Iran: Teachers Demand Fair Wages, Better Working Conditions

Picture published by the Iranian Teachers Unions Coordination Committee of the protests in Sanandaj, west Iran
Picture published by the Iranian Teachers Unions Coordination Committee of the protests in Sanandaj, west Iran
TT

Iran: Teachers Demand Fair Wages, Better Working Conditions

Picture published by the Iranian Teachers Unions Coordination Committee of the protests in Sanandaj, west Iran
Picture published by the Iranian Teachers Unions Coordination Committee of the protests in Sanandaj, west Iran

Teachers in Iran marched in several cities, including Tehran, to demand fair wages, better working conditions, and the release of their jailed colleagues.

The Iranian Teachers Unions Coordination Committee stated that teachers organized protests in front of the education departments' headquarters in about 50 Iranian cities.

The committee's spokesman, Mohammad Habibi, wrote on Twitter that the security forces had arrested 70 teachers in Tehran.

The committee said that due to the security measures in Qarni Street, the security forces prevented gatherings and arrested about 40 teachers, and transferred them to a detention center.

One of the detainees was an 80-year-old retired teacher. Later, a spokesman announced that the authorities released all 70 detained teachers.

In its statement, the Coordinating Committee demanded the immediate release of all detainees and the dismissal of the minister of education.

Earlier this week, an Iranian court convicted and sentenced Rasoul Badaghi, a member of the teachers' union, to five years in prison and banned him from residing in the capital, Tehran, or its neighboring provinces.

Badaghi was arrested last November after participating in a protest. He is among the former detainees of the Green Movement protests against electoral fraud in the 2009 presidential elections.

Badaghi was convicted in September 2009 and sentenced to six years in prison on charges of "propaganda against the regime."

The government and the parliament are facing criticism from lawmakers for their inability to curb price hikes.

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi and Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf blamed the previous government for the price hike.

Teachers chanted slogans against Ghalibaf, a former commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).

Ghalibaf is facing criticism after photos of his wife, daughter, and son-in-law showed them at Istanbul airport.

The pictures were taken after an issue between the airline crew and Ghalibaf's daughter, who insisted on passing a shipment consisting of the baby's clothing.

Ghalibaf's eldest son, Elias, wrote on his Instagram account that the trip was undoubtedly an "unforgivable wrongdoing" given the economic conditions of the people, but he denied reports that the visit was to buy baby supplies.

The IRGC's Fars news agency said that the Ghalibaf family's visit to Turkey was not to buy baby supplies, asserting that the Speaker opposed his family's travel.

The reformist "Ibtikar" newspaper published a cartoon of the Speaker, while another daily demanded Ghalibaf to submit his resignation.

The case even divided the Speaker's allies, and his media advisor criticized what he described as including the "children's mistakes in the parents' record."

A video circulated online of a televised debate between Ghalibaf and former President Hassan Rouhani during the 2017 presidential elections.

During the debate, Ghalibaf blamed Rouhani after a minister's daughter imported children's clothing from Italy.



Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.


Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)

Poland has barred Chinese-made vehicles from entering military facilities due to concerns their onboard sensors could be used to collect sensitive data, the Polish Army said on Tuesday evening.

The army said in ‌a statement ‌that such vehicles ‌may ⁠still be allowed onto ⁠secured sites if specified functions are disabled and other safeguards required under each facility's security rules are in place.

To ⁠limit the risk ‌of ‌exposing confidential information, the military has ‌also banned connecting company ‌phones to infotainment systems in vehicles manufactured in China.

The restrictions do not apply ‌to publicly accessible military locations such as hospitals, ⁠clinics, ⁠libraries, prosecutors' offices or garrison clubs, the army said.

It added that the measures are precautionary and align with practices used by NATO members and other allies to ensure high standards of protection for defense infrastructure.


Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
TT

Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)

British ‌Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke to US President Donald Trump on Tuesday night about US-mediated Russia-Ukraine peace talks in Geneva, as well as talks between the US and Iran on ‌their nuclear ‌dispute, a Downing Street ‌spokesperson ⁠said.

Starmer also discussed ⁠Gaza with Trump and stressed on the importance of securing further access for humanitarian aid, the spokesperson said.

Negotiators ⁠from Ukraine and ‌Russia ‌concluded the first of two days ‌of the US-mediated ‌peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with Trump pressing Kyiv to act fast ‌to reach a deal.

Separately, Iranian Foreign Minister ⁠Abbas ⁠Araqchi said Tehran and Washington reached an understanding on Tuesday on "guiding principles" aimed at resolving their longstanding nuclear dispute, but that did not mean a deal is imminent.