Wolfsburg’s Kovac Returns to Bayern Munich with a Point to Prove

Pointing the way: Niko Kovac guided Wolfsburg to a 2-2 draw with Bremen in his first Bundesliga game in charge and now leads them to Munich Ronny Hartmann AFP
Pointing the way: Niko Kovac guided Wolfsburg to a 2-2 draw with Bremen in his first Bundesliga game in charge and now leads them to Munich Ronny Hartmann AFP
TT

Wolfsburg’s Kovac Returns to Bayern Munich with a Point to Prove

Pointing the way: Niko Kovac guided Wolfsburg to a 2-2 draw with Bremen in his first Bundesliga game in charge and now leads them to Munich Ronny Hartmann AFP
Pointing the way: Niko Kovac guided Wolfsburg to a 2-2 draw with Bremen in his first Bundesliga game in charge and now leads them to Munich Ronny Hartmann AFP

When new Wolfsburg coach Niko Kovac makes his return to the Allianz Arena to take on Bayern this Sunday, he is unlikely to receive the warm welcome former double winners would usually be afforded.

Kovac coached Bayern to a Bundesliga and German Cup double in 2018-19, but was forced out of the club midway through 2019-20 with his side fourth after a 5-1 loss to Eintracht Frankfurt, AFP said.

He was replaced by former mentor and current Germany manager Hansi Flick who guided Bayern to an eighth straight Bundesliga title as well as the 2020 Champions League

Now coached by Julian Nagelsmann, Bayern romped to a 6-1 opening day win over Frankfurt and again look among the best teams in Europe.

Wolfsburg opened their season with a 2-2 home draw against promoted Werder Bremen.

Kovac's road back to the Allianz has been rockier, although he has at times demonstrated the quality that attracted Bayern in the first place.

In an 18-month spell in Ligue 1, he took Monaco from relegation candidates to a chance at winning the title on the final matchday of the 2020-21 season, beating Paris Saint-German twice along the way.

Although he was sacked early in the following season after a disappointing exit from the Champions League qualifying rounds, every member of Monaco's young side improved under Kovac, something Wolves fans will hope he emulates in Lower Saxony.

Kovac said on Thursday his side "will have our chances (against Bayern), although there certainly won't be too many".

He encouraged his team to keep focused even if they fall behind against the 31-time German champions.

"If you fall apart against Bayern, it will be hefty. But we have ideas to withstand the Bayern pressing" he told Germany's SID.

With 11 goals in two competitive games since Robert Lewandowski's departure Bayern are far from enduring a goal drought.

Speaking about his side's potency without the Polish striker so far in 2022-23, Nagelsmann told Bild "it's been interesting for us to see how we can do it without Lewandowski."

"The successes with Lewandowski are in the past, this team is the future."

- One to watch: Nico Schlotterbeck (Borussia Dortmund) -New Borussia Dortmund defender Nico Schlotterbeck, 22, returns to former club Freiburg on Friday, where he made 56 appearances and was named man of the match in their 2-1 home win over Dortmund last season.

Dortmund's leaky defense has held them back in recent years – they conceded more goals than any other team in the top eight of the Bundesliga last year despite finishing second – but they've kept two clean sheets in two games with Schlotterbeck.

Schlotterbeck has also demonstrated the toughness Dortmund has lacked, playing on in his side's 1-0 win over Leverkusen on Saturday despite dislocating his shoulder.

In a midweek appearance on German TV, he endeared himself to Dortmund fans by throwing some shade at derby rivals Schalke. With presenters discussing the weekend's 'top game' between Borussia Moenchengladbach and Schalke, he asked "they have top games at Schalke?"

Key statsZero from 25 – Wolfsburg have played 25 times at Bayern and have lost 23 times, with two draws. No Bundesliga team has played so many away games against one opponent without managing to win at least once.

60 percent – Werder Bremen forwards Niclas Fuellkrug and Marvin Ducksch scored 39 of their side's 65 goals in the Bundesliga 2 in 2021-22, assisting each other on ten occasions. Fuellkrug already has one goal and Ducksch one assist from one game in 2022-23.

90 goals in 156 appearances – That's Timo Werner's goalscoring record at Leipzig (he's also contributed 40 assists), making him their all-time top scorer. Werner returned from Chelsea on a permanent deal this week and is on track to play against Cologne on Saturday.

Fixtures (all times 1330 GMT unless stated)Friday

SC Freiburg v Borussia Dortmund (1830)

Saturday

Hoffenheim v VfL Bochum, Werder Bremen v VfB Stuttgart, RB Leipzig v Cologne, Bayer Leverkusen v Augsburg, Hertha v Eintracht Frankfurt (1330), Schalke v Borussia Moenchengladbach (1630)

Sunday

Mainz v Union Berlin (1330), Bayern v Wolfsburg (1530)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.