Turkey Convicts 14 Accused of Killing Iranian Dissident

Masoud Molavi-Vardanjani
Masoud Molavi-Vardanjani
TT

Turkey Convicts 14 Accused of Killing Iranian Dissident

Masoud Molavi-Vardanjani
Masoud Molavi-Vardanjani

A Turkish court handed down jail sentences to 14 accused of assassinating Iranian dissident Masoud Molavi-Vardanjani in Istanbul.

Abdul Wahab Kocak, the main suspect, was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of Molavi -Vardanjani, who was shot dead in November 2019 in Sisli in Istanbul.

Molavi-Vardanjani had a telegram channel called "Black Box," which criticized the Iranian regime and the Revolutionary Guards. He repeatedly accused the judiciary and security forces of financial corruption and assassination of opposition figures by publishing documents.

Kocak was among 14 defendants who were sentenced in the case. Three others were sentenced to 15 years, 12 years, and six months, respectively.

Two of the three convicts, still in detention, were accused of providing and transporting weapons for the assassination, while the third was convicted of providing a hideout for the killer. He was released on condition of judicial supervision.

A fifth defendant was given a 30-month suspended prison sentence, while the rest of the defendants were acquitted.

Before he was killed, Molavi-Vardanjani wrote: "God willing, I will root out these corrupt mafia leaders...Pray that they don't kill me before I accomplish that."

Molavi-Vardanjani worked for a decade as a consultant and director of a data security company in Isfahan before starting his work as a military consultant specializing in artificial intelligence.

The Turkish authorities watched 320 hours of CCTV footage on the streets, and the security forces searched 49 locations and interrogated 185 people about the assassination.

Pictures published by the Turkish media after the assassination showed Molavi-Vardanjani walking with a friend towards Sisli at night on November 14, 2019, when a gunman opened fire on them.

Security sources confirmed that the person with Molavi-Vardanjani came with him to Turkey in June 2018. He made friends and leaked information about the victim to Iranian intelligence. The police report identified him as Ali Esfanjani.

The sources said that Esfanjani visited the Iranian consulate the day before the assassination and met the defendants to discuss the details of the operation.

The police report identified Esfanjani as the mastermind behind the plot to kill Molavi-Vardanjani. He was transported to the other side of the Turkish-Iranian border by an Iranian smuggler three days after the assassination.

Last February, the Turkish police arrested 16 members of a group linked to the Iranian security services, which is in charge of kidnapping Iranian dissidents and handing them over to the authorities in Tehran.

Turkish media also published, in mid-February last year, a video clip circulated by Iranian media showing the arrest of Mohammad Reza Naserzadeh on charges of involvement in the assassination of Molavi-Vardanjani.

Turkish sources said that the Turkish and Iranian suspects, who were arrested after the killing, admitted they acted on the orders of two intelligence officers at the Iranian consulate in Istanbul.

A Turkish official said the suspects' statements revealed they had received assassination orders from Iranians with diplomatic passports.

He indicated that the evidence and witness statements confirmed that these two people were intelligence officers who played a role in inciting and coordinating the assassination.



Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
TT

Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he is pleased to see steps taken in neighbouring Syria to integrate the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) into state structures, after a US-backed ceasefire deal late last month between the sides.

In a readout on Wednesday of his comments to reporters on a return flight from Ethiopia, Erdogan was cited as saying Ankara is closely monitoring the Syrian integration steps and providing guidance on implementing the agreement.

Meanwhile, a Turkish parliamentary commission voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve a report envisaging legal reforms alongside the militant Kurdistan Workers Party's (PKK) disarmament, advancing a peace process meant to end decades of conflict.

The PKK - designated a terrorist organization by Türkiye, the United States and European Union - halted attacks last year and said it would disarm and disband, calling on Ankara to take steps to let its members participate in politics.

The roughly 60-page report proposes a roadmap for the parliament to enact laws, including a conditional legal framework that urges the judiciary to review legislation and comply with European Court of Human Rights and Constitutional Court rulings.

The pro-Kurdish DEM Party, which has been closely involved in the process and held several meetings with PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan in prison, objected to the report's presentation of the Kurdish issue as a terrorism problem but generally welcomed the report and called for rapid implementation.

“We believe legal regulations must be enacted quickly,” senior DEM lawmaker Gulistan Kilic Kocyigit told Reuters. Parts of the report offered “a very important roadmap for the advancement of this process," she said.

Erdogan signaled that the legislative process would begin straight away. “Now, discussions will begin in our parliament regarding the legal aspects of the process,” he said.


Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.