Bale Bids Farewell to Madrid, Says He Fulfilled His Dream

Football - Champions League Final - Liverpool vs. Real Madrid - Stade de France, Saint-Denis near Paris, France - May 28, 2022 Real Madrid's Gareth Bale walks past the trophy after winning the Champions League. (Reuters)
Football - Champions League Final - Liverpool vs. Real Madrid - Stade de France, Saint-Denis near Paris, France - May 28, 2022 Real Madrid's Gareth Bale walks past the trophy after winning the Champions League. (Reuters)
TT

Bale Bids Farewell to Madrid, Says He Fulfilled His Dream

Football - Champions League Final - Liverpool vs. Real Madrid - Stade de France, Saint-Denis near Paris, France - May 28, 2022 Real Madrid's Gareth Bale walks past the trophy after winning the Champions League. (Reuters)
Football - Champions League Final - Liverpool vs. Real Madrid - Stade de France, Saint-Denis near Paris, France - May 28, 2022 Real Madrid's Gareth Bale walks past the trophy after winning the Champions League. (Reuters)

Gareth Bale confirmed Wednesday that he is leaving Real Madrid, saying he was happy to have fulfilled his dream of playing with the Spanish powerhouse.

The 32-year-old Bale, whose contract expires at the end of this month, joined Madrid from Tottenham in 2013. He played on loan with the English club in 2020-21.

"I arrived here nine years ago as a young man who wanted to realize my dream of playing for Real Madrid. To wear the pristine white kit, to wear the crest on my chest, to play at the Santiago Bernabéu, to win titles and to be part of what it’s so famous for, to win the Champions League. I can now look back, reflect and say with honesty that this dream became a reality and much, much more," he said in a letter posted on Twitter.

"To be a part of this club’s history and to achieve what we achieved while I was a Real Madrid player, has been an incredible experience and one I will never forget," the Wales forward said.

He helped Madrid win 19 titles, including five European trophies, scoring in the 2014 and 2018 Champions League finals. He also helped the club lift four Club World Cup trophies and win three Spanish league titles.

"Real Madrid would like to express its sincere gratitude and affection to Gareth Bale, a player who will forever be part of the club’s legacy," the club said. "Real Madrid is and always will be his home, and we would like to wish him and all his family the best of luck for the future."

Bale, whose next move remains unknown, had an old feud with Madrid fans but was thankful to everyone at the club in his farewell letter.

"I write this message to say thank you to all my teammates, past and present, my managers, the back room staff and to the fans that supported me," he said.

Bale was booed the few times he got to play this season, and was even jeered by some during the team's title celebrations after it won the Champions League a record-extending 14th time last week. He has long been at odds with Madrid fans who felt he didn't make the club a priority and instead focused on Wales’ national team.

Fans and Spanish media said Bale failed to consistently perform to his potential since joining for a then-world record fee of 100 million euros (now $107 million).

Earlier this year, Bale spoke out against the psychological harm that professional athletes can receive from the media after a leading Spanish sports daily published a column entitled "The Welsh Parasite." Bale accused the media of "encouraging anger and disappointment in fans."

This season, he made only seven appearances and scored one goal for the club.

"Together we were able to create some moments that will live forever in the history of this club and football," Bale said. "It has been an honor."



Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.


Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.