Pele Hospitalized for Tumor Treatment

Brazilian soccer legend Pele laughs during the inauguration of a refurbished soccer field at the Mineira slum in Rio de Janeiro September 10, 2014. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes/File Photo
Brazilian soccer legend Pele laughs during the inauguration of a refurbished soccer field at the Mineira slum in Rio de Janeiro September 10, 2014. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes/File Photo
TT

Pele Hospitalized for Tumor Treatment

Brazilian soccer legend Pele laughs during the inauguration of a refurbished soccer field at the Mineira slum in Rio de Janeiro September 10, 2014. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes/File Photo
Brazilian soccer legend Pele laughs during the inauguration of a refurbished soccer field at the Mineira slum in Rio de Janeiro September 10, 2014. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes/File Photo

Brazilian football legend Pele has been hospitalized for treatment of a previously identified colon tumor, his doctors said Wednesday, the latest health issue for the 81-year-old icon.

The three-time world champion was admitted to Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo "for follow-up treatment of the colon tumor identified in September this year," his medical team said in a statement.

"The patient is stable, and is expected to be released in the coming days."

It did not say when Pele was hospitalized.

Pele underwent surgery for the tumor on September 4, spending a month in the hospital before being released to continue chemotherapy.

The star's public relations agency described the latest hospital stay as routine.

"He went in for chemo. He always has to go to the hospital for the treatment," it said in a note.

"Papi is Great," said Pele's daughter Flavia Kurtz under a photo of him at the hospital after the procedure she posted to Instagram just after 7:00 pm (1000 GMT).

Her sister Kely Nascimento, who has provided fans with updates on her father's condition, posted the same photo to Instagram, AFP reported.

"This was not a surprise. It was already scheduled and is part of the treatment," she said in the caption.

"In two or three days he will be back home to enjoy Christmas."

Considered by many the greatest footballer of all time, Edson Arantes do Nascimento -- Pele's real name -- has been in poor health in recent years, and has spent a number of stints in the hospital.

He has used a walker at his latest public appearances, which have grown increasingly rare.

But he maintains an active presence on social media, recently congratulating Lionel Messi for winning his seventh Ballon d'Or and posting a tribute to fellow South American star Diego Maradona on the first anniversary of his death.

The only player in history to win three World Cups (1958, 1962 and 1970), Pele burst onto the global stage at just 17 by scoring dazzling goals, including two in the final against hosts Sweden, as Brazil won the World Cup for the first time in 1958.

"O Rei" (The King) went on to have one of the most storied careers in sport, scoring more than 1,000 goals before retiring in 1977.



Spurs Survive as Guardiola, Salah Say Premier League Farewells

 24 May 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans following the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Brentford at Anfield. (Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa)
24 May 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans following the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Brentford at Anfield. (Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa)
TT

Spurs Survive as Guardiola, Salah Say Premier League Farewells

 24 May 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans following the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Brentford at Anfield. (Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa)
24 May 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans following the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Brentford at Anfield. (Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa)

Tottenham secured Premier League survival on a dramatic final day of the season on Sunday as West Ham's 14-year stay in the top division came to an end.

Spurs kicked off against Everton needing, realistically, only a draw to avoid relegation for the first time since 1977 -- as they sat two points clear of the Hammers with a significantly better goal difference.

Joao Palhinha released the mounting pressure at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium just before half-time, poking home after his header thundered back off a post.

The Portugal midfielder was mobbed by his teammates as head coach Roberto De Zerbi sprinted down the touchline, turning to celebrate with ecstatic fans in the London sunshine.

That goal left Nuno Espirito Santo's West Ham, then drawing 0-0 with Leeds, needing a favour from Everton, even if they went on to win their match.

Just a few miles away, at the London Stadium, Valentin Castellanos gave West Ham some hope midway through the second half as he fired the Irons in front.

Jarrod Bowen and Callum Wilson made it 3-0 at the full-time whistle but it was too little too late for the Hammers as a nervy Spurs held on to secure all three points.

Spurs have enjoyed a mini-revival in recent weeks under De Zerbi, who arrived in late March as the club's third manager of the season.

Relegation would have been financially disastrous for the ninth-richest club in world, who won the Europa League last season under former boss Ange Postecoglou.

The Hammers, who were promoted to the English top division in 2012, will join Burnley and Wolves in the Championship next season.

- Pep farewell -

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola walked out at the Etihad for the final time as manager after a decade of almost unbroken success, with newly crowned Europa League winners Aston Villa the visitors.

The Catalan on Friday confirmed reports that he was leaving the club after 10 years in charge, with six Premier League titles and the Champions League in his huge collection of silverware.

A huge banner rippled over the heads of the fans bearing a giant image of Guardiola, with the messages "Game Changer" and "History Maker".

There were smaller banners either side to mark the departures of long-serving defender John Stones and midfielder Bernardo Silva.

Antoine Semenyo gave the home side the lead but Ollie Watkins, named this week in England's World Cup squad, scored twice to secure fourth spot in the table for Villa.

Elsewhere on a day of significant departures, Mohamed Salah and Andy Robertson revelled in a party atmosphere at Anfield as they said farewell to the club.

Just a week ago Salah, 33, undermined Liverpool boss Arne Slot when he called for a return to the "heavy metal football" played under former boss Jurgen Klopp.

But Slot included the "Egyptian King" -- third on the list of Liverpool's all-time goalscorers -- in his starting line-up alongside Scotland defender Robertson.

Banners in the crowd celebrated both players, one saying "Thank you legends". Another said: "We Have Gone From Great To Glory. Salah Is Our King".

A 1-1 draw meant that Liverpool finish fifth in the table -- a stark comedown after last season's Premier League title triumph.

Ten-man Chelsea lost 2-1 at Sunderland, meaning that newly appointed boss Xabi Alonso will have no European football when he is at the helm next season.

Sunderland and Bournemouth have qualified for the Europa League while Brighton will be in the UEFA Conference League.

There was a party atmosphere at Selhurst Park, where champions Arsenal made nine changes ahead of next week's Champions League final against Paris Saint-Germain.

Crystal Palace players gave Mikel Arteta's men a guard of honor before kick-off to mark their Premier League triumph.

The Gunners, who beat Conference League finalists Palace 2-1, sealed their first English league title since 2004 earlier this week after City could only draw at Bournemouth.

On the south coast, Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes set a new outright record of 21 assists in a single Premier League season when he set up Patrick Dorgu's goal in a 3-0 win at Brighton.


Zverev in Cruise Control as French Open Starts Under Blazing Sun

Germany's Alexander Zverev celebrates after winning his men's singles match against France's Benjamin Bonzi on day 1 of the French Open tennis tournament on Court Philippe-Chatrier at the Roland-Garros Complex in Paris on May 24, 2026. (AFP)
Germany's Alexander Zverev celebrates after winning his men's singles match against France's Benjamin Bonzi on day 1 of the French Open tennis tournament on Court Philippe-Chatrier at the Roland-Garros Complex in Paris on May 24, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Zverev in Cruise Control as French Open Starts Under Blazing Sun

Germany's Alexander Zverev celebrates after winning his men's singles match against France's Benjamin Bonzi on day 1 of the French Open tennis tournament on Court Philippe-Chatrier at the Roland-Garros Complex in Paris on May 24, 2026. (AFP)
Germany's Alexander Zverev celebrates after winning his men's singles match against France's Benjamin Bonzi on day 1 of the French Open tennis tournament on Court Philippe-Chatrier at the Roland-Garros Complex in Paris on May 24, 2026. (AFP)

French Open dark horse Alexander Zverev started his Roland Garros campaign with a meticulous 6-3 6-4 6-2 first-round demolition of France's Benjamin Bonzi in searing heat on Sunday.

The 2024 runner-up and three-time semi-finalist, who is chasing his maiden Grand Slam title, never allowed the world number 95 into the contest on court Philippe Chatrier as he set up a second-round meeting with Tomas Machac ‌of Czech ‌Republic.

"Very good start to the tournament, ‌it's ⁠always good to ⁠start with a win in straight sets especially against Benjamin who can be a tricky opponent," the German second seed said.

The two-week tournament started under blazing sun as fans in Panama hats streamed into Roland Garros, which felt more like ⁠the Riviera than claycourt grind as ‌alleys echoed with a ‌violin rendition of Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" and other soft-rock staples. ‌

With temperatures expected to exceed 30 degrees ‌Celsius (86 Fahrenheit), Russian Karen Khachanov, seeded 13, dispatched French hope Arthur Gea on Court Suzanne Lenglen before 11th-seeded Swiss Belinda Bencic downed Sinja Kraus of Austria.

The claycourt Grand ‌Slam suffered two major withdrawals as twice champion Carlos Alcaraz pulled out ⁠last month ⁠with a wrist injury and much-hyped local favorite Arthur Fils also withdrew injured on Saturday.

Italian Jannik Sinner, the world number one, is the heavy favorite in the men’s draw, while the women’s draw seems wide open.

Serbian Novak Djokovic, chasing a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam title, opens his campaign against big-serving Frenchman Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard later on Sunday.

Russian eighth seed Mirra Andreeva will be the highest seeded woman in action when she takes on French wildcard Fiona Ferro.


De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
TT

De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)

Tottenham Hotspur manager ‌Roberto De Zerbi reiterated his commitment to the relegation-threatened Premier League club, saying he would stay on even if they were to drop into the second tier of English football.

Tottenham are two points above West Ham United in the final relegation spot, and a home draw with Everton on Sunday in ‌their final league ‌game of the season ‌would ⁠almost certainly be ⁠enough to ensure their survival, as the North London club have a superior goal difference.

However, if they lose to Everton and West Ham beat Leeds United, Tottenham could be relegated from the ⁠top flight for the first ‌time since 1977.

In ‌April, De Zerbi said he would remain ‌in charge of the club next ‌season regardless of results. When asked on Friday if he would stick to his word, the Italian told reporters: "Yeah, I confirm everything.

“It’s ‌still an honor to be a coach for Tottenham, even if ⁠on ⁠Sunday we play for the relegation fight, it’s not a problem. I consider football something more than the (league) table...

"We are fighting for something very important for everyone. It is football. But we have enough quality. To attack the pressure, you have to find the valor inside of yourself, to understand the situation and force yourself to give your best."