Amal Slams FPM after it Accuses it of Complicity with Lebanese Forces in Beirut Clashes

An employee looks through an office window riddled with bullet holes after the deadly clashes that erupted in Tayyouneh, Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. (AP)
An employee looks through an office window riddled with bullet holes after the deadly clashes that erupted in Tayyouneh, Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. (AP)
TT

Amal Slams FPM after it Accuses it of Complicity with Lebanese Forces in Beirut Clashes

An employee looks through an office window riddled with bullet holes after the deadly clashes that erupted in Tayyouneh, Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. (AP)
An employee looks through an office window riddled with bullet holes after the deadly clashes that erupted in Tayyouneh, Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. (AP)

The Amal movement, headed by Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, slammed the Free Patriotic Movement (FPM) after it accused it of complicity with the Lebanese Forces (LF) in the recent clashes in Beirut’s Tayyouneh area.

Some ten days ago, Hezbollah and its ally Amal had staged a protest in Tayyouneh against Beirut port blast lead investigating judge, Tarek Bitar. Tensions between them and the LF boiled over, leading to armed clashes in the area reminiscent of the 1975-90 civil war. Seven people were killed in the fighting.

Amal’s strongly worded statement was a response to the FPM’s accusation that parliament was usurping the authority of the legislative authority and that the movement was complicit with the LF in the Tayyouneh clashes.

The FPM criticized parliament’s decision earlier this week to hold next year’s parliamentary elections in March instead of May as had been the norm for years.

It viewed the decision as a violation of the privileges of the legislative authority that has the right to set the date of the polls through a decree by the president, prime minister and interior minister. The FPM was founded by President Michel Aoun.

Moving the elections forward deprives 10,685 Lebanese people of the right to vote because their names have not been added to the electoral lists even though they have reached the voting age of 21.

Moreover, it also jeopardizes the electoral process because they would be held in March when the weather is still rainy and snowy, which exposes voters to dangers on the road when they are headed to polling stations.

The FPM also expressed its objection to holding the elections during Lent, which it said could be inconvenient to fasting Christians.

Turning to the Tayyouneh clashes, the FPM condemned the scenes of “militia strife, during which the Lebanese bore witness to the complicity of two parliamentary blocs” – meaning Amal and the LF.

The FPM stressed its commitment to the 2006 understanding it reached with Hezbollah that stands in contrast to the “duo of complicity in Tayyouneh.”

“This understanding is the guarantee that prevents the return of the frontlines and barricades of fire and blood,” it added, in reference to the civil war.

It slammed “those who falsely boast of supporting the judiciary and yet shirk judicial summons and protect several fugitives.”

Bitar had issued an arrest warrant for top Amal member and former minister Ali Hassan Khalil after he had failed to appear for an interrogation related to the Beirut port blast probe.

Amal was quick to respond to the FPM, accusing it and Aoun of leading Lebanon to the “pit of Hell, as the president had famously foretold the Lebanese.”

“Amid its political and popular losses, the FPM is attempting to come up with delusionary scenarios from its sick mind to cover up for its reality and the political and livelihood crimes it has committed against the Lebanese people,” said the statement

It accused the FPM of exploiting its understanding with Hezbollah to stir strife and undermine the alliance between Amal and the party.

“This alliance has been baptized by the blood of the martyrs who fell side-by-side in Tayyouneh in an embodiment of the confrontation to politicize the judiciary in the dark rooms headed by [the FPM’s] Salim Jreissati,” it continued.

It is this “dark room that is manipulating the work of Judge Tarek Bitar amid the mentality of intolerance and sectarian isolation that the FPM and its supporters are enduring,” alleged Amal.

“The FPM knows very well that we have never allied ourselves to the LF. The movement and its leader, on the other hand, were more than eager to sign an agreement with it over the distribution of shares” so that Aoun could become president in 2016 “in clear disregard of all of their political values,” it continued.

The statement underscored the fact that Amal lawmakers had submitted blank votes during the presidential elections in protest against Aoun’s nomination.

“We knew back then that a movement with such a mentality would only lead the country to the current state of political and economic collapse,” it stressed.

Amal noted that the proposal to hold the elections in March was welcomed by all blocs at parliament, except the FPM.

The FPM, it stated, is exploiting the president to avoid holding the elections altogether because it fears they will confirm their suspicions over their losing popularity.



Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the U.N.'s role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."


Few People Left at Syria Camp that Held ISIS Families, Former Director Says

Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
TT

Few People Left at Syria Camp that Held ISIS Families, Former Director Says

Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi

Fewer than 1,000 families remain at a camp where relatives of suspected ISIS militants had been held in Syria's northeast, the camp's former director said on Wednesday, with thousands having fled last month as government forces seized control of the area from Kurdish-led fighters.

Al-Hol, near the Iraqi border, was one of the main detention camps for relatives of suspected ISIS militants who were detained during the US-backed campaign against the terrorist group in Syria.

Control of the camp changed hands last month when government forces under President Ahmed al-Sharaa seized swathes of the northeast from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, including several jails holding ISIS militants. The US military said last week it had completed a mission to transfer 5,700 adult male ISIS detainees to Iraq.

Jihan Hanna, the former director who still coordinates with international agencies and the Syrian government, told Reuters the remaining families were Syrian nationals and were being transferred to a camp in Aleppo. Most of the camp’s foreign nationals had fled, she said.

The Syrian government did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

According to the latest camp data obtained by Reuters, dated January 19 - a day before the government took control of the camp - its population was 6,639 families comprising 23,407 people, mostly Syrians and Iraqis, as well as 6,280 foreigners from more than 40 nationalities.

UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, said it had observed "a significant decrease in the number of residents in al-Hol camp in recent weeks," adding in a statement to Reuters that there were no confirmed figures on the remaining population.

"Over the weekend the camp administration advised UNHCR not to enter the camp due to the unrest and anxiety in the camp," UNHCR added.

The Syrian government accused the SDF of withdrawing from al-Hol on January 20 without any coordination.

The SDF, in a statement that day, said its forces had been "compelled to withdraw from al-Hol camp and redeploy to areas surrounding cities in northern Syria that are facing increasing risks and threats."

A Syrian government security source said most people in the camp fled that day during a five-hour period when it was unguarded, and that some had left with men who came to take their relatives to unknown destinations.

The security source and a source from a non-governmental organization working there said a section of the camp that housed its most dangerous residents, known as the annex, was empty.

The security source said the escapees had spread throughout Syria and that security authorities, working in cooperation with international partners, had established a unit to "follow up on the matter and pursue those who are wanted."

Some have left Syria.

In Lebanon, the army has questioned more than a dozen Lebanese who crossed illegally from Syria after leaving al-Hol, a Lebanese security source said.

The Syrian government’s Directorate of International Cooperation said on Tuesday that hundreds of people, mostly women and children, had been transferred from al-Hol to a newly prepared camp near the town of Akhtarin in northern Aleppo.