Lebanese FM Acknowledges Govt’s Inability to Confront Hezbollah

Lebanon's Foreign Minister Abdullah Bou Habib walks at the presidential palace in Baabda, Sept. 13, 2021. (Reuters)
Lebanon's Foreign Minister Abdullah Bou Habib walks at the presidential palace in Baabda, Sept. 13, 2021. (Reuters)
TT

Lebanese FM Acknowledges Govt’s Inability to Confront Hezbollah

Lebanon's Foreign Minister Abdullah Bou Habib walks at the presidential palace in Baabda, Sept. 13, 2021. (Reuters)
Lebanon's Foreign Minister Abdullah Bou Habib walks at the presidential palace in Baabda, Sept. 13, 2021. (Reuters)

Lebanese Foreign Minister Abdullah Bou Habib acknowledged that the government is incapable of confronting Hezbollah, describing the Iran-backed party as a “regional problem.”

Lebanon’s ties with the Gulf have been strained in wake of Lebanese Information Minister George Kordahi’s offensive comments against Saudi Arabia and the war in Yemen. The Kingdom has since recalled its ambassador in Beirut, expelled the Lebanese ambassador in Riyadh and banned all imports from Lebanon. Bahrain and Kuwait have since followed suit in recalling their envoys.

In an attempt to justify why the government has failed to take steps to resolve the crisis, Bou Habib said: “Saudi Arabia is demanding that the government restrict the role of Hezbollah.”

“We are confronted with a big problem because if they just want Hezbollah's head on a plate, we can't give them that,” he told Reuters.

“Hezbollah is a component of politics in Lebanon. It has a regional armed dimension, yes, but this is beyond what we can resolve,” he added.

“We all want one army and one country, but we have a reality to contend with,” he continued.

Moreover, Bou Habib said the government’s resignation was “out of the question because it did not commit any mistake.”

Kordahi had made his statements over the summer before he assumed office.

So far, only Qatar has offered to mediate to resolve the crisis, revealed Bou Habib.

Warnings have mounted in Lebanon over the impact Saudi Arabia and the Gulf’s measures will have against the country. More and more officials are demanding that wrong policies be amended and that Hezbollah and its control over the state be confronted, reflecting a realization that the problem this time is a product of the accumulation of a series of issues that cannot be resolved through regular means.

Now is the time to take measures that would restrict the party’s reach in Lebanon and beyond its borders.

Former minister Ashraf Rifi said the current crisis with the Gulf is a result of “the occupation of Iran, the enemy of Arabs.”

“Kordahi’s remarks were the final straw amid Hezbollah’s harm towards the Gulf and deliberate offense to it, the last of which was the smuggling of capatagon narcotic pills,” he added.

“It is only normal for any state that enjoys the bare minimum of sovereignty to take stances to protect itself and its people,” he continued.

“In order to mend the situation, Lebanon must condemn Hezbollah’s terrorism, but the current government cannot do so,” Rifi remarked.

He noted that Kordahi’s resignation could usher in some hope, but it will not resolve the problem.

“The solution lies in the ouster of the entire political authority, which has become, starting from the presidency, a puppet in Hezbollah’s hands,” he stated.

Former minister Ahmed Fatfat echoed Rifi’s remarks, adding that Kordahi’s comments were not made in a moment of folly, as some may believe.

“They were part of a comprehensive project led by Hezbollah with the aim of cutting Lebanon off from its Arab surroundings and placing it under Iranian occupation,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Kordahi’s resignation is not enough to end the crisis, he opined. Rather, the entire government must step down, as should the president.

A clear stance must be taken against Hezbollah and its weapons and the political cover it has been offered should be removed so that it can shoulder the consequences of its actions, he stressed.



Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.


Damascus, in Cooperation with Baghdad, Foils Plot to Smuggle Drugs Abroad

Quantities of Captagon prepared for smuggling abroad- SANA
Quantities of Captagon prepared for smuggling abroad- SANA
TT

Damascus, in Cooperation with Baghdad, Foils Plot to Smuggle Drugs Abroad

Quantities of Captagon prepared for smuggling abroad- SANA
Quantities of Captagon prepared for smuggling abroad- SANA

Syrian authorities said they have thwarted an attempt to smuggle a large shipment of drugs out of the country.

The Syrian Narcotics Directorate said on Wednesday it seized approximately 400,000 captagon pills, weighing about 65 kilograms, during an operation in Homs province in central Syria.

The drugs would have been smuggled to other countries, the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported. Two suspects were arrested on suspicion of managing a drug-trafficking network operating across borders.

The operation was carried out in coordination with Iraq’s General Directorate for Narcotics and Psychotropic Substances Control, SANA quoted a Syrian Interior Ministry statement as saying.

Earlier this month, the Syrian Narcotics Directorate conducted a joint security operation with the Iraqi authorities targeting an international drug-trafficking network, and seizing about 300,000 Captagon pills. Two people were also arrested.


How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.