Kuwait: Durra Gas Field is Saudi-Kuwaiti in its Entirety, Iran Has No Rights over It

 A file photo of a gas plant. Reuters.
A file photo of a gas plant. Reuters.
TT

Kuwait: Durra Gas Field is Saudi-Kuwaiti in its Entirety, Iran Has No Rights over It

 A file photo of a gas plant. Reuters.
A file photo of a gas plant. Reuters.

Kuwaiti Foreign Minister Sheikh Ahmed Nasser Al-Mohammed Al Sabah said on Tuesday that Iran was not a party to Al-Durra field, which is “purely Kuwaiti-Saudi.”

Referring to statements he made during a joint press conference with visiting French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, Sheikh Ahmed said he meant “negotiations regarding the continental shelf, namely the tripartite negotiations involving Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Iran aimed at demarcating the borders of the continental shelf between the three countries.”

In a statement on Tuesday, the Kuwaiti minister underlined that Iran was not a party to Al-Durra field, which is Kuwaiti-Saudi in its entirety.

He noted that only Kuwait and Saudi Arabia enjoyed investment rights in this field in accordance with previously ratified bilateral agreements.

Last week, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait agreed to develop the Durra offshore gas field that lies in the shared neutral zone between the two nations. The agreement was signed by Kuwait’s Oil Minister Mohammad Al Fares and his Saudi counterpart Abdulaziz bin Salman Al Saud, Kuwait’s official news agency KUNA reported.

The offshore gas field is expected to produce 1 billion cubic feet per day of gas and 84,000 barrels per day of condensate.

In response, Iran said that the Saudi-Kuwaiti agreement was “illegal”, claiming that Tehran also had a share in the field and must be included in any action to operate it.

This is not the first time that the Iranian government has claimed that it owns a share in the gas field, which it calls Arash.

Iranian Petroleum Minister Javad Owji recently said that Tehran has completed comprehensive studies of Arash, “by drilling exploration wells and conducting seismic surveys”, according to local media reports.

“With the installation of a jacket, the drilling operation in the field will begin soon,” he noted.

In 2016, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait expressed, in a joint letter submitted to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, their protest against the repeated attacks and abuses by Iran’s military boats in the maritime area that is adjacent to the neutral zone.



Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov congratulated each other on Thursday on the centenary of diplomatic relations between their countries.

Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji received, on behalf of the foreign minister, a letter from Lavrov during a meeting with Russian Ambassador to the Kingdom Sergey Kozlov in Riyadh.

The diplomats exchanged congratulations on the centenary of diplomatic relations and discussed several issues of common interest.


Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz bestowed on Thursday the King Abdulaziz Medal of Excellent Class upon former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla.

The medal was awarded at the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

The ceremony took place at the defense minister's office in Riyadh.


Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, visited the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday to perform prayers.

He received upon his arrival by President of Religious Affairs at the Grand Mosque and the Prophet's Mosque Sheikh Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sudais, Minister of Hajj and Umrah Tawfig Al-Rabiah, and a number of the mosque's imams and preachers.

Crown Prince Mohammed was accompanied by Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Salman bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, Minister of State and Cabinet Member Prince Turki bin Mohammed bin Fahd bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Riyadh Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud bin Abdulaziz, Prince Saud bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Minister of Culture Prince Bader bin Abdullah bin Farhan, and several other officials.

Earlier, in Riyadh, Crown Prince Mohammed received at the Al-Yamamah Palace Saudi Arabia's grand mufti, several princes, scholars, ministers, and a number of citizens who came to extend their congratulations on the occasion of Ramadan. 

The Crown Prince prayed to Allah Almighty to accept everyone's fasting and righteous deeds, and to bless the Kingdom with continued security, stability, and prosperity under the leadership of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.