Iraq to Resume Mediation between Saudi Arabia, Iran ahead of Jeddah Summit

A handout picture released by the Saudi Royal Palace on June 26, 2022, shows Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (R), receiving Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, in the Saudi city of Jeddah. (Saudi Royal Palace)
A handout picture released by the Saudi Royal Palace on June 26, 2022, shows Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (R), receiving Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, in the Saudi city of Jeddah. (Saudi Royal Palace)
TT

Iraq to Resume Mediation between Saudi Arabia, Iran ahead of Jeddah Summit

A handout picture released by the Saudi Royal Palace on June 26, 2022, shows Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (R), receiving Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, in the Saudi city of Jeddah. (Saudi Royal Palace)
A handout picture released by the Saudi Royal Palace on June 26, 2022, shows Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (R), receiving Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, in the Saudi city of Jeddah. (Saudi Royal Palace)

Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi will resume his mediation between Saudi Arabia and Iran before the Gulf-Arab-American summit in Jeddah later this month, revealed an informed Iraqi source on Sunday.

The declaration of the restoration of relations between Saudi Arabia and Iran is expected to be announced in Baghdad, it told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The declaration will be made in the presence of Saudi and Iranian officials, Kadhimi and Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein, it added, without specifying if the announcement will be made before the Jeddah summit. The ties were severed in 2016.

Moreover, the source remarked that Kadhimi had made progress over several pending files between Saudi Arabia and Iran during his visits to Jeddah and Tehran last week.

This will help ease overall tensions in the region, he stressed.

Asked if Saudi officials will visit Baghdad before the Jeddah summit, the source said such a trip requires arrangements between Riyadh, Baghdad and Tehran.

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian had announced from Damascus on Sunday that Tehran welcomes the restoration of relations with Riyadh, the reopening of embassies and the launch of political dialogue.

On reports that talks between Egypt, Jordan and Iran would be held in Baghdad, he said there are no direct negotiations with Egypt over restoring ties at the moment.

Efforts are underway however, to set them back on the right path as part of the joint cooperation between the two countries, he added.

Amirabdollahian made his remarks days after Iraqi FM Hussein revealed for the first time that Baghdad was sponsoring dialogue between Iran and Jordan, and Iran and Egypt.

Meanwhile, aide to Kadhimi, Dr. Hussein Allawi told Asharq Al-Awsat that the PM’s efforts aim to establish a period of regional stability, peace, cooperation and development.

Kadhimi kicked off the mediation in April 2021 and, in spite of the crises and media tensions, he has succeeded in holding four other rounds of dialogue between Saudi Arabia and Iran, Allawi went on to say.

"We can say that Iraq has managed in shifting Saudi-Iranian ties towards a period of understanding and the exchange of views over several regional issues,” he said.

They have set the path towards solutions and strategic initiatives to issues at hand, he added.

“Iraq is keen on establishing stability in the region because it is approaching economic changes through major projects tackling transportation, energy, electricity, food security, water shortages and climate change,” he continued.

The success of these projects demands constant partnership and cooperation between the countries of the region, he explained.



Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
TT

Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei stressed that Hajj pilgrims from his country have been registered regardless of their political and sectarian affiliations.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he added that his ministry was dealing with pilgrims from Houthi-held regions as Yemeni citizens and they are offered the same facilitations and services like all other citizens.

The ministry applies justice and equality away from political, partisan, and sectarian slogans, he declared. “Hajj is about worship, not slogans,” said the minister.

The ministry hopes that all pilgrims will be able to perform the Hajj smoothly and at ease, and that they return home safely.

Al-Wadaei revealed that 21,098 Yemeni’s have been registered to perform this year’s Hajj.

Moreover, he praised the facilitations that were offered to Yemeni pilgrims and the warm welcome they were accorded in Saudi Arabia.

He noted that their entry to the Kingdom, whether by land or air, was smooth, reflecting the facilitations offered by local authorities.

He hoped that God Almighty will bless the Kingdom, its leadership and people for the efforts they have invested in making the Hajj a smooth journey.

The Yemeni pilgrims have hailed the smooth measures and warm welcome from the moment they arrived in the Kingdom, saying the services have eased the burdens of travel and demonstrated Saudi generosity and hospitality.

The integrated and advanced border services and procedures have ensured that pilgrims from Yemen are registered in a short time and in an organized manner.

Upon their arrival at the Wadiah border crossing, the Yemeni pilgrims are welcomed with a variety of services, such as guidance, warm meals, cold and hot beverages, and souvenir gifts of their journey.


Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)

The Saudi leadership extended condolences to Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and to Crown Prince of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah, over the passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al-Malik Al-Sabah, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Saturday.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud sent separate cables extending deepest condolences and sincere sympathy to the Kuwaiti Emir, the Crown Prince and the family of the deceased.


Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
TT

Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia, participated in a joint phone call on Saturday with the US President and several leaders of Arab and Islamic countries, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Sunday.

The phone conversation included US President Donald Trump, King of Bahrain Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, President of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, King of Jordan Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein, President of Egypt Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, and Chief of Army Staff of Pakistan Field Marshal Asim Munir.

During the call, the leaders reviewed the latest regional developments, expressing deep appreciation for President Trump's leadership and his commitment to consultation and coordination with regional leaders.

They also acknowledged the mediation efforts led by Pakistan and the endeavors of the State of Qatar, which are aimed at reaching an agreement to halt escalation and bolster regional security and stability.