Tchouaméni Says He Picked Madrid despite Talk with Mbappé

French midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni addresses a press conference during his official presentation as new player of Real Madrid CF at the Ciudad Real Madrid in Valdebebas, on the outskirts of Madrid, on June 14, 2022. (AFP)
French midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni addresses a press conference during his official presentation as new player of Real Madrid CF at the Ciudad Real Madrid in Valdebebas, on the outskirts of Madrid, on June 14, 2022. (AFP)
TT

Tchouaméni Says He Picked Madrid despite Talk with Mbappé

French midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni addresses a press conference during his official presentation as new player of Real Madrid CF at the Ciudad Real Madrid in Valdebebas, on the outskirts of Madrid, on June 14, 2022. (AFP)
French midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni addresses a press conference during his official presentation as new player of Real Madrid CF at the Ciudad Real Madrid in Valdebebas, on the outskirts of Madrid, on June 14, 2022. (AFP)

Aurélien Tchouaméni said nothing steered him away from fulfilling his dream of playing for Real Madrid. Not even a chat with Kylian Mbappé.

The promising France midfielder made his move to Madrid official on Tuesday, saying he had no doubts about where he wanted to play despite having offers from other clubs and discussing a possible transfer to Paris Saint-Germain with Mbappé, who recently decided to stay with the French club after showing interest in playing for Madrid.

"Kylian stayed with PSG and he knew I was leaving Monaco, so he wanted to know if I could go to PSG," Tchouaméni said as he was officially introduced by Madrid. "But I told him that my first option was always Real Madrid and he understood it perfectly."

The 22-year-old Tchouaméni signed a six-year contract with Madrid. He joined from Monaco on a reported fee of up to 100 million euros ($104 million), including variables.

Tchouaméni did not say which other clubs made offers. He said he was just waiting for Madrid's call.

"The moment Madrid called I told my agent and the club to find the best deal for everyone," he said. "I didn't doubt it for a second. It was my dream. I want to leave my mark in soccer and Madrid is the best club where I can do that."

Mbappé, Tchouaméni's teammate on the French national team, upset Madrid and its fans after backing down from a free-agent move to the Spanish club this season. PSG had already turned down an offer from Madrid last year.

Tchouaméni made his first statements speaking well in Spanish, saying he was happy to be joining "the best club in the world" and to have a chance to help it win more titles.

He said he is inspired by American basketball greats Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan, because "they always gave their maximum to be able to play at a high level," and said he will contribute with good field vision, passing, physical strength and ability to regain possession.

Tchouaméni is the latest French addition to refresh Madrid's aging midfield currently led by 36-year-old Luka Modric, 32-year-old Toni Kroos and 30-year-old Casemiro.

Madrid last year brought in 19-year-old Frenchman Eduardo Camavinga from Rennes, who impressed playing off the bench throughout the season.

The club recently gave Modric a one-year contract extension until June 2023. Kroos' contract also is good until the end of next season, while Casemiro's deal is valid until 2025. The trio helped Madrid win five Champions League titles in the last nine seasons, including this year against Liverpool.

"Madrid and its fans always want more, and our focus now is already on winning a 15th European title," Madrid club president Florentino Pérez. "We have a great squad but we know we have a big challenge ahead and we need to add players who are talented and eager to win, so today we bring a magnificent player who will help us keep improving."

Pérez thanked Tchouaméni for having "chosen Madrid instead of other clubs."

Another young midfielder in the squad is 23-year-old Federico Valverde, the Uruguay international who has been with the senior team since 2018.

Tchouaméni has played with Monaco since January 2020 after joining from Bordeaux.

The other Frenchmen in Madrid's squad are left back Ferland Mendy and striker Karim Benzema, the team's best player this season as the club also won the Spanish league and the Spanish Super Cup.

Tchouaméni will be wearing the No. 18, which was Gareth Bale's number until the Wales international left at the end of the season.

Other players leaving the squad include Francisco Isco and veteran Brazilian defender Marcelo, who played 16 seasons and is the player with most titles ever with the club, 25.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.