Iran Delegation Kicks Off Consultations In Vienna Ahead of Monday’s Official Talks

 Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said there had been no progress in talks with Tehran to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. JOE KLAMAR AFP/File
Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said there had been no progress in talks with Tehran to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. JOE KLAMAR AFP/File
TT

Iran Delegation Kicks Off Consultations In Vienna Ahead of Monday’s Official Talks

 Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said there had been no progress in talks with Tehran to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. JOE KLAMAR AFP/File
Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said there had been no progress in talks with Tehran to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. JOE KLAMAR AFP/File

An Iranian delegation headed by Ali Bagheri Kani Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs arrived in the Austrian capital and began preliminary talks 48 hours before the resumption of negotiations between Tehran and major powers to revive the 2015 nuclear agreement.

Discussions over the nuclear deal, which will kick off on Monday, will be headed by the European Union, in the presence of delegations from France, Britain, Germany, Russia and China. The US delegation, chaired by Special Envoy to Iran Robert Malley, will be outside the direct negotiating room, similar to the six previous rounds, at the request of Iran.

State-run ISNA news agency stated that the first round of talks between the parties to the nuclear agreement following the election of President Ibrahim Raisi “will be held at the level of deputy foreign ministers,” pointing to Tehran’s insistence on “lifting all the sanctions” in order to return to the negotiating table.

Iranian news sites reported that the negotiating team includes 40 people, including the deputy governor of the Central Bank, and representatives of the ministries of economy and trade. It was not clear whether the Iranian experts and officials, who attended the last six rounds, will be present at Monday’s talks.

Permanent Russian Envoy to International Organizations Mikhail Ulyanov tweeted that informal bilateral consultations began in Vienna in preparation for the resumption of official talks. The Russian official pointed out that reviving the nuclear agreement “requires a great effort.”

“If the opposing parties are willing to return to their full commitments and lift the sanctions, it will be possible to reach a good agreement, even an immediate one,” Iranian Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian said in a telephone conversation with EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell.

“Iran wants a good, verifiable agreement,” and it will attend the talks “in good faith,” he added.

In turn, Borrell wrote on Twitter that he told Abdollahian that getting the nuclear deal back on track was more urgent than ever.

His call came after the United States and its allies - France, Germany and Britain - issued an explicit warning to Tehran, saying that if Iran’s non-cooperation is not immediately addressed... the Council will have no choice but to re-convene in an extraordinary session before the end of the year to deal with the crisis.

The Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, said following a visit to Tehran on Monday that no progress had been made on a number of issues.

“In terms of the substance... we were not able to make progress,” he told reporters, saying that the lack of agreement had come “in spite of my best efforts”.

Grossi had sought to tackle constraints put on IAEA inspections earlier this year, outstanding questions over the presence of undeclared nuclear material at sites in Iran, and the treatment of IAEA staff in the country.

Parallel to the tension between Iran and the IAEA, Israel escalated its rhetoric, threatening to resort to a military strike.

On Thursday evening, Israel’s Channel 12 revealed a British intelligence report, which until recently was only available to senior Western intelligence officials, indicating that Iran has enough enriched uranium to develop a bomb within a month.

The channel quoted a senior Israeli official as saying that Tehran accumulated invaluable knowledge, and thus the agreements signed with it became devoid of content. But he noted that Iran currently lacks a design for a warhead that is small enough to be affixed atop any of its arsenal of ballistic missiles, which will take them two other years to develop.



Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.


Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)

Poland has barred Chinese-made vehicles from entering military facilities due to concerns their onboard sensors could be used to collect sensitive data, the Polish Army said on Tuesday evening.

The army said in ‌a statement ‌that such vehicles ‌may ⁠still be allowed onto ⁠secured sites if specified functions are disabled and other safeguards required under each facility's security rules are in place.

To ⁠limit the risk ‌of ‌exposing confidential information, the military has ‌also banned connecting company ‌phones to infotainment systems in vehicles manufactured in China.

The restrictions do not apply ‌to publicly accessible military locations such as hospitals, ⁠clinics, ⁠libraries, prosecutors' offices or garrison clubs, the army said.

It added that the measures are precautionary and align with practices used by NATO members and other allies to ensure high standards of protection for defense infrastructure.