NATO would harm the organization, according to comments released on Saturday, after Greece and France agreed a defense pact last month.

NATO allies Greece and France clinched a strategic military and defense cooperation pact in September, which includes an order for three French frigates worth about 3 billion euros.

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said this month that the agreement will allow the two countries to come to each other’s aid in the event of an external threat.

“Given that we are inside NATO, everyone should know that the search for various alliances outside of it will both cause harm to NATO and our bilateral relations, and shake confidence,” Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar told reporters after a NATO defense ministers in Brussels this week.

The comments were released by the Turkish defense ministry.

Greece and Turkey are at odds over their continental shelves and their maritime boundaries. They re-launched exploratory contacts on their disputes earlier this year and Akar said he had a constructive meeting with his Greek counterpart.

“We had positive, constructive talks with the Greek defense minister. We expect to see positive results from these talks in the period ahead,” Akar said.

Separately, Akar said that “technical work has been launched” on obtaining Viper F16 jets from the United States as well as modernizing warplanes that Turkey already has.

The United States this week did not confirm President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s comment that Washington had made an offer to Ankara for the sale of F-16 fighter jets but added that it has not made Turkey a financing offer for the warplanes.

Erdogan said on Sunday that the United States had proposed the sale of F-16 fighter jets to Turkey in return for its investment in the F-35 program, from which Ankara was removed after buying missile defense systems from Russia.



Iran ‘Drafting Framework to Advance’ Future US Talks, Says FM

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iran ‘Drafting Framework to Advance’ Future US Talks, Says FM

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iran's top diplomat Abbas Araghchi said on Wednesday that Tehran was "drafting" a framework for future talks with the United States, as the US energy secretary said Washington would stop Iran's nuclear ambitions "one way or another".

Diplomatic efforts are underway to avert the possibility of US military intervention in Iran, with Washington conducting a military build-up in the region.

Iran and the US held a second round of Oman-mediated negotiations on Tuesday in Geneva, after talks last year collapsed following Israel's attack on Iran in June, which started a 12-day war.

Araghchi said on Tuesday that Tehran had agreed with Washington on "guiding principles", but US Vice President JD Vance said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's "red lines".

On Wednesday, Araghchi held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

In the call, Araghchi "stressed Iran's focus on drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks", according to a statement from the Iranian foreign ministry.

Also on Wednesday, US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would deter Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other".

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

Earlier on Wednesday, Reza Najafi, Iran's permanent representative to the IAEA in Vienna, held a joint meeting with Grossi and the ambassadors of China and Russia "to exchange views" on the upcoming session of the agency's board of governors meetings and "developments related to Iran's nuclear program", Iran's mission in Vienna said on X.

Tehran has suspended some cooperation with the IAEA and restricted the watchdog's inspectors from accessing sites bombed by Israel and the United States, accusing the UN body of bias and of failing to condemn the strikes.

- Displays of military might -

The Omani-mediated talks were aimed at averting the possibility of US military action, while Tehran is demanding the lifting of US sanctions that are crippling its economy.

Iran has insisted that the discussions be limited to the nuclear issue, though Washington has previously pushed for Tehran's ballistic missiles program and support for armed groups in the region to be on the table.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene militarily against Iran, first over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month and then more recently over its nuclear program.

On Wednesday, Israeli President Isaac Herzog sent a message to Iranians, saying "I want to send the people of Iran best wishes for the month of Ramadan, and I truly hope and pray that this reign of terror will end and that we will see a different era in the Middle East," according to a statement from his office.

Washington has ordered two aircraft carriers to the region, with the first, the USS Abraham Lincoln with nearly 80 aircraft, positioned about 700 kilometers (435 miles) from the Iranian coast as of Sunday, satellite images showed.

Iran has also sought to display its own military might, with its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps beginning a series of war games on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iranian politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strait, a major global conduit for oil and gas.

On Tuesday, state TV reported that Tehran would close parts of the waterway for safety measures during the drills.

Iran's supreme leader warned on Tuesday that the country had the ability to sink a US warship deployed to the region.


US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.