Asharq Al-awsat English https://aawsat.com/english Middle-east and International News and Opinion from Asharq Al-awsat Newspaper http://feedly.com/icon.svg

Houthis Reject UN Proposal to Reopen Routes to Yemen's Taiz

Houthis Reject UN Proposal to Reopen Routes to Yemen's Taiz

Friday, 24 June, 2022 - 05:30
UN special envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg (C) speaks to his aides upon his arrival at Sanaa Airport, in Sanaa, Yemen, 08 June 2022. (EPA)

The Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen have rejected a proposal by United Nations envoy Hans Grundberg regarding the reopening of routes leading to the besieged Taiz province, revealed a source to Asharq Al-Awsat.


In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, the source said the Houthis have turned down the proposal that was recently made by the envoy, which may have negative repercussions on the ongoing nationwide truce.


Grundberg relayed the Houthi reply to the legitimate government on Thursday, it added on condition of anonymity.


The UN had proposed reopening three roads suggested by the Houthis, one proposed by the government, and another between the governorates of Dhale and Ibb.


Teams from the legitimate government and Houthis had met in the Jordanian capital Amman for two rounds of UN-sponsored negotiations on the reopening of roads in Taiz.


Grundberg had flown to Houthi-held Sanaa to receive their reply to the proposal, which was ultimately met with rejection.


The source said the development “returns us to square one”.


The government team is now working on a reply to the Houthi rejection, he revealed.


A Yemeni official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the rejection “will have consequences”.


He predicted a “strong response” from Grundberg and a blunt statement that clearly names the parties hindering peace.


The government team earlier this week warned that the Houthis would attempt to undermine the truce by failing to implement any of their commitments, the same as they did with the former ceasefire.


Editor Picks

Multimedia