Bloody Fighting between Opposition Factions in N.Syria in Struggle for Power, Influence

Disputes have erupted between rival factions over a struggle for power and influence. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Disputes have erupted between rival factions over a struggle for power and influence. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Bloody Fighting between Opposition Factions in N.Syria in Struggle for Power, Influence

Disputes have erupted between rival factions over a struggle for power and influence. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Disputes have erupted between rival factions over a struggle for power and influence. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Internal fighting continued between different factions of the Syrian National Army, supported by Ankara, in the areas of Turkish military operations in northern Syria.

Disputes have erupted over a struggle for power and influence, and for material gains that are reaped from ports and smuggling crossings.

Activists in the countryside of Aleppo said a member was killed on Thursday in an armed clash between two groups of the Sultan Suleiman Shah Division, affiliated with the Syrian National Army, in the city center of Jindires in the countryside of Afrin, northern Aleppo. The dispute resulted in the serious injury of other militants.

On April 18, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said violent clashes, using with medium and light machine guns, erupted between two groups of the Syrian Front faction, which is affiliated with the Syrian National Army, near Al-Qabban roundabout in the center of Afrin city.

The dispute developed into violent clashes between the two parties, without reports on human casualties.

Husam al-Shihabi, a resident of the city of al-Bab in the countryside of Aleppo, said violent clashes erupted on April 2, between the Ahrar al-Sham and Al-Jabha al-Shamiya factions, near the city, located within the Euphrates Shield area.

The dispute erupted when a leader in Ahrar al-Sham refused to give up his position in the Third Legion, which is affiliated with the National Army.

The clashes led to the killing and wounding of four members of the factions, and the blocking of the roads leading to al-Bab, prompting the residents to stage a mass demonstration in the city, calling on the factions to stop the fighting and observe the sanctity of the month of Ramadan.

“About 17 members have been killed and more than 30 others wounded, since the beginning of 2022, in bloody clashes between the factions affiliated with the Syrian National Army, in the areas of the northern countryside of Aleppo (al-Bab, Afrin Jandiris, Azaz and Al-Ra’i), which caused the closure of roads and markets,” Shihabi said.



London Fashion Week Opens with Tribute to One of Its Greats

London Fashion Week will pay tribute to iconic designer Paul Costelloe who died in November, and had been a stalwart of the British captial's catwalks since the show was launched in 1984. Niklas HALLE'N / AFP/File
London Fashion Week will pay tribute to iconic designer Paul Costelloe who died in November, and had been a stalwart of the British captial's catwalks since the show was launched in 1984. Niklas HALLE'N / AFP/File
TT

London Fashion Week Opens with Tribute to One of Its Greats

London Fashion Week will pay tribute to iconic designer Paul Costelloe who died in November, and had been a stalwart of the British captial's catwalks since the show was launched in 1984. Niklas HALLE'N / AFP/File
London Fashion Week will pay tribute to iconic designer Paul Costelloe who died in November, and had been a stalwart of the British captial's catwalks since the show was launched in 1984. Niklas HALLE'N / AFP/File

London Fashion Week, better known for nurturing new talent than for its big-name shows, kicks off on Thursday with a tribute to one of its stalwarts Paul Costelloe.

The Irish-American designer, who died aged 80 last November, was a regular fixture on the opening day of the British capital's fashion week since the inception of the show in 1984, AFP said.

Over four decades, his romantic, sartorial catwalks remained a constant: witness to the rise and fall of London Fashion Week (LFW) which has seen the departure of big fashion names to its counterparts in Milan, Paris and New York in recent years.

His son William Costelloe is now the creative director of the brand, which wrote on social media ahead of its LFW Autumn/Winter 2026 opening show: "A new season. A powerful moment. A legacy moving forward."

Tolu Coker, a British-Nigerian designer who launched her brand in 2018, will also show on Thursday her elegant, mainly-unisex designs inspired by diverse identities.

Notable names including Harris Reed and Richard Quinn will return to the catwalk in London, with Burberry closing the week in its usual fashion on Monday evening.

Other labels will bring a royal flavor to the runway, with brands worn by Princess Catherine including Emilia Wickstead, Edeline Lee and Erdem putting on shows.

However, there will be no show from the breakout Northern Irish designer Jonathan Anderson, who was one of the most eagerly awaited at London Fashion Week in recent seasons.

The 41-year-old took over at Dior last June, leaving him little time for his own brand, JW Anderson, which he founded in 2008.

For several years, London has been losing ground to its star-studded rivals in Paris and Milan, but it has clung onto its role as a breeding ground for young talent.

The British Fashion Council's NewGen initiative provides funding for emerging talent, with several up-and-coming designers finding their stride at LFW through the incubator.

'Great support'

Designers like Simone Rocha, Tolu Coker and Roksanda have become fashion week mainstays after making their debut on the NewGen catwalk.

Among the recent breakouts is Joshua Ewusie, a 27-year-old British creator born to Ghanaian parents who is due to put on his second fashion week show with his brand "E.W.Usie".

The young designer was supported by the King's Foundation, a charity founded by King Charles III, in partnership with Chanel, which gave him a studio space shortly after he graduated from the prestigious Central Saint Martins school.

His hometown London, which boasts several notable fashion schools, provides "great support for young designers," Ewusie told AFP ahead of his LFW presentation on Sunday.

"There's so many opportunities, I think, that London gives to help young brands start," he added.

His new collection is inspired by the 1980s, when his mother moved to London, says the designer. It's all about culture and identity, with leather as the star material.

French designer Pauline Dujancourt, known for her work with knitwear, also chose to stick with London Fashion Week after her studies at Paris's Ecole Duperre and Central Saint Martins in London.

"As much as Paris Fashion Week is incredible and I'm dreaming to be part of it one day, maybe there's a bit more room for younger brands in London at the start," said the 31-year-old designer, who will show her collection on Sunday.

"I think people have come to London Fashion Week expecting to see a bit of newness and younger generations as opposed to Paris and Milan, where it's more like established houses."


Online Seller eBay to Buy Secondhand Fashion Marketplace Depop from Etsy for $1.2B in Cash

FILE PHOTO: Ebay logo is seen in this illustration taken February 11, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Ebay logo is seen in this illustration taken February 11, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Online Seller eBay to Buy Secondhand Fashion Marketplace Depop from Etsy for $1.2B in Cash

FILE PHOTO: Ebay logo is seen in this illustration taken February 11, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Ebay logo is seen in this illustration taken February 11, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Online seller eBay wants a bigger share of the Gen Z market.

The online seller has agreed to purchase secondhand fashion marketplace Depop from Etsy for about $1.2 billion in cash, the companies said Wednesday, according to The Associated Press.

The deal comes at a time when used clothing has become increasingly popular, sought out by shoppers searching for unique items that cost less than new ones and keep the old stuff from heading to the landfill.

In a statement, eBay's CEO Jamie Ianonne said that the acquisition is an opportunity to capture a younger demographic.

"We are confident that as part of eBay, Depop will be even more well-positioned for long-term growth, benefiting from our scale, complementary offerings, and operational capabilities,” Ianonne said.

As of Dec. 31, 2025, Depop's marketplace had 7 million active buyers, nearly 90% of which are under the age of 34, and more than 3 million active sellers, the joint release said.

The deal comes five years after Etsy bought Depop for $1.6 billion. The app was founded in 2011.

EBay, based in San Jose, California, said it intends to pay cash. Etsy, based in Brooklyn, New York, plans to utilize the proceeds for general corporate purposes, continued share repurchases and investment in its core marketplace, according to the release.

The transaction, which has been unanimously approved by eBay’s and Etsy’s boards, is currently expected to close in the second quarter, the companies said.

Depop is expected to retain its name, brand, platform, and its culture, the companies said.

EBay's shares rose more than 7%, while Etsy's share soared close to 15% in after-hours trading when the news was announced.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.