UN to Raise $4.27 Billion to Alleviate Yemen’s Humanitarian Crisis

The United Nations headquarters building is pictured though a window with the UN logo in the foreground in the Manhattan borough of New York August 15, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
The United Nations headquarters building is pictured though a window with the UN logo in the foreground in the Manhattan borough of New York August 15, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
TT

UN to Raise $4.27 Billion to Alleviate Yemen’s Humanitarian Crisis

The United Nations headquarters building is pictured though a window with the UN logo in the foreground in the Manhattan borough of New York August 15, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
The United Nations headquarters building is pictured though a window with the UN logo in the foreground in the Manhattan borough of New York August 15, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres appealed to donors to “contribute generously” to raise $4.27 billion to lift 17.3 million Yemenis out of poverty, destitution, hunger, and disease.

Yemeni Prime Minister Maeen Abdul-Malik, for his part, called on donor countries, organizations, and partners, not to “betray” the Yemenis, stressing that the solution to the humanitarian crisis “lies in stopping the catastrophic war” ignited by the Iranian-backed Houthi militia.

Guterres’ appeal came during an aid conference for Yemen, co-hosted by Sweden, Switzerland, and the UN in New York on Wednesday, to cover the needs for the implementation of the Humanitarian Response Plan.

Guterres said the plan includes “coordinated, well-designed programs to reach 17.3 million people [with] $4.27 billion in assistance.” The UN received only $1.3 billion in pledges, according to Reuters.

Addressing the conference, Guterres said: “Your pledges are an essential lifeline for the people of Yemen. Last year, you contributed over $2.3 billion to Yemen’s Humanitarian Response Plan. Because of your generosity, nearly 12 million people received life-saving assistance every month in 2021.”

He continued: “Yemen may have receded from the headlines, but the human suffering has not relented. For seven years and counting the Yemeni people have been confronting death, destruction, displacement, starvation, terror, division, and destitution on a massive scale. Tens of thousands of civilians — including at least 10,000 children — have died. For millions of internally displaced people, life is a daily struggle for survival.”

The UN secretary-general warned against further deterioration of the humanitarian situation, stressing that Yemen’s economy has “reached new depths of despair.”

“The war in Ukraine will only make all of that even worse with skyrocketing prices for food, fuel, and other essentials. Millions are facing extreme hunger, and the World Food Program had to cut rations in half due to the lack of funds. Further cuts are looming. This is a tragedy. Two in three Yemenis — 20 million men, women, and children — live in extreme poverty,” he said.

Guterres called on the donors to contribute generously, noting that the funding will provide nutrition to almost 7 million people; water, sanitation, hygiene, and protection to over 11 million; health care to close to 13 million people; and education to over 5 million children.

“I urge all donors to fund our appeal fully and commit to disbursing funds quickly. As a matter of moral responsibility, of human decency and compassion, of international solidarity, and of life and death — we must support the people of Yemen now,” he stated.

In a video speech, Yemeni Prime Minister Maeen Abdul-Malik said that his people can “no longer tolerate” the situation following seven years of war, adding that stifling economic and humanitarian crises have closed the “window of hope”.

He added that life-saving UN aid has prevented the country from “slipping into famine,” and that any reductions in funding would increase pressures and challenges facing the Yemeni people.

Abdul-Malik said the UN conference was “a test of humanity, a proof of international solidarity, and a message of reassurance to the Yemeni people that brothers and friends from donor countries, organizations and partners will not let them down.”

He continued: “We are all aware that the solution to the humanitarian crisis lies in stopping the war and moving to a comprehensive political path to peace. The effects of the war ignited by the Houthi militia are catastrophic, on all levels.”

Swiss President Ignazio Cassis announced that his country would contribute $15.8 million to aid in Yemen.

“It is time to redouble our efforts,” he said. “We need to ensure adequate funding for the humanitarian response. We must ensure that our contributions reach those in need as quickly as possible.”

Swedish Foreign Minister Ann Linde said her country will raise the amount of pledges from last year, adding that the initial allocation for 2022 will reach more than $35 million.

The United States offered $585 million and the European Union and member states together offered $407.4 million. Britain pledged 88 million pounds ($115 million).

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in this regard that it was “particularly difficult” to support Yemen when “the spotlight moves elsewhere.”

He added that 17 million Yemenis need food assistance, and that figure could rise to 19 million this year.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.