Hundreds Gathering in Damascus Await Prisoners Freed in Amnesty

Syrians wait at the President's Bridge in Damascus for relatives they hope would be among those released from prison on Tuesday, May 3, 2022, on the second day of the Fitr holiday. (AP Photo/Omar Sanadiki)
Syrians wait at the President's Bridge in Damascus for relatives they hope would be among those released from prison on Tuesday, May 3, 2022, on the second day of the Fitr holiday. (AP Photo/Omar Sanadiki)
TT

Hundreds Gathering in Damascus Await Prisoners Freed in Amnesty

Syrians wait at the President's Bridge in Damascus for relatives they hope would be among those released from prison on Tuesday, May 3, 2022, on the second day of the Fitr holiday. (AP Photo/Omar Sanadiki)
Syrians wait at the President's Bridge in Damascus for relatives they hope would be among those released from prison on Tuesday, May 3, 2022, on the second day of the Fitr holiday. (AP Photo/Omar Sanadiki)

Families of prisoners held for years in Syrian jails are closely watching the implementation of the presidential decree giving a general amnesty to people convicted on terrorism charges. The amnesty excludes acts that have led to killings.

Families from the Syrian opposition are weary that the exclusion could mean that some of the detainees were put on death row.

Relatives assembled in the “President's Bridge” area, awaiting the arrival of buses carrying people who have been held for years in Syria’s infamous prisons, many for participating in the 2011 protests against President Bashar al-Assad.

Other families have gathered since Monday in Sednaya, north of Damascus, which is home to Syria's largest and most notorious military prison.

Those released are transported on buses to the above mentioned areas and left there without money to enable them to return to their original areas of residence.

Locals told Asharq Al-Awsat that public taxi and bus drivers have volunteered to transport some of the released detainees to their neighborhoods for free.

“Where will the released persons, who have no relatives left in the regime-controlled areas, go?” wondered some locals.

Facebook pages also published footage of crowds of detainees' families gathered under the "President's Bridge", waiting for their released relatives. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights confirmed that a large part of those who were released suffer from amnesia.

The Britain-based war monitor also revealed it documented the release of 240 detainees, with the justice ministry promising more will be freed in coming days.

Human rights activists described the number of those released so far as “very small.”

“Since the outbreak of the revolution more than 11 years ago, tens of thousands have been arrested, and therefore the number of those released is considered insignificant,” one activist told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The Observatory reported that security services had informed members of the ruling Baath Party that many other detainees will be freed in the coming hours. They pointed out that under the amnesty decree, “tens of thousands of detainees imprisoned in the regime's prisons will be released.”

The father of one of the detainees told Asharq Al-Awsat that his son has not yet been set free.

“They arrested him in 2012 because he participated in demonstrations, and all we know is that he is in Sednaya prison, and the last information we received was in 2015 that he was still alive at the time,” the father explained.

“His mother and I live in hope of us seeing him alive again, but we asked a number of those who are out now about him, but no one knew anything...we fear that they killed him,” he added.

“I've been expecting my five children and my husband since 2014,” Umm Maher told AFP.

“The oldest is 25 and the youngest 15. We have nothing to do with terrorism,” she added, referring to what many say is a blanket charge often used to detain civilians.

Like Umm Maher, Umm Abdo was waiting for her two sons, who disappeared in 2013.

“I hope they come back,” she said. “I told my neighbor that she should hold me if I see them, because I might faint. I don't even know if I will recognize them.”

On Saturday, Assad issued a decree giving a general amnesty to people convicted on terrorism charges before April 30, 2022. However, the amnesty excludes those who committed acts that led to killings.

Experts with the terminology used by the regime in such decrees told Asharq Al-Awsat that some of those charged with a “terrorist crime that led to the death of a human being,” which the decree excluded from the amnesty, “may have been executed.”

“This is the first time in years that prisoners have been released from Sednaya prison,” Muhammad al-Abdullah, director of the Syrian Center for Justice and Accountability, told AFP.

According to Amnesty International, as many as 13,000 people have been hanged to death in Sednaya between September 2011 and December 2015.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.