Kuwait: Durra Gas Field is Saudi-Kuwaiti in its Entirety, Iran Has No Rights over It

 A file photo of a gas plant. Reuters.
A file photo of a gas plant. Reuters.
TT

Kuwait: Durra Gas Field is Saudi-Kuwaiti in its Entirety, Iran Has No Rights over It

 A file photo of a gas plant. Reuters.
A file photo of a gas plant. Reuters.

Kuwaiti Foreign Minister Sheikh Ahmed Nasser Al-Mohammed Al Sabah said on Tuesday that Iran was not a party to Al-Durra field, which is “purely Kuwaiti-Saudi.”

Referring to statements he made during a joint press conference with visiting French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, Sheikh Ahmed said he meant “negotiations regarding the continental shelf, namely the tripartite negotiations involving Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Iran aimed at demarcating the borders of the continental shelf between the three countries.”

In a statement on Tuesday, the Kuwaiti minister underlined that Iran was not a party to Al-Durra field, which is Kuwaiti-Saudi in its entirety.

He noted that only Kuwait and Saudi Arabia enjoyed investment rights in this field in accordance with previously ratified bilateral agreements.

Last week, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait agreed to develop the Durra offshore gas field that lies in the shared neutral zone between the two nations. The agreement was signed by Kuwait’s Oil Minister Mohammad Al Fares and his Saudi counterpart Abdulaziz bin Salman Al Saud, Kuwait’s official news agency KUNA reported.

The offshore gas field is expected to produce 1 billion cubic feet per day of gas and 84,000 barrels per day of condensate.

In response, Iran said that the Saudi-Kuwaiti agreement was “illegal”, claiming that Tehran also had a share in the field and must be included in any action to operate it.

This is not the first time that the Iranian government has claimed that it owns a share in the gas field, which it calls Arash.

Iranian Petroleum Minister Javad Owji recently said that Tehran has completed comprehensive studies of Arash, “by drilling exploration wells and conducting seismic surveys”, according to local media reports.

“With the installation of a jacket, the drilling operation in the field will begin soon,” he noted.

In 2016, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait expressed, in a joint letter submitted to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, their protest against the repeated attacks and abuses by Iran’s military boats in the maritime area that is adjacent to the neutral zone.



KSrelief's Masam Project Removes 2,157 Mines Across Yemen in One Week

The Masam Project for clearing landmines in Yemen removed 2,157 mines from various areas of Yemen during the second week of August 2026. (SPA)
The Masam Project for clearing landmines in Yemen removed 2,157 mines from various areas of Yemen during the second week of August 2026. (SPA)
TT

KSrelief's Masam Project Removes 2,157 Mines Across Yemen in One Week

The Masam Project for clearing landmines in Yemen removed 2,157 mines from various areas of Yemen during the second week of August 2026. (SPA)
The Masam Project for clearing landmines in Yemen removed 2,157 mines from various areas of Yemen during the second week of August 2026. (SPA)

The Masam Project for clearing landmines in Yemen, implemented by the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), removed 2,157 mines from various areas of Yemen during the second week of August 2026, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Monday.

The clearance operations included 68 anti-tank mines, 11 anti-personnel mines, 2,075 unexploded ordnance items, and three improvised explosive devices (IEDs), contributing to efforts to make affected areas safer for local communities.

This brings the total number of mines removed since the launch of the Masam Project to 646,550. The mines had been planted indiscriminately across Yemen, posing a threat to the lives of innocent civilians, including children, women, and older people.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, through KSrelief, continues its efforts to clear mines in Yemen, enhancing civilian safety and supporting safe and dignified living conditions for the Yemeni people.


Saudi Arabia, Sudan Hold Political Consultation and Follow-Up Committee Meeting in Riyadh

Saudi Arabia and Sudan chair the Political Consultation and Follow-Up Committee in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Arabia and Sudan chair the Political Consultation and Follow-Up Committee in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia, Sudan Hold Political Consultation and Follow-Up Committee Meeting in Riyadh

Saudi Arabia and Sudan chair the Political Consultation and Follow-Up Committee in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Arabia and Sudan chair the Political Consultation and Follow-Up Committee in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah received his Sudanese counterpart Mohieldin Salem Ahmed Ibrahim in Riyadh on Monday.

The ministers co-chaired a meeting of the Political Consultation and Follow-Up Committee between their countries, during which they reviewed bilateral relations and ways to further develop and strengthen them across various fields.

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Sudanese counterpart Mohieldin Salem Ahmed Ibrahim meet in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)

They discussed the latest regional developments and exchanged views on topics of mutual interest.

They reaffirmed their commitment to advancing bilateral relations and strengthening cooperation across various fields.


Iran Considers Missing Pilots to Be Prisoners in Qatar

Qatar denied detaining the three Iranian pilots and invited Tehran “to review the details of the search and rescue operations in April, but the Iranian side has yet to respond to the invitation” (QNA).
Qatar denied detaining the three Iranian pilots and invited Tehran “to review the details of the search and rescue operations in April, but the Iranian side has yet to respond to the invitation” (QNA).
TT

Iran Considers Missing Pilots to Be Prisoners in Qatar

Qatar denied detaining the three Iranian pilots and invited Tehran “to review the details of the search and rescue operations in April, but the Iranian side has yet to respond to the invitation” (QNA).
Qatar denied detaining the three Iranian pilots and invited Tehran “to review the details of the search and rescue operations in April, but the Iranian side has yet to respond to the invitation” (QNA).

Iran's foreign ministry said on Monday it will consider three missing pilots to be prisoners in Qatar, despite Doha's denials, until it clarifies their fate.

Tehran has said the Iranians went missing while carrying out an operation against the United States' Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar on March 2, shortly after the outbreak of the Middle East war.

On Saturday, Iranian authorities alleged for the first time that the pilots had been captured in Qatar, after previously saying one pilot had been killed and three others were missing following their sortie.

"It is imperative to obtain clarification on their situation," foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei told a weekly press briefing.

"Until the pilots' situation is clarified, we consider them prisoners and will spare no effort to shed light on their fate."

Qatar denies holding the pilots and said an invitation had been sent to Iran "to be briefed on the details of the search and rescue operations in April, but the Iranian side has yet to respond".

Last month, Iran's military said it had retrieved the body of pilot Majid Kazemi, who was killed during the attack on Al Udeid, the largest US military base in the Middle East.

In early March, Qatar's defense ministry said it had shot down two Iranian Sukhoi Su-24 bombers but it was not immediately clear whether they were the same aircraft referred to by Iran.

Qatar, which took part in mediation efforts to end the fighting, came under fire after the truce broke down, reporting attacks on its territory and on at least one Qatari tanker transiting the strait.