Protests Erupt against Haftar, Saif al-Islam's Run for President in Libya

People protest in Tripoli against Saif al-Islam and Haftar's run for president. (AFP)
People protest in Tripoli against Saif al-Islam and Haftar's run for president. (AFP)
TT

Protests Erupt against Haftar, Saif al-Islam's Run for President in Libya

People protest in Tripoli against Saif al-Islam and Haftar's run for president. (AFP)
People protest in Tripoli against Saif al-Islam and Haftar's run for president. (AFP)

Protests erupted in the Libya capital Tripoli after the son of late ruler Moammar al-Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam, and Libyan National Army (LNA) commander, Khalifa Haftar, announced their run for president.

The elections commission said 24 figures have submitted their candidacy for the country's top post. Three applications were rejected because they failed to meet the required criteria, while 1.2 million people have so far received their voter cards.

Speaker of the east-based parliament, Aguila Saleh, had also submitted his candidacy on Saturday.

Meanwhile, head of the Government of National Unity (GNU), Abdulhamid Dbeibeh criticized on Saturday the electoral law, saying it was "politically tailored" to certain figures in order to "deprive the Libyans from determining their own fate."

"Failure to amend the error will cost us dearly and will compound the suffering of the Libyans," he warned.

Separately, head of the High Council of State, Khalid al-Mishri, reiterated that he would be boycotting the elections, saying he would neither run in the polls or vote in them.

He revealed a proposal to hold the parliamentary elections in mid-February.

"We want elections to be held based on the constitution or a constitutional foundation," he said, while demanding guarantees against vote fraud.

He expressed his doubts that the presidential and parliamentary elections will be held on time on December 24 in line with the United Nations-led roadmap aimed at helping Libya end its crisis.

In submitting his candidacy on Saturday, Saleh, who is close to Haftar, said the time has run out for amending the electoral laws.

In Tripoli, people took to the streets to protest against Saif al-Islam and Haftar's run for the presidency.

They held banners that read: "Insisting on holding the presidential elections without the constitution is a call for civil war."

Another banner read: "No to military rule or war criminals."

Protesters trampled on posters of Saif al-Islam and Haftar, while other brandished the Libyan and Amazigh flags.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.