Arab Coalition Foils Houthi Plan to Target Oil Tankers in the Red Sea

Royal Saudi Defense Forces (Archive-Asharq Al-Awsat)
Royal Saudi Defense Forces (Archive-Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Arab Coalition Foils Houthi Plan to Target Oil Tankers in the Red Sea

Royal Saudi Defense Forces (Archive-Asharq Al-Awsat)
Royal Saudi Defense Forces (Archive-Asharq Al-Awsat)

The Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen destroyed two explosive-laden Houthi boats on Wednesday thwarting an attack on giant oil tankers in the Red Sea.

The coalition said the attempt to launch the two boats was prepared from the Hodeidah governorate, and that the Houthi militia is escalating its hostile attacks to target energy sources.

The coalition also said that Saudi air defenses destroyed a Houthi ballistic missile that was launched to target Jazan.

The attacks come two days after the Royal Saudi Air Defense, and the Royal Saudi Air Force thwarted a ballistic missile launched to target Jazan, destroying and shooting down nine drones.

According to the Saudi-led coalition, drone strikes hit an Aramco petroleum products distribution terminal in Jeddah, leading to a fire in one of the tanks.

It said that the fire was controlled and did not result in any casualties.

“The terrorist, Iran-backed Houthi militia escalated its hostile, cross-border attacks towards the Kingdom last night and earlier this morning, targeting civilian objects and economic installations in a deliberate, systematic manner,” said the Official Spokesperson of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen Brigadier General Turki al-Malki.

Earlier, Saudi Arabia said it would not bear responsibility for any global oil supply shortages after attacks on its oil facilities by the Iran-aligned Houthis.

Riyadh warned that Houthi repeated attacks on its oil facilities threatened the security of oil supplies and called on the international community to stand firmly against the Houthis.

The Kingdom stressed the importance of the international community to realize the gravity of Iran’s continued behavior of equipping the terrorist Houthi militias with ballistic missiles technology and advanced UAVs with which they target the Kingdom’s oil, gas, and refined products production sites.

Oil prices are witnessing a significant increase three weeks after the Russian-Ukrainian war, which caused tension in energy markets.

Industrial countries sought to urge the oil-producing governments to amend their production policies linked to the “OPEC Plus” alliance.



Saudi Arabia Condemns Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airport

The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Saudi Arabia Condemns Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airport

The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Saudi Arabia strongly condemned on Tuesday Israeli airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airport.

A Foreign Ministry statement said the Kingdom slammed the attack as a “flagrant violation of international law and Syria's sovereignty.”

“The Kingdom stresses its rejection of this blatant act of aggression and renews its call on the international community to put an end to Israel’s violations of international laws and norms,” it demanded.

It reiterated its solidarity with Syria and “support for all efforts aimed at safeguarding its sovereignty, preserving the integrity and unity of its territory, and achieving security and stability for the brotherly Syrian people.”


UAE Accuses Iran of Firing Ballistic Missiles at Its Territory

Tuesday's warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. (Reuters)
Tuesday's warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. (Reuters)
TT

UAE Accuses Iran of Firing Ballistic Missiles at Its Territory

Tuesday's warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. (Reuters)
Tuesday's warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. (Reuters)

The United Arab Emirates on Tuesday accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles at its territory, marking the first time the defense ministry detected a barrage aimed at the country in months. 

"UAE air defenses detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran toward the country, with the first falling outside the country's territorial waters, while the second fell within the territorial waters," said a statement posted by the defense ministry on X. 

The statement came nearly two hours after a brief phone alert warned UAE residents of a "potential missile threat". 

"Due to the current situation, potential missile threats, immediately seek a safe place in the closest secure building," the interior ministry said in the phone alert, which was lifted shortly after. 

It was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. Before that, the last missile warning came in early May. 

Tankers belonging to state-owned oil company ADNOC have been repeatedly targeted in the past few weeks. 

When the Middle East war began on February 28, the UAE bore the brunt of Iran's attacks, with nearly 3,000 missiles and drones directed at the country -- more than anywhere else in the region. 

After a memorandum of understanding came into effect in June between the two parties, which has since collapsed, the UAE reported no attacks. 


Saudi Cabinet Welcomes Launch of Multinational Maritime Defense Alliance

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud  - SPA
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud - SPA
TT

Saudi Cabinet Welcomes Launch of Multinational Maritime Defense Alliance

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud  - SPA
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud - SPA

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chaired the Cabinet session on Tuesday, which reviewed Saudi Arabia’s recent discussions and consultations with brotherly and friendly nations to enhance bilateral and multilateral cooperation across various fields, achieve mutual interests, and support regional and international security and stability.

The Cabinet welcomed the institutional and operational activation of the Saudi-led Multinational Maritime Defense Alliance following the completion of its organizational and planning frameworks. This marks a new phase of joint action to achieve full operational readiness and fulfill its mission to enhance collective maritime security, protect freedom of navigation across maritime straits and waterways, and support the continuity of international trade and global supply chains.

The Cabinet reiterated its categorical rejection of repeated Iranian attacks on commercial vessels and tankers, viewing them as a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the safety and security of maritime navigation.

It also affirmed that these attacks constitute a grave violation of international laws and norms and a blatant defiance of the Security Council resolution obligating respect for commercial vessels' freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz and condemning any threats or actions obstructing it.

On bilateral relations, the Cabinet deemed establishing the Saudi-Sudanese Coordination Council an extension of both nations' commitment to institutionalized joint coordination, advancing cooperation and integration through tangible outputs, initiatives, projects, and objectives to achieve desired aspirations.

The Cabinet commended the Kingdom's successful presidency of the 16th session of the UNCCD Conference of the Parties (COP16), which launched international partnerships and initiatives to combat land degradation, desertification, and drought, enhance water and food security, support climate adaptation, and advance innovative solutions for environmental protection and sustainable development.

On World Humanitarian Day, observed on August 19, the Cabinet expressed pride in Saudi Arabia's pioneering humanitarian role and its prominent standing among the world's leading donor nations. This reflects the Kingdom's long history of generosity, proactive initiative, and providing aid, assistance, and disaster relief to countries and communities in need globally.

Domestically, as the new academic year approaches, the Cabinet reviewed the education sector's achievements, notably in improving organizational and operational efficiency, advancing educational institutions, expanding students' scientific expertise, upgrading teachers' capabilities, and providing exemplary learning environments with leading curricula and specialized programs that foster innovation and creativity—all contributing to human capital development and Saudi Vision 2030 goals.

The Cabinet also commended the Public Investment Fund's (PIF) financial performance and continued progress toward its targets, evidenced by revenue and net profit growth in 2025. This reflects PIF's ongoing drive to spur economic diversification in the Kingdom, expand domestic and international investments, and bolster key strategic sectors, including artificial intelligence, technology, energy, infrastructure, and advanced manufacturing.

The Cabinet praised government agencies' tangible progress in the 2026 Digital Experience Maturity Index, reflecting ongoing commitment to developing operations, innovating flexible and effective technological solutions, and delivering top-tier procedures and services to citizens, residents, and visitors, in line with the Kingdom's leadership and competitiveness in international rankings and indicators.