Sadr Warns against Sectarian Strife in Iraq’s Diyala

A member of Iraqi security forces is seen after an attack by ISIS militants, near Muqdadiya, Iraq, October 27, 2021. (Reuters)
A member of Iraqi security forces is seen after an attack by ISIS militants, near Muqdadiya, Iraq, October 27, 2021. (Reuters)
TT

Sadr Warns against Sectarian Strife in Iraq’s Diyala

A member of Iraqi security forces is seen after an attack by ISIS militants, near Muqdadiya, Iraq, October 27, 2021. (Reuters)
A member of Iraqi security forces is seen after an attack by ISIS militants, near Muqdadiya, Iraq, October 27, 2021. (Reuters)

Political and popular reactions continued to pour in in wake of the terrorist attack in Iraq’s Diyala last week that killed and injured 30 people, the majority of whom were from the Shiite Bani Tamim tribe. Meanwhile, militias have been forcibly displacing locals from the area in wake of the attack.

The Ministry of Migration and Displaced said some 227 families have fled the Muqdadiya city, while a rights group said on Tuesday that some 480 have fled to safety out of fear of reprisals by militias believed to be linked to some Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) factions.

Sadrist movement leader, cleric Moqtada al-Sadr warned of impending “sectarian strife” in Diyala.

In a tweet, he urged security forces to work hard to protect the borders and deploy rapidly to curb the dangers.

Commenting on the Diyala unrest, former MP Dhafer al-Ani said: “The state has transformed into nothing more than a humanitarian organization. Instead of preventing killings and displacement among the people of Muqdadiya, we see it offering free burial shrouds to the martyrs and shelter and a million dinars to the displaced.”

The Ministry of Migration and Displaced has said on Sunday it was allocating a million dinars, or 650 dollars, to each displaced family.

Security forces have notably not commented on the developments in Diyala.

The Emtidad movement, which is affiliated with the October 2019 anti-government protests, condemned the unrest.

The movement, which won nine seats in the recent parliamentary elections, addressed the Iraqi people and residents of Diyala, saying it rejects the exploitation of innocent civilians “in settling political scores and forcing demographic changes that only serve sectarian powers and militias that thrive on chaos.”

It urged the security agencies to address the situation and prevent displacement in all its forms.

The Afada rights monitor painted a bleak and tragic picture in Diyala.

In a report, it said: “Armed forces are once against using sectarian violence against the local population in several villages in the northeastern regions of the province.”

“All this is taking place before the eyes of the government authorities in Baghdad and regular security forces, in one of the latest chapters of systematic violence in the province,” it added.

It said militants associated with the Badr organization, led by Hadi al-Ameri, and another operating under the PMF have carried out field executions against unarmed civilians. They have also burned down and destroyed homes in the Nahr al-Imam village.

It reported that as of Tuesday, 12 Iraqis, including two children, were directly killed in Nahr al-Imam. All testimonies point to more victims that have also been executed by the militias that stormed the village late on October 26.

Witnesses, security forces and families of the victims told the monitor that the developments are part of a sectarian campaign carried out by factions, which are protected by the government and state, with the purpose of creating demographic change.

Journalist Ahmed Abdulsada, who is affiliated with the militias and armed factions, had openly called on Friday for the “sectarian purification” of some Sunni regions of Diyala, such as Shawk al-Rim, Nahr al-Imam and al-Harounia “after they have become ISIS colonies and a base for it to launch attacks against Shiites in Muqdadiya and other regions.”

Abdulsada’s comments were vehemently condemned by Iraqis.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.