US Says It is Now Up to Iran to Take the Deal or Reject It

NSC Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby at a press briefing in the White House (AP)
NSC Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby at a press briefing in the White House (AP)
TT

US Says It is Now Up to Iran to Take the Deal or Reject It

NSC Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby at a press briefing in the White House (AP)
NSC Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby at a press briefing in the White House (AP)

Negotiations aimed at reviving the nuclear agreement have been completed, and it is now up to Iran to decide whether they're going to take that deal or not, announced a US official.

NSC Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby stressed that the US administration remains committed to seeing Iran never achieve a nuclear weapons capability, reiterating the White House's position that diplomacy is the best path forward to see that outcome.

Speaking at a press briefing, Kirby said that President Joe Biden has an obligation to "make sure if he can look after our national security interests in the region, make sure that we have the capability and the capacity to do that — to defend ourselves and to help defend our allies and partners against the range of other Iranian threatening behavior: their burgeoning ballistic missile capability, which continues to improve; their support for terrorist groups; their threats in the maritime environment."

Reuters quoted a French presidency official saying there is still time to save the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, but the ball remains in Tehran's court.

EU foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, announced Tuesday that he proposed a new draft text to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, saying there is no room left for further significant compromises.

Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian told Borrell over the phone that Iran "welcomes the continuation of diplomacy and negotiations."

Abdollahian reiterated that if the US moves realistically toward finding a solution and reaching a deal, a good agreement will be at hand for all parties,

Revival of the agreement seemed imminent last March, but the talks stalled due to last-minute Russian and Iranian demands to remove the Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) from a US list of foreign terrorist organizations.

Washington says Tehran added demands unrelated to the discussions about its nuclear program and has made worrying progress in its uranium enrichment program.

The US administration made clear that it has no plans to remove the IRGC from the list, a move that will likely have limited impact, but it will anger a lot of US lawmakers.

Western officials say that the longer Iran delays reviving the deal and continues to produce enriched uranium, the more difficult it will be to restore the deal to curb nuclear proliferation.

EU's attempt at "proximity talks" failed last month in Doha, Qatar.

Axios news website reported that the White House Middle East coordinator, Brett McGurk, believes it is "highly unlikely" to revive the 2015 nuclear agreement soon.

The website quoted three sources as saying that McGurk told a group of think tank experts "that the reason there is no nuclear deal is that the Iranians are unable to make a decision."

According to Axios, McGurk said his theory is that Iran wants the US "to add something to the pot" to help those who want a deal in the internal debate with Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, but "we are not going to do that."

McGurk said the Biden administration intends to use sanctions and diplomatic isolation against Iran, "but not needlessly escalate the situation," and use force only as a last resort, according to the three sources.

He said the divergence of views with Israel isn't about the issue of a possible military strike but about whether the US should still try to revive the 2015 nuclear deal or shift to pushing for a "longer and stronger" deal.

Meanwhile, the US special envoy to Iran, Robert Malley, discussed with Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi, diplomatic efforts to revive the nuclear agreement, according to the Omani Foreign Ministry.

The Ministry said in a tweet that the two officials discussed various issues in common and the efforts to resume the nuclear agreement.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.