Hezbollah Continues to Escalate Rhetoric in Maritime Border Demarcation

This grab from a video made available by the media office of Hezbollah on July 3, 2022 reportedly shows footage from a drone showing an Energean Floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) in the Karish field, an offshore gas field in the Mediterranean sea, which is claimed by Israel and partly claimed by Lebanon. (AFP/Hezbollah media office)
This grab from a video made available by the media office of Hezbollah on July 3, 2022 reportedly shows footage from a drone showing an Energean Floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) in the Karish field, an offshore gas field in the Mediterranean sea, which is claimed by Israel and partly claimed by Lebanon. (AFP/Hezbollah media office)
TT

Hezbollah Continues to Escalate Rhetoric in Maritime Border Demarcation

This grab from a video made available by the media office of Hezbollah on July 3, 2022 reportedly shows footage from a drone showing an Energean Floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) in the Karish field, an offshore gas field in the Mediterranean sea, which is claimed by Israel and partly claimed by Lebanon. (AFP/Hezbollah media office)
This grab from a video made available by the media office of Hezbollah on July 3, 2022 reportedly shows footage from a drone showing an Energean Floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) in the Karish field, an offshore gas field in the Mediterranean sea, which is claimed by Israel and partly claimed by Lebanon. (AFP/Hezbollah media office)

Hezbollah continued to escalate its rhetoric in Lebanon's maritime border demarcation negotiations with Israel.

The Iran-backed party again justified its firing of drones towards Israel’s offshore Karish gas field earlier this month.

Hezbollah central council member Sheikh Nabil Qaouq justified the attack, saying the party helped restore momentum to the negotiations and boosted Lebanon’s negotiating position.

“The resistance [Hezbollah] is Lebanon’s strategic treasure and shield,” he added.

“It carried out its duties to serve the Lebanese people and preserve their dignity and wealth,” he remarked.

“The message of the drones took place at the right time and place and its impact was immediate. It was a completely national message and Lebanese in its goals. The message is not tied to the Iranian nuclear negotiations or American visits,” he added.

Hezbollah MP Hassan Fadlallah said on Saturday that the party is now in a position of strength and it believes it is concerned in protecting all of Lebanon’s wealth.

He accused Israel of maneuvering in the negotiations through a dishonest American mediator.

The maritime border dispute between Lebanon and Israel returned to the fore last month after Israel moved a production vessel into Karish, parts of which are claimed by Lebanon.

The move forced the Lebanese government to call for the resumption of US-mediated negotiations that had hit a wall last year over demarcation disputes.

Hezbollah for its part threatened Israel and the company that owns the production vessel against proceeding with extraction, saying it was ready to stand in the way.

Lebanon is now waiting for a response from Israel after relaying its maritime border position to US mediator Amos Hochstein who visited Beirut last month at the request of authorities.

Hezbollah’s firing of drones drew criticism from Lebanese caretaker Foreign Minister Abdullah Bou Habib.

“Any act that falls outside the framework of the state's responsibility and the diplomatic track within which negotiations are taking place, is unacceptable and exposes (Lebanon) to unnecessary risks,” he said after meeting caretaker Prime Minister, Najib Mikati.

Bou Habib on Monday called on “all parties to show a spirit of supreme national interest and commit to... supporting the state in the negotiation process,” in a veiled message to Hezbollah.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.