Nasrallah’s Call for Beirut Blast Probe Judge to Step Down Rejected by Judiciary

04 August 2022, Lebanon, Beirut: Families of the victims of 04 August 2020 Beirut port blast, carry symbolic coffins of their beloved ones who were killed in the devastated explosion, during a mock funeral procession to mark the 2nd anniversary of the incident. (dpa)
04 August 2022, Lebanon, Beirut: Families of the victims of 04 August 2020 Beirut port blast, carry symbolic coffins of their beloved ones who were killed in the devastated explosion, during a mock funeral procession to mark the 2nd anniversary of the incident. (dpa)
TT

Nasrallah’s Call for Beirut Blast Probe Judge to Step Down Rejected by Judiciary

04 August 2022, Lebanon, Beirut: Families of the victims of 04 August 2020 Beirut port blast, carry symbolic coffins of their beloved ones who were killed in the devastated explosion, during a mock funeral procession to mark the 2nd anniversary of the incident. (dpa)
04 August 2022, Lebanon, Beirut: Families of the victims of 04 August 2020 Beirut port blast, carry symbolic coffins of their beloved ones who were killed in the devastated explosion, during a mock funeral procession to mark the 2nd anniversary of the incident. (dpa)

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah’s call for the dismissal of the judge probing the cataclysmic 2020 blast at Beirut port was ignored by the judiciary.

The probe has been suspended since the beginning of the year after officials, who have been charged in the blast, demanded Judge Tarek Bitar’s dismissal.

In televised remarks on Thursday, Nasrallah alleged that the greatest obstacle in the investigation has been its "politicization".

He accused "political and media sides of exploiting the calamity for political gain the moment it happened."

He claimed that some sides have "inhumanely taken advantage of the pain of families to pursue their political goals and the goals of their backers in confronting the resistance and Hezbollah."

Moreover, Nasrallah said his party has "authentic and military explosives and is in no need for ammonium nitrate to make bombs."

The blast was caused by the detonation of ammonium nitrate that was improperly stored for years at the port, in a densely residential area, with the knowledge of senior officials, including the president.

The greatest obstacle hindering the probe "is the person who is refusing to step down," continued Nasrallah, referring to Bitar.

He called for returning to "honest judicial work" and for "opening a new line of investigation so that those responsible for the tragedy can be held to account."

"You must stop politicizing the case if you want to reach the truth," he remarked.

Nasrallah’s calls were largely dismissed by judicial circles.

A judicial source told Asharq Al-Awsat that Nasrallah’s position is political and "does not bind the investigative judge with anything."

His remarks will have no impact on the probe, which is being held in complete secrecy, he added.

The port blast and the victims have not been and will not be a means for political extortion and gain, he vowed.

Thousands of protesters marched tearfully in the Lebanese capital on Thursday, marking two years since the explosion, with chants denouncing the government's failure to uncover the truth behind the blast.

In a grim reminder of the disaster, several grain silos that were left heavily damaged by the blast collapsed on Thursday afternoon, only hundreds of meters from where crowds were gathering at the city's waterfront.

The blast damaged swathes of the city on Aug 4, 2020, killing at least 220 people. One of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history, it was caused by massive stores of ammonium nitrate kept at the site in the port and neglected since 2013.

President Michel Aoun said days after the blast that he had been warned about the chemical stores at the port and asked security chiefs to do what is necessary.

The prime minister at the time also said he had been informed - but no one warned the population about the dangers of the materials.

Shiite Hezbollah and its ally Amal have been the main opponents of the probe, accusing Bitar of bias after he charged senior Amal Movement politicians and sought to question other top security and political officials.

The probe has been stalled for months due to the refusal of an Amal-backed minister to sign an administrative decree.

Families of victims have pressed the UN Human Rights Council to establish an international enquiry and on Thursday protested outside the French embassy in Beirut, urging Paris to back an external investigation.

Speaking alongside demonstrators, Human Rights Watch researcher Aya Majzoub said France has blocked efforts to set up an external investigation for political reasons.

In an interview with francophone Lebanese daily L'Orient Le Jour published Wednesday, French President Emmanuel Macron said he had proposed an international investigation to Lebanese authorities, but that they had opted for a local one instead.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said Thursday marked "two years without justice", and called in a Twitter post for "an impartial, thorough and transparent investigation" - a plea echoed by the European Union's delegation in Beirut.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.