Hamas Informs Mediators it Doesn't Want New Conflict in Gaza

Palestinian Hamas and "Islamic Jihad" supporters protest following clashes at Jerusalem's al-Aqsa Mosque compound between Israeli police and Palestinians, east of Gaza City, 15 April 2022. (EPA)
Palestinian Hamas and "Islamic Jihad" supporters protest following clashes at Jerusalem's al-Aqsa Mosque compound between Israeli police and Palestinians, east of Gaza City, 15 April 2022. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Informs Mediators it Doesn't Want New Conflict in Gaza

Palestinian Hamas and "Islamic Jihad" supporters protest following clashes at Jerusalem's al-Aqsa Mosque compound between Israeli police and Palestinians, east of Gaza City, 15 April 2022. (EPA)
Palestinian Hamas and "Islamic Jihad" supporters protest following clashes at Jerusalem's al-Aqsa Mosque compound between Israeli police and Palestinians, east of Gaza City, 15 April 2022. (EPA)

The Palestinian Hamas movement is not seeking escalation in the Gaza Strip, revealed informed sources.

Hamas held a meeting with the "Islamic Jihad" group, which was on the verge of carrying out an escalation, they told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Hamas warned the group that the political situation and time are not right for a new confrontation in the coastal enclave, which is ruled by the movement.

The time is not right for a new conflict in Gaza due to the humanitarian and economic situation in the Strip and the world's preoccupation with the Ukrainian Russian war.

The sources said Hamas officials wanted to spark a confrontation with Israel in Gaza in wake of the tensions between Palestinians and Israelis in Jerusalem to exhaust the Jewish state.

Hamas decided, however, to rein in this impulse, but it warned mediators that it could change its position if the violations at the al-Aqsa continued.

The movement cannot stand idly by as the situation unfolds in Jerusalem, it stressed, according to the sources.

The mediators have pressed Hamas against escalating the situation in Gaza, asking that the factions wait for calm to be restored in Jerusalem.

Hamas, in return, demanded that Israel halt its assault on Jerusalem and the West Bank. Israel said it does not want escalation, while blaming Palestinians for stoking tensions in Jerusalem.

Hamas on Friday said no truce agreement had been struck with Israel.

Politburo official Izzat al-Rashq stressed that the movement has always been clear in informing mediators that Jerusalem and al-Aqsa were "red lines."

He revealed that Hamas was contacted by several countries in the region and the United Nations chief, who feared the movement would resort to escalation in Gaza due to Israel's ongoing violations in Jerusalem.

The movement stressed to them that it was not seeking a new war in Gaza, but it was closely monitoring the situation and "it has its finger on the trigger".

"We are one people and if our holy sites are violated, then our people throughout the territories will carry out their duties in defending them," he remarked.

On Friday and Saturday, Hamas politburo chief Ismail Haniyeh held phone calls with Egyptian, Qatari and Omani officials and the UN to discuss the situation at the al-Aqsa.

Meanwhile, Morocco, whose King Mohammed VI chairs the Al Quds Committee under the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, voiced its strong condemnation of the Israeli raid of the compound and the attack on unarmed worshippers.

"This blatant aggression and methodical provocation during the holy month of Ramadan against the sanctity of the mosque and its place in the heart of the Islamic Ummah will only fuel feelings of hatred and extremism and destroy the chances of reviving the peace process in the region," the foreign ministry said in a statement.

Dr. Anwar Gargash, Diplomatic Adviser to the UAE President, stressed his country’s condemnation of Israeli violations in al-Aqsa.

In a tweet, he said that resorting to violence will only hamper joint efforts to reach a political solution to establish an independent Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.