Mourinho Calls and Players Come Running to Join Him at Roma

Roma's head coach Jose Mourinho kisses the Europa Conference League trophy at the end of the final match between AS Roma and Feyenoord at National Arena in Tirana, Albania, on May 25, 2022. (AP)
Roma's head coach Jose Mourinho kisses the Europa Conference League trophy at the end of the final match between AS Roma and Feyenoord at National Arena in Tirana, Albania, on May 25, 2022. (AP)
TT

Mourinho Calls and Players Come Running to Join Him at Roma

Roma's head coach Jose Mourinho kisses the Europa Conference League trophy at the end of the final match between AS Roma and Feyenoord at National Arena in Tirana, Albania, on May 25, 2022. (AP)
Roma's head coach Jose Mourinho kisses the Europa Conference League trophy at the end of the final match between AS Roma and Feyenoord at National Arena in Tirana, Albania, on May 25, 2022. (AP)

Always known as a great motivator, José Mourinho is also excelling as a pitchman in his latest coaching job at Roma.

When “Mou” calls, players come running to the Italian capital.

It all started a year ago when Mourinho lured Tammy Abraham away from European champion Chelsea to join him in Rome.

At first, the young striker wasn’t all that convinced about joining a team that hadn’t won a trophy in nearly 15 years and has historically been a notch below Italy's northern powers Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan.

Then Mourinho asked him: “Do you want to stay in rainy England or come enjoy some sun in Rome?”

That sealed the $41 million transfer and Abraham went on to score 27 goals in all competitions last season, including nine in Roma’s run to the Europa Conference League title.

Around about the same time, Mourinho convinced Henrikh Mkhitaryan — who was itching to leave Rome — to stay one more season and reunite with his former coach at Manchester United.

This season’s transfer campaign began with Mourinho luring another player from England, midfielder Nemanja Matić, who had played under him at both Chelsea and United.

Then came the biggest name of all, Paulo Dybala, who spurned interest from Champions League clubs Inter Milan and Napoli to join Roma on a free transfer.

“The coach was very clear with his ideas — which was one of the biggest reasons for my choice,” Dybala said. “Everyone knows what he represents in soccer. His calls got me excited. I’ve had the privilege to play with the greatest (players) and now I can work with one of the best coaches in soccer history.”

The arrival of Dybala, who was named Serie A’s MVP two seasons ago, has Roma fans dreaming of more trophies — like the domestic league titles that Mourinho became so accustomed to winning earlier in his career at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

That was before Mourinho’s career met some turbulence in his previous job at Tottenham, where dressing-room apathy and growing disillusionment at his tactics cost him his position at the London club after 17 months.

So far, though, Mourinho has been a perfect fit for Roma, which has a big fan base in a major European capital but which had been starved of trophies.

“I realized the moment I arrived what it meant — that they were waiting for this,” Mourinho said after raising the Conference League trophy in May.

The Conference title improved Mourinho’s record in European finals to five trophies in five matches. It also made him the first coach to lead four different clubs to European titles after winning the 2003 UEFA Cup and 2004 Champions League finals with Porto; the 2010 Champions League final with Inter Milan; and the 2017 Europa League final with Manchester United.

To commemorate his status as the only coach to win all three of the current European titles on offer, Mourinho put a tattoo of the Europa League, Champions League and Conference League trophies on his right arm.

“Now I am staying, there are no doubts,” said Mourinho, who is entering the second season of a three-year contract. “I only want to remain at Roma. We must understand what our owners, who are fantastic people, want to do next season, because this is history, but we can build a really strong project with honest professionals.”

Players like Dybala were attracted to Mourinho’s revival of Roma, which has reignited the team's fan base.

“For us South Americans, it’s special playing in the (Stadio) Olimpico,” said Dybala, an Argentina international. “It makes you feel like you’re in Argentina or Brazil, which isn’t something easy to find in Europe. So playing for these fans will be something unique.”

Dybala’s arrival has been compared to how the transfer of Gabriel Batistuta — another Argentina standout — was considered the key move in helping Roma win its last Serie A title in 2001.

"(Roma’s moves) could change the hierarchy among Serie A’s big clubs,” said Fabio Capello, who coached the Giallorossi in 2001. “Roma has become a real contender.”



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.