Sealed Court Transcripts of Kafr Qasim Massacre Trial Revealed after 66 Years

Image of  Kafr Qasim
Image of Kafr Qasim
TT

Sealed Court Transcripts of Kafr Qasim Massacre Trial Revealed after 66 Years

Image of  Kafr Qasim
Image of Kafr Qasim

Declassified documents revealed new details on the planned murder of Palestinian civilians during the Kafr Qasem massacre, when an Israeli commander advised troops that “it was desirable for there to be a number of fatalities,” aiming to push the citizens to leave for the Jordanian side of the border.

During a court session that took place several months after the massacre, one of the judges asked Officer Chaim Levy if what he heard was: “It is preferable to have deaths, or that there may be deaths?”
According to the trial transcripts of Chaim Levy, who commanded the Israeli army in Kafr Qasim, the troops knew their victims were unarmed civilians who had not been informed about the curfew.

He asserted: “Neither this nor that. The commander clearly said “it is desirable.”

Defense attorney Asher Yitzhak interrupted asking if the commander said not to kill, Levy replied that there was no difference between the two commands.

Kafr Qasim massacre took place in October 1956 when Israeli police killed dozens of Arab citizens on their way back home during a sudden curfew of which they were unaware.

Kafr Qasim is situated on the West Bank border and falls under the authority of Jordan. A curfew was imposed while farmers were working on their lands, a few kilometers away. When they reached the village, among whom were men, women and children, the Israeli forces shot them indiscriminately, killing 49 people, including eight women, a pregnant woman, and 18 children between the ages of 8 and 17 years.

A division of 11 soldiers of the Border Police opened fire, supervised by commander Issachar Shadmi. The orders were clear: “a strict curfew, not by arresting violators, but by shooting.”

The Israeli government, led by David Ben-Gurion, tried to hide the incident, but news of the massacre began to break.

Three weeks later, Arab Knesset member Youssef Khamis revealed preliminary details of the massacre in front of two KM from the Communist Party, who immediately visited Kafr Qasim to break the siege imposed on the area, and the soldiers assaulted them. But they managed to infiltrate through rough roads, and recounted what they saw to the public through word of mouth because of a gag order issued by Israeli army.

Arab citizens and their national leaders, along with a number of the forces of the communist left and the radical Zionist left demanded an investigation.

The government was forced to form a commission of inquiry. The committee reached a decision to transfer the commander of the unit and ten soldiers to court-martial.

The trial took place behind closed doors for nearly two years.

On October 16, 1958, the court issued various prison sentences against the soldiers involved ranging between 17 years to nine years in prison.

The chief of staff then reduced some of the sentences, and later a committee for the release of prisoners ordered a reduction of one-third of the term of each of the convicts. Thus, the last of them was released in early 1960.

Shadmi was brought to trial alone in early 1959, and his punishment was simple reprimand and a fine of one Israeli piaster.

Since then, the Israeli government has imposed a complete blackout on the protocols, and prevented their opening, claiming they contain “sensitive information that jeopardize state security.”

The documents were revealed after an appeal from Jewish historian Adam Raz, from the Institute for Studies "Akvot.

On Friday, the sealed documents were opened, and they revealed what is known as the "Mole" plan to displace the residents of the Little Triangle area to Jordan.

Shadmi admitted during the court that there is a connection between the plan and the Kafr Qasim massacre. This was also confirmed by the rest of the defendants.

Shadmi believed that killing a number of citizens will sow panic and terror among the citizens, and they will leave the town.

Several officers admitted that they discussed the possibility of occupying Jordan one day before the massacre, and therefore they were on alert.

In his testimony to the court, Levy said that the company commander told him clearly that he "wanted a number of deaths,” adding that despite human sentiment, war is war and the “Mole" plan warned of the danger of turning the Arabs into hostile citizens.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.